IGNORED

1200XL Code Name

Tempest

Sweet-16 was the Project codename, not the product codename, also the 600XL was under the Sweet-8 Project codename, however the original early 600 (not XL) was codenamed "LIZ-NY" Then the later version was codenamed: (Shirley in NY, Surely in CA)

Dave Sovey who was one of the HCD Engineers on the 1200XL project and Gary Summers who was head of the Atari Semiconductor group have both mentioned that an initial codename for the 1200XL was "Gay" but that it was immediately dropped...

My scanner is offline right now awaiting the arrival of a new SCSI card, I have several engineering notes on the whole 1200XL design process as well as notes on its New York Debut, I will see about scanning them and posting up along with the full scans of the original Sweet-16 Project document as opposed to the small amounts of text I posted from it.

Also I don't know if anyone is aware, the original "Translator" for the 1200XL was actually 2 seperate disks, one was 95% compatible, the other was for 'All else" weird, huh? :-)

Also I've been speaking with George Kulcher, one of the XL line peripheral designers who did the Atari 1020 and 1025, he is telling me more about several other proto printers in the works including a 1022, will give more details as they come to me....

Curt

Dave Sovey who was one of the HCD Engineers on the 1200XL project and Gary Summers who was head of the Atari Semiconductor group have both mentioned that an initial codename for the 1200XL was "Gay" but that it was immediately dropped...

Haha... I can see it now:

Atari Engineer 1: What project are you working on?

Atari Engineer 2: I'm working on that Gay project.

Atari Engineer 1: "The WHAT project?"

Atari Engineer 2: "Haven't you heard? Atari's latest computer is Gay?"

What were they thinking? That is too funny. No one better call my 1200XL Gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)...

Tempest

Building an actual museum....

If the damn lottery would stop giving out the wrong numbers and select mine instead I'd get that museum built! ;-)

Actually the logistics and costs of permanent museum are quite a challenge that both myself and Karl in the UK have looked into, plus then it limits access to those in the area and those who are willing to travel, so for now its more of a traveling museum going to various shows around the country who have requested it or shows who have asked to take items on loan for display their, so I do the best to try and allow the items to be seen, picked up and if functional, to be played or tried out in person which a lot of people seem to enjoy...

Right now there are several pieces traveling around the world from a Computer Space out in Europe to several computers on the West Coast and several other items like schematics and mechanical drawings on loan up in New England, so items do the make the rounds and get a lot of exposure, I hope as time goes by and as both time and finances allow, this will be greatly expanded and enhanced.

Curt