IGNORED

Planetary Defense 2012

Klankster

has this game been posted for download someplace yet? Did I miss a link in this thread for the file/disk image?

Go to http://analog.klanky.com/8bit.htm -- about halfway down the page is a download link.

One last thing; why no graphical update? maybe some multi-colored player/missle graphics? Or is that just too much rewriting?

I just decided to keep it simple and retain the clean look of the original. We have an "ultimate" version we're working on for the iPhone that looks a lot alike as far as the playfield and bombs go, but has MASSIVE graphics upgrades in explosions and gameplay. We really took advantage of the faster processor and graphics capability on that.

If you could it would be greatly appreciated if you could add Atari Touch Tablet support. I think it's just the reverse of the Koala tablet.

Should be doable; I thought they both used the same setup. Let me check -- I think I may have a Touch Tablet here to test that with. If you run this build with the Touch Tablet, are both axes reversed? Or just X or Y?

Tom,

I wrote a Windows Phone 7 leader board article for CodeProject earlier this year.

http://www.codeproje...hone-7-XNA-Game

Just wondering how you built yours? Query string, web service or some other method?

Bill

It's a simple custom PHP script I wrote. When a game completes, the code builds a URL query string, like this:

analog.klanky.com/leaderboards/SaveScore.php?game=PD2012&name=HUD-----&level=23&score=030400&key=...

The PHP script parses it all out and makes sure the key is valid for the given score and level (prevents people from posting bogus scores), and if it's valid it looks up the player name in a SQL database and updates their high score for this game. It's all set up to handle any number of games in the future. A lot of fun to set up -- and I thought it was kind of neat to have an old Atari 8-bit program saving scores on the Internet!

Edited by Klankster
  • Like 2

Should be doable; I thought they both used the same setup. Let me check -- I think I may have a Touch Tablet here to test that with. If you run this build with the Touch Tablet, are both axes reversed? Or just X or Y?

It's just the up and down that's different.

Allan

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm afraid this is not going to work on my phone. You see it's an old flip phone and doesn't even text. My wife has been after me for years

(ten to be exact) to get out of the stone age, but it does all I need it to do... make calls. And $12.00 a month is nice too.

DavidMil

• Like 2

Good to see a fellow 'stone age' person, I because of being mainly at home do not actual have a working phone bar my land line, for me a phone just needs to do two things, make calls, receive calls, that's it. I don't want all the social media via the internet nor do I want to control my life via a phone so this pandering to have the latest super phone just leaves me cold.

Its not because I don't like tech its purely that I see the phone as a life hub these days, I'd rather meet people face to face nor do I want to tweet that I've just woken up and had breakfast...

Sad really...

A nice cheap phone works for me...

• Like 2

I have a phone that is the hub of everything.

I'd quite happily drop the phone side of it. I rarely make calls and only get annoyed being contacted when I don't need to be.

A landline would suffice. But every time I've been without a mobile phone, I've been harassed to get one, just so that I can be contacted by others when I don't want to be contactable.

I'd happily trade it in for a WIFI tablet. People can call me at home if they really need me.

• Like 1

14 years ago the fortune 500 company that I worked for bought this phone for me. When I retired four years ago they said I could keep it if I'd transfer

the service to myself. I think that the main reason I hate mobile phones is that every time it rang, 99% of the time it was someone having a

computer problem. I was on call 24 /7, and people didn't seem to mind if it was 2AM or Christmas day. I'd get an average of ten to 30 after

hour calls every week. This went on for ten years before the extra money didn't make it worth all the 'have to be nice to idiot user' conversations!

I retired at 60 to prevent my head from exploding! See why I hate cell phones?

DavidMil

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty cool to see Tom Hudson posting here - back in the day ANALOG was THE magazine for me (I liked Antic, but loved ANALOG). Many nights with my brother typing in the machine code games they would publish like Harvey Wallbanger and Livewire!

Even better, he's still involved with the Atari scene. Doesn't get much better than that!!

Edited by rdefabri
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

Nice bump! I didn't remember about the update, or the Analog site by Tom! Though I asked about it in 2012, I forgot, it must have been right about the time my 1200XL broke and I put it in storage for 3-4 years. 

It was interesting to read that ANALOG was an acronym for Atari Newsletter And Lots Of Games. I never knew that. I always just thought it was a pun, since the Atari computer is DIGITAL and a magazine for it is ANALOG, being paper and all...though it still works even if it wasn't their intention...? I'll have to check this game out (on my 

real Atari of course). I see it can use a Koala Pad, though I have an Atari touch tablet, so I'll have to see about converting it for use with it, since the only difference is one of the axis is opposite...

Edited by Gunstar

You should be able to change this game to use an Atari Touch Tablet. The original Planetary Defense was published in Analog magazine #17, which you is http://www.atarimania.com/mags/pdf/analog_no_17.pdf

The game is written in Assembly Language - the source code is very well documented.

I modified this game many years ago to use the Atari Touch Tablet, but can't locate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Count me in as another who didn't know the ANALOG meaning, I thought the same as Gunstar....

You live and learn, as they say...

I still prefer thinking of it as I always have, it's a lot more clever, IMHO. The real name 'Atari Newsletter And Lots Of Games' is very pedestrian, IMHO, which I think they chose because it becomes a pun of digital vs. analog. I just didn't realize it was an acronym used to make a pun, I just thought it a straight-forward pun.

Edited by Gunstar

Yeah, its a bit of a let down to know it was something so damn ordinary, its sent those memories from back in the day of seeing the mag and imagining star ships and Star Raiders type type stuff to a bloke who writes a newsletter that  looks a bit like me, older and a bit porky sat at a desk with disks all over the place and maybe a dribble of the other nights dinner down his shirt...

Basically, its ruined it for me :)

It's funny, because when I think back, I was always aware of the period marks after every letter, but the word analog just took my mind straight to Digital & Analog and I guess I just paid little attention to the periods or thought it was just part of the font maybe. I never saw the first issues and early issues until recently, and still really gave the acronym starring me in the face no mind.  

I think this is my favorite Analog cover, though I only have about a quarter of the issues in original analog format. All the others I've only downloaded PDF's of in recent years, and still have to read many.

IMG_20190711_074644.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

We can only be proud of what it became, it was an important  magazine for the US based peeps, we got it here in the UK at times, I seem to remember Maplin started to bring it in for a while but like many Maplin schemes it was half baked..The money they wasted on computer based stuff that was so poorly thought out...Twas like two blokes who started a stall and kept that same mentality to business...Thank gawd for us good managers ;)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/2/2012 at 5:05 PM, Klankster said:

So I added a new "TOUCHSCREEN" mode which, when used on the upcoming release of the Colleen emulator, will take advantage of this feature and let you simply tap on the screen to fire. Running the game on actual Atari hardware will still work with the joystick or Koalapad.

This is awesome!

Was the source to the 2012 version of Planetary Defense ever posted?

We'd like to support this mode in Argon, and if the source is out there, I'd probably re-compile it with ca65 and try making a 5200 version at the same time.

Also, if any other games were supported by Colleen for touch input, would love to hear about those too.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 7:58 PM, FifthPlayer said:

Also, it might be a good idea to support high score leaderboards through Fujinet.

Fujinet already supports networking. It is just a matter of writing Fujinet specific "B:" Handler.

The only drawback of the Fujinet implementation: no user feedback after high score submission.

If anybody wants to play the game on the real hardware and submit his high score:

the attached pd2012.atr includes the B: device handler (automatically loaded) and the game itself.

This version of the B: Handler is compatible with RespeQt Software and SIO2BT Android app.
To enable "URL submit" support, go to RespeQt Options and enable the corresponding checkbox (in SIO2BT app, you have to enable "Smart Device" in the app settings).

I also included the source code (B.asm) for the B: Handler.

RespeQt.thumb.jpg.d2605e2be8b2f26d8a87f34ab88e9768.jpg

pd2012.atr B.asm

• Like 1