IGNORED

Opinions Wanted: Namco Museum for the PS2

Unbeliever

I have a copy of this for my PS2 slim. I was wondering what other AA members thought of this arcade compilation. Do you think it's close to/spot on with the original arcade games? And what do you think of the more "modern" versions of some of them? Opinions wanted! :D

Oh, you're talking about the naff version of Namco Museum developed by Mass Media. Well, if you like compressed graphics and a plain interface, you're gonna love this. I'd say skip it and go for Namco Museum 50th Anniversary Edition. I'd highly recommend that one... there aren't a ton of bells and whistles, but there are plenty of games available (double what's in Namco Museum, I believe) and the 80s-riffic interface is a real thrill. You're in an arcade with each game set on a rotating turntable... press left and right on the joystick and the next game in the selection rotates into place, a rather nifty effect.

Well...I was just asking what everyone thought. I got this enclosed with the PS2 bundle my wife bought. I have so many copies of arcade hit son multi platforms (TV Land games, computer, PS2) that I was wondering what everyone thought. Thanks for your input thus far! :thumbsup:

I have this for Xbox, and I thought the Arrangement versions of the games were a nice twist. They're almost like sequels to the original games. Dig Dug has bosses now; it's wild.

He's right! The "arrangement" versions are really cool! They're on the PS2 version, as well. I think they're also on the PSP version.

I have the 50th Anniversary version too, and I can't remember much difference in the versions, although I think they're both pretty good. Jess Ragan (above) is most likely a more keen observer than I.

The one thing I really bought 50th Anniversary version for is that it has an unlockable "Galaga 88" which I don't think is available anywhere else.

Speaking of Namco Museums, the one with the WORST remakes is on the Wii. They had 2 versions on that console, in a short time. The first one is "Namco Museum Remix" and the second is "Namco Museum Megamix." The "updated" versions on the "Megamix" is like a really bad joke!

They've released so many versions of the Namco Museum that they should be ashamed. Regular, Anniversary, Remix, Megamix....across multiple consoles and handhelds It's dizzying. But the "Arrangement" versions on the original PS2 disc are fun!

Both compilations are good. They feature many of the same games, but also several different ones. The first compilation has the Arrangement versions. That is the reason to own it, in my opinion. Pac-Man Arrangement is especially good. The 50th Anniversary bundle has Dragon Spirit (as an unlockable?), and I think it even has Galaga '88 somewhere in there. It goes for more money though, and the XBOX versions are the ideal packages you would want to get, but the PS2 ones are solid as well.

and the XBOX versions are the ideal packages you would want to get, but the PS2 ones are solid as well.

I have the PS2 versions, because if you collect all the arcade compilations from the PS1 and PS2 libraries, you have a single machine (PS2) with a heck of a lot of arcade games. Except for bummer that this one......

arcade-party-pak-cover872042.jpg

.....won't work on PS2.

That was the only reason I collected for PS2. But the Xbox versions (of Namco Museum) are better? How so? Are there any other arcade compilations better on Xbox?

Edited by wood_jl

Actually, four of the Arcade Party Pack games will work on a PS2. Only Super Sprint and Toobin fail. I think all six of the games are on Midway Arcade Treasures 1 anyway... I don't know if the emulation quality is any different between the two compilations though.

Edited by boog

I never much play the original last generation Namco Museum on my GameCube, but the 50th Anniversary collection still gets regular play on my Xbox.

My only issue with it is that the virtual arcade interface takes too long to load up when you exit a game. I bet the wait is several seconds longer on the PS2 release if they're taking advantage of the Xbox's hard drive at all.

Are there any other arcade compilations better on Xbox?

The Xbox saw the best version of Midway Arcade Treasures 2. And other than routinely corrupting its own save (A problem shared with the PS2 version), the Xbox version of Midway Arcade Treasures 3 performed the best. Only the later GCN release had the save issue fixed, but sadly it performs only as well as the PS2 version (And worse in spots).

The Euro exclusive release of Taito Legends 2 was region free and had several exclusive games. And several games shared with the PS2 release seemed to perform a bit better than the Taito Memories derived emulation job on the PS2 collection that we did get. Both well worth getting.

Atari Anthology on the Xbox was able to run in HD. I think only the Xbox releases for Capcom Classics Collection could run in 480p. And Tecmo Classic Arcade was an Xbox exclusive (At least in North America, not sure if saw a PS2 release elsewhere).

Edited by Atariboy

But the Xbox versions (of Namco Museum) are better? How so? Are there any other arcade compilations better on Xbox?

I haven't played a PS2 version in a long time, but I remember the system's signature aliasing problems are apparent in some of the compilations I played. Not sure about the Namco ones, but I know it was definitely there in the Midway compilations as well as the Capcom ones. The XBOX versions all have that corrected so you have smoother visuals, plus it usually takes less time to load into and get out of the games you want to play. Also, you won't have frameskipping or slowdown issues that you might see in some PS2 compilations (I believe Mortal Kombat 2 on the PS2 Midway Arcade Treasures 2 had some issues like that).

The Euro exclusive release of Taito Legends 2 was region free and had several exclusive games. And several games shared with the PS2 release seemed to perform a bit better than the Taito Memories derived emulation job on the PS2 collection that we did get. Both well worth getting.

Yep, this is a great compilation on the XBOX. It's missing some excellent games that the PS2 version got, like RayStorm, but it has Rayforce (Galactic Attack/Layer Section that most are probably familiar with from the Saturn). Definitely worth importing! :)

Forgot another annoyance with the 50th Anniversary Collection. Supposedly, Galaga 88 has a continue feature in the arcade. But it seems to be disabled here. Don't think it's accessible in the 360 collection either.

I wouldn't take advantage of it much, but it would've been nice to be able to see what was up ahead that my ability (Or lack of it) will never let me get to see.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of compilations and accuracy (although not arcade game related) I haven't seen any of the old Sonic games emulated better than the original version of Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube. This even includes my experience with Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection which has weird audio glitches like occasionally forgetting to even play invincibility or stop the sped up power sneakers music after the effect wears off. Gamecube Sonic Mega Collection was almost spot-on except for some very minor differences in the sound (like when Robotnik gets hit).

Also, Namco Museum felt great on Nintendo 64. That was where I first experienced the series. It was convenient on Game Boy Advance but not as easy to play on the tiny screen.