IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

. It was such a minor machine in Europe that it took 73 issues before Retro Gamer magazine finally presented an article devoted to the ColecoVision. The Atari 2600 got covered multiple times in RG over the first 72 issues, while the CV was barely mentioned here and there!

RG is a UK Centric Magazine, it does not reflect "Europe" at all , even if they tries to make effort to enlarge their view recently.

Only a tiny fraction of Team Pixelboy's customers are located somewhere in Europe.

Until now you released only MSX et SG 1000 port.... that could explain that.

Since the CV homebrew customer base is mostly north-american,

Your vision.... Ok, i agree potentielly there is more homebrew customer base in north-america than in Europe, it is a fact. ... But i don't think european base is negligeable.

Take for instance for my Ghost'n Zombie, since it is sold out , i received a little more than 500 emails asking me for a cartridge. On that 500 emails , about 80 comes from France and about 100 others from elsewhere in europe . So potentially 180 homebrewer/collectors from europe. And you release your game between 70 and 100 copies. So the european potential customer are already more than your production. :)

Since the CV homebrew customer base is mostly north-american, that's who the CV homebrew developers/publishers cater to, for the most part. So if the upcoming SGM launch games are uninteresting to European retrogamers, well, I'm sorry, but that doesn't change much of anything in our small but dedicated CV homebrew community.

yes, it could make a difference if Eduardo does not reach the number of order he wish to launch the production. But fortunaly he is very close now. I really hope he can produce it and finally release donkey kong and other great dedicated games.

Edited by youki
  • Like 2

I think , you don't care too much about oversea "market". but here in europe when you read forums and various post about your SGM , People share same concern as me with your SGM.

The fact is , for instance we can easly buy a MSX computer + Knightmare for about 50 USD. ( and most of MSX game between 10 and 30 Usd) .

Your module is (including shipping) : 100 USD + i guess around 60USD for Knight mare... so we have to spend 160 USD to play the more or less exact same game than we can could play at 50 USD .

The only interrest for europeen in your game module would be your awesome Arcade Ports . And for now, there is not. Except donkey kong which announced and close to completion but not released when the module will be released.

so in a certain way, it stucks the order "oversea".

Ok, let me put this in perspective (in my best Reggie Fils-Aime impersonation). That isn't what I am reading from the orders. The numbers I am getting from overseas are in line with sales of, let's say, Pac-Man Collection in terms of distribution. I am getting the usual orders from France, Denmark, Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, even Japan. In fact I sell a lot of MSX ports to people in Netherlands (capital of MSX in Europe) that are primarily MSX fans, and most of them have just ordered a SGM.

Secondly, as you mentioned, I believe people are seeing the potential for things to come. Unfortunately it was impossible for me to have Donkey Kong Arcade finished in time for the SGM launch, and I wanted the SGM to come out this year because, you know, this is the 30th anniversary. But it is coming, and should be here first semester next year. Then we have all the other arcade ports that are coming, some of them, like Arkanoid, are far along in development. So I understand your frustration and apologize for the delay. And btw, I never asked $60 for any of my MSX ports. In fact you can buy any of my remaining MSX ports right now, complete with box and manual, for just $25.

Finally, I could go into the value of MSX goodies, but I will leave that for another day. I am just going to say that is probably cheaper to get something MSX related here in the US than in places like Europe and Japan.Try eBay for example to get an idea of prices...

Edited by opcode

Until now you released only MSX et SG 1000 port.... that could explain that.

Very possible, but that's my situation right now.

Your vision.... Ok, i agree potentielly there is more homebrew customer base in north-america than in Europe, it is a fact. ... But i don't think european base is negligeable.

Take for instance for my Ghost'n Zombie, since it is sold out , i received a little more than 500 emails asking me for a cartridge. On that 500 emails , about 80 comes from France and about 100 others from elsewhere in europe . So potentially 180 homebrewer/collectors from europe. And you release your game between 70 and 100 copies. So the european potential customer are already more than your production. :)

This makes me wonder how many UK and European CV owners are going to approach me about a copy of Quest for the Golden Chalice, which is a Team Pixelboy exclusive. Princess Quest is also a new game, which is technically an MSX port, but the CV version has some extras not found in the original MSX release. :)

yes, it could make a difference if Eduardo does not reach the number of order he wish to launch the production. But fortunaly he is very close now. I really hope he can produce it and finally release donkey kong and other great dedicated games.

So what you're really saying is that there's a good chance Eduardo will receive a lot of new orders for SGMs once Donkey Kong Arcade is released. Okay, I'll take that as good news. :)

Finally, I could go into the value of MSX goodies, but I will leave that for another day. I am just going to say that is probably cheaper to get something MSX related here in the US than in places like Europe and Japan.Try eBay for example to get an idea of prices...

I second that. Recently I've got three CIB MSX games from Europe that are hard to find (Gradius :), Gradius II :) and Vampire Killer :) ) and I had to pay 200 euros including shipping. eBay is driving prices very high :(.

I second that. Recently I've got three CIB MSX games from Europe that are hard to find (Gradius :), Gradius II :) and Vampire Killer :) ) and I had to pay 200 euros including shipping. eBay is driving prices very high :(.

Congrats on the purchases, really great games. However, those are some of the best selling MSX games, which means they are more on the common side of the spectrum. A complete Aleste or Aleste II alone can go for that much, and that is still in the uncommon side. Truly rare CIB stuff goes for $500 and up.

The reason is simple, MSX was mostly a Japanese computer that just became cult. Most common MSX games sold no more than 50,000 copies, which is nothing when you compare to more popular stuff from the 80s, like the Atari 2600 or Famicom.

Of course, Ebay is not the best place to search for MSX Games at affordable price... Price becomes really crazy... most of my aquisition have been done via various (french) forums or simply exchange with other members.

In addition if you are looking for boxed games , it is even more crazy. But if you are just interrested in the cartrige to play the game , it is more easy and less expensive to find them.

MSX in Europe can go for cheap, but this is truly not the case in America!

Last spring, I ordered a MSX2 from Las Vegas and had to pay around $275us for one (+1 game)..... Sure shipping always kill the deal

(I never got it BTW ,... But I've been refunded)

Anyway....

considering you have to buy a MSX system... You better buy all the CV conversions

We love the MSX games, but we don't really care about the system since we did not grow up with that system

In Europe, maybe people did not really care about all the MSX and SG-1000 conversions we had done, but here in America people do really enjoy them!

Sure! There is nothing like original creations or perfect arcade translation like PacMan Collection, Mario Bros etc..

But conversions of MSX and SG-1000 are great too!

I could even take some conversions of C64 on CV..... Would be awesome!

Can also do some Spectrum games .... I will take them!

Remake, Demake, translation, conversion .. .. I will buy them all because ColecoVision is in my soul

I'm also a huge NES collector and believe it or not, I'm the one who will die to play Legend of Zelda on Colecovision!

Why playing Zelda on CV for $50 when I can play it on my NES for free?

Anwser is simple..... I LOVE colecovison and anything that can fit in is fine to me as long as the game is great!

Just keep in mind that you cannot makes everyone happy :)

I choose to make an arcade conversion of HelliFire .... Who the hell will have choose this title except me!? :P :D

Cheers

Collecting an MSX in North America is not a wise proposition. Very difficult. Honestly if you only want to play these games, there are emulators for that. This is about supporting a community project, which is equal parts engineering experiment. Gamers love to ponder what-if, well in this case Eduardo has made it reality. "Expansion Module 3."

Edited by Greg2600

Collecting an MSX in North America is not a wise proposition. Very difficult. Honestly if you only want to play these games, there are emulators for that. This is about supporting a community project, which is equal parts engineering experiment. Gamers love to ponder what-if, well in this case Eduardo has made it reality. "Expansion Module 3."

I collect SG-1000 games instead of MSX games, which are very fun, but there aren't as much variety as MSX games. Several of the games have been converted to Coleco, so I might get Gulkave. It's actually not as rare as an MSX, and even the rarest games are under $100, unlike the MSX1 Golvellius (only copy, no MSX2 up) being $300 right now

Hi guys,

the topic is about the super game module not about GNZ :)

Anyway , i don't wish to release GNZ. But a GNZ 2 is planned that should be lot better than the first one.

Will it use the added capabilities that the SGM will provide? :evil:

I'm sorry Youki, I just couldn't resist.

Honestly, youki would be better off figuring out how to use a MegaCart instead of the SGM. Then he could make a bigger game than what the 32K of ROM allows. But I know he likes to work within the 32K limit, so it's a moot point. :)

guys is it me or i'm scared that the sgm will split the homebrew scene

the ones that have it and the ones that doesn't

so it's important that games that could be coded within the limits of normal coleco hardware continues to be coded

No worries... Really

I will make sure to continue to release "regular" 32K games ,

but I will also take the opportunity to use the SGM specs for more complex games

well i guess it would be possible to have better graphics with sgm enabled games (a la n64 expanstion pack...some games like top gear rally showed more graphicks when expansion pack was detected) and still besing able to be played non sgm enabled it really depend of the games like sgm detected run rom B if sgm detected =run rom A

well i guess it would be possible to have better graphics with sgm enabled games (a la n64 expanstion pack...some games like top gear rally showed more graphicks when expansion pack was detected) and still besing able to be played non sgm enabled it really depend of the games like sgm detected run rom B if sgm detected =run rom A

Except if i miss something ,the SGM does not enhance graphic capabilities of the colecovision.

Yes of course, my future games won't work if the module is detected! :D (i'm off course kidding)

No, i will simply prove that you can do "super" game without the need of modules or mega cart on Colecovision.

On the 4 project i started , 3 of them (GnZ 2, Outrun and a third one (not the one you know Luc)) will hopefully prove that. Now , i begin to master the console ;)

For now my only limitation, is the Free Time i have :( (and the fact i extremely bad at music...:()