IGNORED

Tengen/AtariGames on the 8-bit Atari?

Gunstar

I was playing 'Badlands' racing on my ST this evening (an AtariGames Corp. arcade game released by Tengen), same type of game as 'Super Off Road' and 'Super Sprint,' and I noticed in the beginning credits that it tells who did 68000, Z80 and 6502 version coding. I know that no Tengen games were released on the 8-bit Atari in the U.S, only Lynx and ST, but I wondered if any were released in England/Europe for the 8-bit Ataris? Or if the "6502 coding" was only for other machines like the C64...

As an Irish Atari user I'm going to speak without any authority but, as far as I remember, I'm almost certain that Tengen didn't release any Atari 8-bit games. A quick search on Google revealed that they did at least six games for the Commodore 64 - Badlands, Blasteroids, Hard Drivin', Skull and Crossbones, RBI Baseball and Toobin.

The 6502 coding most probably meant the Commodore 64.

The closest equivalent to Badlands would have been Codemaster's Grand Prix Simulator or Supersprint (this was released on the atari, wasn't it?). Hope that helps.

Avram

As an Irish Atari user I'm going to speak without any authority but, as far as I remember, I'm almost certain that Tengen didn't release any Atari 8-bit games. A quick search on Google revealed that they did at least six games for the Commodore 64 - Badlands, Blasteroids, Hard Drivin', Skull and Crossbones, RBI Baseball and Toobin.

The closest equivalent to Badlands would have been Codemaster's Grand Prix Simulator or Supersprint (this was released on the atari, wasn't it?). Hope that helps.

Avram

As an Irish Atari user I'm going to speak without any authority but, as far as I remember, I'm almost certain that Tengen didn't release any Atari 8-bit games.  A quick search on Google revealed that they did at least six games for the Commodore 64 - Badlands, Blasteroids, Hard Drivin', Skull and Crossbones, RBI Baseball and Toobin.

The closest equivalent to Badlands would have been Codemaster's Grand Prix Simulator or Supersprint (this was released on the atari, wasn't it?).  Hope that helps.

Avram

Thanks for the reply! SuperSprint was only released on the 2600 and the ST as far as I know, I know there is no 5200/7800 version and I've never seen an 8-bit version...I do have the Codemaster's Grand Prix, that's cool. I guess I settle for it and the BMX simulator which is also a similiar type game... :)

Oh, buy the way Avram, sorry about not including Irland or even Scotland (for you Scotts out there) when I mentioned England/Europe...I guess I should at LEAST refer to it all as the United Kingdom/Europe... ;)

Gunstar,

No worries about not including Ireland in your original post. I'm quite used to Americans not knowing where Belfast is - I was once asked by a cop in Florida where I was from and when I told him Belfast he replied, "Belfast eh? I have some friends from Germany" (now I add Belfast, Northern Ireland whenever asked where I'm from).

Oh, and please don't think I'm trashing on Americans - I'm dating a Texan girl so wouldn't dare.

Avram

No worries Avram, I'm not offended. The fact is that there are a LOT of ignorant Americans that couldn't even say where anything in the U.S. is! Too much TV and no willingness to open their minds and read&learn...i know where Belfast is though, actually, I'm quite learned in geography and have a $300 globe with lighting, it's pretty sweet. There are still a few Americans who take pride in self-improvement and aren't so ignorant as your Policeman.

By the way, if you can, check out Gamestar's On Track Racing (don't know if it was released outside the US), it's like Grand Prix Simulator, only full screen and the cars look like cars and not blocks with a dot. Much better game with good tracks and options. Although it's only 2 cars racing instead of 3.

• 3 weeks later...