IGNORED

Atari XE Game System: Worth it?

7800Lover

I was reading up on the Atari XE Game System, basically a repackaged Atari XE65 computer. I vividly remember the old commercials for it on TV where they pitched it as being superior to the Nintendo Entertainment System (!) because it played both cartridge and disk-based games plus functioned as a computer. It did have a light gun (something the Atari 2600 and 7800 lacked on their own at least).

From what I understand, its games were mainly repackaged Atari 8-bit computer games, sometimes even having the almost exact same packaging.

I'm sufficiently intrigued. If anyone of you owns/owned a XEGS or know enough about the system, I want your input. Is it a worthy console to have in your collection? Are the games fun? Or is it just something best left in the junk heap?

If you already have an Atari XL or XE computer, you're not missing anything by not having an XEGS, since it is essentially the same system. The games that were released (or re-released) on cartridge for the XEGS are also compatible with the 800/XL/XE computers, although some of them require 64K of RAM.

The XEGS has its critics, but it's grown on me. It's the only 8-bit Atari computer with a detachable keyboard, and it can be easily extended with a DB15 joystick extension cable (just make sure you get one with molded connectors; the screw-in types won't work). The XEGS also has built-in composite A/V connectors, so you can use a regular RCA cable to connect it to your TV. The angled joystick ports can be a pain if you switch controllers often, and some people dislike the pastel-colored console buttons, but I think the overall design looks pretty good. Pick up an inexpensive XEGS and add an internal MyIDE controller and flash module, and you've got a nice, compact Atari game system with an instant library of hundreds of games!

In my opinion it's no different than an Atari computer. I have a broken one in the closet. It powered up and worked a few years ago, but now it just sits there (as of a few months ago when I tried it again).

Unless you are desperate to have everything Atari, just get an 800xl or 130xe...or even a 65xe...

I was reading up on the Atari XE Game System, basically a repackaged Atari XE65 computer. I vividly remember the old commercials for it on TV where they pitched it as being superior to the Nintendo Entertainment System (!) because it played both cartridge and disk-based games plus functioned as a computer. It did have a light gun (something the Atari 2600 and 7800 lacked on their own at least).

From what I understand, its games were mainly repackaged Atari 8-bit computer games, sometimes even having the almost exact same packaging.

I'm sufficiently intrigued. If anyone of you owns/owned a XEGS or know enough about the system, I want your input. Is it a worthy console to have in your collection? Are the games fun? Or is it just something best left in the junk heap?

The repackaging of the games was beneficial, from the standpoint of the convenience of having the titles on cart rather than disk(s). It's not really much of an issue these days with high-speed modern loading devices, but it's still nice to have the additions to the cartridge portion of the 8-bit library. There were also new titles released in the XE packaging including: Barnyard Blaster, Bug Hunt, Choplifter, Commando (proto), Crime Buster, Crossbow, Crystal Castles, Dark Chambers, Deflektor (proto), Desert Falcon, Food Fight, Gato, Into the Eagles Nest, Mario Bros.,Tower Toppler and Xenophobe (proto).

The XEGS itself... I like it. It's a unique machine with the separate/detachable keyboard and a top-loading cart slot (unlike the other XEs), although I prefer the other XE machines to it, mainly for looks and compactness. You get composite video out of the box without needing any special cables, which is better than the typical RF.

As for the rest of the library, you can poke around on Atarimania.com to see what's available for the system.

All Atari computers are new to me so I get a bit confused...

I read some threads before and it seemed a good idea to get the 800xl. I don't remember why it seemed better than the 800xe but I liked what I saw about the 800xl for its compatibility with 400/800 games.

Now reading about this Atari Game System I think it's a great Atari hardware for a gamer that wants to jump into the atari computer games... But I don't know if it's compatible with the 400 titles and if it's compatible with many drivers, joystick etc.

If I'm not derailing the thread, I would like to ask what is the best Atari computer for games.

I think it's great when you can play all the games (400, 800, 800xl, 800xe etc) with many accessories ( joystick, lightgun, trackball, keyboard etc) and not that difficult/expensive to set (don't need special monitor, drivers etc or they are avaible and cheap).

I read some threads before and it seemed a good idea to get the 800xl. I don't remember why it seemed better than the 800xe but I liked what I saw about the 800xl for its compatibility with 400/800 games.

The 800XE didn't have a NTSC release and many latter-year computers have a buggy GTIA; it has limited appeal for many modern users.

Now reading about this Atari Game System I think it's a great Atari hardware for a gamer that wants to jump into the atari computer games... But I don't know if it's compatible with the 400 titles and if it's compatible with many drivers, joystick etc.

I can't imagine, as a casual user, that you'd encounter any of the very few compatibility problems you may encounter with a very few older 400/800 titles. The main drawback to the XEGS is the fact that the detachable keyboard isn't particularly good and that its cord isn't particularly long. I believe that there was a 3rd party keyboard cord extension available, but can't remember who produced this.

Games relying on artifacting (Tower Toppler) aren't particularly attractive on the XEGS, either.

If I'm not derailing the thread, I would like to ask what is the best Atari computer for games.

I think it's great when you can play all the games (400, 800, 800xl, 800xe etc) with many accessories ( joystick, lightgun, trackball, keyboard etc) and not that difficult/expensive to set (don't need special monitor, drivers etc or they are avaible and cheap).

Your best bet would probably be a S-Video, RAM-upgraded XL model with a SIO2SD device.

• Like 1

It remains to be seen, but the best/most compatible machine may end up being an 800 with an Incognito board installed. No S-Video upgrade necessary, but the Incognito will cost you. Having said that, the Incognito is a very low priced device considering what it promises to do.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The repackaging of the games was beneficial, from the standpoint of the convenience of having the titles on cart rather than disk(s). It's not really much of an issue these days with high-speed modern loading devices, but it's still nice to have the additions to the cartridge portion of the 8-bit library. There were also new titles released in the XE packaging including: Barnyard Blaster, Bug Hunt, Choplifter, Commando (proto), Crime Buster, Crossbow, Crystal Castles, Dark Chambers, Deflektor (proto), Desert Falcon, Food Fight, Gato, Into the Eagles Nest, Mario Bros.,Tower Toppler and Xenophobe (proto).

The XEGS itself... I like it. It's a unique machine with the separate/detachable keyboard and a top-loading cart slot (unlike the other XEs), although I prefer the other XE machines to it, mainly for looks and compactness. You get composite video out of the box without needing any special cables, which is better than the typical RF.

As for the rest of the library, you can poke around on Atarimania.com to see what's available for the system.

Was Bug Hunt released in a boxed version? Or did it just come with the console. Thanx.

It remains to be seen, but the best/most compatible machine may end up being an 800 with an Incognito board installed. No S-Video upgrade necessary, but the Incognito will cost you. Having said that, the Incognito is a very low priced device considering what it promises to do.

While I have that setup and agree in principle, a user looking for a games machine might be better off with a plain 800XL (for its better build quality compared to the XEs). Installing the Incognito requires a complete teardown of the machine which might be too formidable a task for an Atari newbie and actually getting an Incognito is another story.

While I have that setup and agree in principle, a user looking for a games machine might be better off with a plain 800XL (for its better build quality compared to the XEs). Installing the Incognito requires a complete teardown of the machine which might be too formidable a task for an Atari newbie and actually getting an Incognito is another story.

There are people who can do installations for newbies, and the comment was made when availability wasn't an issue. My comment was also in response to Liduario's (now aka LidLikesIntellivision) question about what is the best Atari 8-bit for games, in terms of compatibility, not a response to the OP who was just asking general opinions about the XEGS.

Edited by MrFish

I love the 800, for it's looks, keyboard, and two slots. But the 800XL with the Atarimax 32-1 OS chip and the memory upgrade is a hard machine to beat.

XEGS are the bastard stepchild of Atari 8bit. I compare it to the 1200xl in strangeness. Pros: unique styling, detachable keyboard, top cart slot, composite video. Cons: HUGE, cheap mainboard construction, short keyboard cable. Are they worth it? Yes. You will see these going up in price in the near future. Get one just to have one, and plug in a blue or green MyIde II. You can get a new motherboard for $50.00 plus ship from Best or B&C.

Or buy a 600xl, upgrade it to 64k and put composite video in it. It will have the smallest footprint of any Atari 8bit, and run almost all games, and the motherboard is socketed on ALL of them, so you can replace chips if you need to, easily. compatibility? Get a translator cart from Video61...it will allow you to run the few 400/800 games that are not compatible, Gorf being the most important one.

• Like 1

An 800XL w/ S-video mod is probably the best bet if you want something reliable. An SIO2SD would be a good idea too rather than dealing with floppies.

A RAM expansion is nice if you want to play disk conversions of big carts or run SpartaDOS X. I don't know if Ctirad is still selling the RAM 320XL external RAM expansion or not. Ultimate 1MB is an easy internal expansion though.

The XEGS is basically just a 65XE w/ standard composite jack vs. monitor port. Nothing real special and the pastel buttons are an eye sore.

IMHO the best Atari 8-bit for games depends on usage. On a desk, the 800XL is a winner. On a livingroom TV, I prefer a 5200 w/ rebuilt analog sticks (or WIco+keypad) and extension cables.

The 130XE is nice too but 800XL is usually a more reliable machine and easier to upgrade.

• 1 month later...