IGNORED

Midway Arcade Origins

cimerians

What superior version of Hard Drivin' do you have? I could see selecting the Race Drivin' port on the Sega Saturn over what was on Midway Arcade Treasures 3, but the only versions of Hard Drivin' outside of MAT2 that I recall are archaic ports on contemporary home hardware when the arcade game was new.

Superior for me, anyway.

I enjoy the version on the Genesis. I can play that herky jerky thing for hours and love every second of it. (Technically it's Race Drivin', but I prefer the Original track to the Super Stunt track.)

The arcade game was undeniably cool, but I didn't get to play it very much. The version I bonded with, for better or worse, was the Genesis port.

Playing some of these standalone arcade releases on XBLA the past few days is depressing. 80-90,000 people on the leaderboards at $5 a pop and this $30 retail release with over 30 games (Many of which are legitimate classics) is barely breaking 2,000 users in just a handful of the games (And ever fewer I gather over on the PS3). The math sure doesn't add up to this fine effort being a commercial success or being their direction of choice in the future.

I hope they take a chance with a follow up this Fall just the same and hopefully are better rewarded for it.

In most cases, there was a suitable replacement available (Vindicators Part 2 is fine), the game is better played on some other port (Roadblasters, Hard Drivin'), or the game just doesn't hold my attention like it did back in the arcades (Narc).

What's your version of choice for Roadblasters? I was assuming you were referring to the Playstation compilation that included it (Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection Volume II), but now I'm guessing it's an older home version of it.

The Genesis version is an extremely nice conversion if you've never had the opportunity to try it (Although I'm betting that's what you play in light of where you play Race Drivin').

Dang...I got the PS3 version. Maybe I can fork over 15 bucks for used copy on the 360......

It's widely available for $20 new so I'm sure good deals can be had.

I'm tempted to buy the PS3 version to support them a bit more and to see how it turned out. Plus I'm a sucker for classic compilations in general (I own Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on both as well).

Edited by Atariboy

What's your version of choice for Roadblasters?

One of the Roadblasters versions I used to play a lot was the one on the PS1 collection disc. I have a PS1 steering wheel and it made that version of the game playable. I haven't messed with that version in years, because getting the wheel hooked up and set up is a pain in the ass for just Roadblasters, Spy Hunter, and RayTracers, which were the only games that wheel was ever any good with. (And I don't even have RayTracers anymore.)

I bounce back and forth between the Genesis and NES ports of the Roadblasters. When I want to enjoy the graphics and have my ass kicked, I play the Genesis version. When I just want to kick back and play for a while, I play the NES version.

There's some sort of calibration bug. What I do is start the game, hit the kick button to select novice mode by moving outwards instead of towards pro mode in the center, and when the game starts and I have control of my character, I spin the stick a couple of times. It always rights it for the rest of the game so the direction I push is the direction my character heads towards.

There's some sort of calibration bug. What I do is start the game, hit the kick button to select novice mode by moving outwards instead of towards pro mode in the center, and when the game starts and I have control of my character, I spin the stick a couple of times. It always rights it for the rest of the game so the direction I push is the direction my character heads towards.

Gonna try that. Thanks!!!!

Does anyone ever have control issues in Defender? Been reaquainting myself with it here and on the standalone XBLA release and I'm having control issues with various controllers where my ship doesn't want to change course and respond to my inputs.

Not to mention that the startup audio when the game starts is completely botched on here.

• 4 months later...

Anyone think that there's a chance for a follow-up to this?

Xbox 360 leaderboard numbers don't give me much optimism and the death of the developer makes the chances even slimmer. But this game wasn't announced until September of last year so I suppose there's still an outside chance yet that we will get some of the missing games from the Midway Arcade Treasures trilogy and hopefully several new additions in a sequel.

I'm hoping something will be released to give me a reason to take this disc out of my hard drive. Hasn't left it since Christmas. :)

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 months later...

I just picked up the 360 version yesterday for 10 bucks. I have the PS3 and the 360 version now. I know it's stupid and a waste of money but I hope in some small way my action added to the cause of supporting retro compilations on modern $500 machines. :P

Anyone think that there's a chance for a follow-up to this?

I have no idea and I hope this isn't the final compilation we ever see. I know it doesn't make sense to release these types of things over and over again but I like them and will support them whenever I can.

The thing is someone should do it like they did Gameroom on Xbox360 but make it BETTER, like market a controller to play with the games (paddle and joystick) and try and get every classic publisher under one roof. Probably will never happen cause Nintendo will never comply and I don't think Namco and Capcom would either.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

One of maybe five games that I voted for in their poll for future additions to the Xbox One's backwards compatibility list. :)

checked back, and the leaderboards are working as before.

so they cloned the xbox 360 ones.

Surely it's the same leaderboards with the same data as already existed?

What would Microsoft gain by having to have two sets of leaderboards up for applicable backwards compatible titles, with scores instantly copies across to the other so that everyone on each platform can see everyone's scores?

Seems like an unnecessary complication with no benefit for a title such as this one. If BC players can play with native 360 players via online multiplayer, surely the same leaderboard data can be shared across platforms as well?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

One of maybe five games that I voted for in their poll for future additions to the Xbox One's backwards compatibility list. :)

Surely it's the same leaderboards with the same data as already existed?

What would Microsoft gain by having to have two sets of leaderboards up for applicable backwards compatible titles, with scores instantly copies across to the other so that everyone on each platform can see everyone's scores?

Seems like an unnecessary complication with no benefit for a title such as this one. If BC players can play with native 360 players via online multiplayer, surely the same leaderboard data can be shared across platforms as well?

i've noticed discrepancy with standalone titles.

it all depends on what title it is, and whether it's a new port or not.

there's no guarantee that leaderboard integrity will be retained.

later

• 6 years later...

With WB departing Antstream, this is one of the only ways to play the Williams, Midway, and post-1984 Atari arcade games on modern hardware without resorting to ROMs. This 10-year-old package of 40-year-old games is on sale for $5 for a few more days in the Xbox store. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/midway-arcade-origins/bs97kvxlt9lk

This made me smile. The screenshots are locked behind an age filter. 

Screenshot_2023-12-12_at_12_44.25_PM.thumb.webp.b2ab30d8be78cec7321ce3e8d4f33905.webp

Would you like to know what they were hiding? Lock up your children, and take a peek:

Screenshot_2023-12-12_at_12_44.49_PM.thumb.webp.c29b6eb016f84ec3cad229a05d02d492.webp

Screenshot_2023-12-12_at_12_45.04_PM.thumb.webp.3779cbf499c89354cd5b3015bded76dc.webp

Shocking!

But at least you get to play decent versions of Defender, Joust, Robotron, and the rest. Five bucks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

This made me smile. The screenshots are locked behind an age filter.

Yeah, this is really annoying, as the age filter even comes up for retro games with "pixel violence". 😑 Between that and the fact the PlayStation Store doesn't show any screen cap or video anymore, and you often have to rely on the Switch eShop alone to know what a game looks like quickly... 😔