IGNORED

Season 6 Round 4 - Tarzan

Tarzan

post-5757-0-92020000-1349709145_thumb.png

Pits, snakes, gorillas, crocodiles, and Beast Men are just some of the adversaries who try to keep Tarzan from freeing his ape friends from their captors! Tarzan never dies, but he can be slowed!

Game Information

Game Name: Tarzan

Released by: Coleco, 1984

Original arcade game by: NA

CV HSC High Score: NA

TwinGalaxies High Score: Not Available (website down)

Settings: Skill 2

This game was suggested by: jblenkle

Contest Ends

Saturday, 20 October at 1:00AM EST

Contest Rules

The HSC rules can be found here

Final High Scores

1. jblenkle 366,000 [+100]

2. WispFollower 108,750 [+30]

3. ed1475 52,250 [+14]

4. Ikrananka 50,500 [+14]

5. roadrunner 40,000 [+11]

6. Liduario 14,500 [+4]

Leaderboard

1. NE146 [200] (2) 2

2. skosh [190] (3)

3. patbb [141] (3) 1

4. ed1475 [121] (3) 1

5. Liduario [119] (3)

6. craigm71 [97] (3)

7. Ikrananka [96] (3)

8. jblenkle [94] (3)

9. roadrunner [87] (3)

10. atariaddict82 [85] (3)

11. JEFF31 [74] (3)

12. sean49938 [74] (2)

13. Darrin9999 [70] (3)

14. mc#4 [65] (3)

15. atariron82 [25] (1)

16. ChuckH [24] (1)

17. kelman66 [17] (1)

18. sega_SHARK [15] (1)

[ ] = Points

( ) = Rounds Played

BLUE = Rounds Won

GOLD = Seasons Won

Anyone know why this game tries to use Joystick #2 on Virtual ADAM/ADAMem? I had my joystick enabled, but it wouldn't work so I had to use the keyboard -- which did work even though I had the joystick checked on Virtual ADAM.

Then I thought to enable Joystick #2 as well as #1 and now my PC joystick works fine.

Guess I'll just go back to playing on real hardware. The control seems a lot better.

Edited by jblenkle

post-27097-0-54445500-1350067713_thumb.jpg

Maybe I'm now a dog in the manger. But Tarzan is also an inappropriate game for the HSC.

You can wait in the middle of the screen for the gorilla and punch him down over and over again.

So I think it's also possible to score endless points. I don't have the time (and the desire) to show this. You have to pay a little bit more attention than in Up 'n Down, but it must be easily to do.

I show a picture of the 3rd screen in skill 2, so that you know what I mean.

I also discovered that...you can do the same thing with the hunter too, although you don't get as many points. I limit myself to two punches per screen...usually the initial one, and one more when the gorilla starts running after me again (hey, stay down...I'll hafta come back and punch you again)....the bulk of my points come at the temple because you have to keep punching the Beastmen to get them out of the way and try to climb to the top. I have a real tough time getting to the top for some reason and usually get knocked down to the bottom multiple times, having to punch my way back to the top again.

My 171,750 score is still behind the score I did on this game back in the 80s.

So are we going to throw this one out too?

Maybe I'm now a dog in the manger. But Tarzan is also an inappropriate game for the HSC.

You can wait in the middle of the screen for the gorilla and punch him down over and over again.

So I think it's also possible to score endless points. I don't have the time (and the desire) to show this. You have to pay a little bit more attention than in Up 'n Down, but it must be easily to do.

Edited by jblenkle

Aggghhh - what a mess. However, the rules of the HSC do state that people should not cheat and I include unreasonable point pressing within this rule. Tarzan is a fun game when played through and so I do not want to cancel this round. What I do ask is that everyone honour the rules and not point press. I would say that the approach taken by jblenke is very reasonable, i.e. limit of two punches per screen (unless you get stuck and really have to punch more to get to the next screen).

Please do not hang around on any screen intentionally to point press - always keep trying to move to the next screen and to save the gorillas as is the intent of the game.

I discovered this after only playing the game a couple of times. I debated whether to say anything, but seeing that Up 'N Down had just been canceled for virtually the same thing, I opted not to say anything. I decided two punches per gorilla screen was reasonable since usually if you punch him once and keep running, he'll start running after you again before you can get off that screen so go back and punch him again.

The only other exceptions I allow myself are for places you can get stuck with the gorilla...like on strips of land between the water when you can't safely proceed because the crocodile is in the way...or in a tree trying to free the apes. You may have to punch Beastmen several times to knock them from the cage.

And, of course, at the temple, because if you don't keep punching the Beastmen there you aren't going to last very long.

Aggghhh - what a mess. However, the rules of the HSC do state that people should not cheat and I include unreasonable point pressing within this rule. Tarzan is a fun game when played through and so I do not want to cancel this round. What I do ask is that everyone honour the rules and not point press. I would say that the approach taken by jblenke is very reasonable, i.e. two punches per screen (unless you get stuck and have to punch more to get to the next screen).

Please do not hang around on any screen intentionally to point press - always keep trying to move to the next screen and to save the gorillas as is the intent of the game.

They should have designed this game so the gorilla disappears after you punch him...or have some other limiting factor so you can't stick around on one screen for too long. Perhaps the gorilla should become enraged after you punch him once so subsequent punches have no effect, but if he hits you it drains your life faster.

I just played again following "my rules" very strictly and made it to the temple twice with a score of 115,000+ before the Beastmen beat me to a pulp...

Please toss out my 68k score. I did some point pressing in that one.

The last time this game was played someone went into detail about point pressing and it was ok, the score was counted.

But punching the ape does increase your health if it's low.

http://www.atariage....ame-12a-tarzan/

• Like 1

They should have designed this game so the gorilla disappears after you punch him...or have some other limiting factor so you can't stick around on one screen for too long. Perhaps the gorilla should become enraged after you punch him once so subsequent punches have no effect, but if he hits you it drains your life faster.

I just played again following "my rules" very strictly and made it to the temple twice with a score of 115,000+ before the Beastmen beat me to a pulp...

I had a gorilla fall inside a pit before. That seems to be the only way to get rid of him.

Wondered if this would come up... back in 09 my post to Mister VCS was...

Posted Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:44 PM

OK hmmm got to be honest here...

Screen 1: punch 'Bolangi the gorilla' a bunch of times, get 20K points or so. get bored and the gorilla punches me runs around and fall into a pit.

Screen 2 & 3 water and snakes bypass these screens

Screen 4: Bolangi again! punch him every 4.5 - 5 seconds for what seems like hours... another 50K or so in points - now at 70+ K. slip up on a punch and the gorilla hits me again and goes running around and falls into a pit...

Screen 5: water again darn go to next screen

Screen 6: Hunter screen! yea! Punch hunter for 30 minutes (yes every 5 seconds or so...) get score to 300K+

Finally decide to go to the 'idol' screen and finally die there.

Score: 345750 (hard to see but can just make it out)

Now all that being said was that cheating or using a bug in the game?

Part of me says yes, part no - I'll let MR VCS decide.

He allowed it but it didn't feel right...

Oh and BTW in an earlier post in that round I said how wonderful this game isn't ;-)

Still trying to get myself to play it again....

My last score, by the way, of 188,750 was done by only one-punching the gorilla instead of two-punching it like I had been. The hardest part is still at the temple and you basically gotta keep punching there just to stay alive. You also get a lot of points if you jump on the crocodile. So I made a point of doing that every time I could.

Tarzan - 343,000

post-9212-0-33002000-1350367109_thumb.png

I think I've been playing this game too much...

A snake-crocodile double-team finally got me. I tried to go up the tree on the left to escape the crocodile after trying to get by it in the water four or five times...but then the snake knocked me out of the tree into the water. I managed to jump back up on the land, but then the frickin' snake climbed down the tree and onto the grass and killed me...never seen it do that before...of course I usually avoid it completely!!!

I think I went through the temple five times...maybe six...

Only double punched gorillas twice (when they came back after me while I was waiting to jump on the croc)

After awhile I didn't even bother with the gorillas unless they were directly in my way

EDIT: Oh, also...game took me 55 minutes...started right after Dancing with the Stars and got bit by the snake at 10:55.

Edited by jblenkle

Tarzan - 366,000

post-9212-0-89583600-1350513359_thumb.png

Yes, 366,000 (Skill 2)

Made it through the temple 5 times:

1. 69,250

2. 120,000

3. 202,250

4. 267,750

5. 342,750

Got tag-teamed by a snake and gorilla in a tree shortly after that and died...

Never punched a gorilla or hunter more than once...

This was my last play...I think...I'm Tarzaned out....

Edited by jblenkle
  • Like 1

Tarzan - 366,000

post-9212-0-89583600-1350513359_thumb.png

Yes, 366,000 (Skill 2)

Made it through the temple 5 times:

1. 69,250

2. 120,000

3. 202,250

4. 267,750

5. 342,750

Got tag-teamed by a snake and gorilla in a tree shortly after that and died...

Never punched a gorilla or hunter more than once...

This was my last play...I think...I'm Tarzaned out....

Congratulations!

Now I must to improve my score a huge amount...

Good luck to you!!! I don't know why, but this game is just one that suddenly clicked into place for me. It seems to get really hard after the 5th time through the temple...then the beast-men, gorillas, snakes and crocodiles seem to become really aggressive...

Congratulations!

Now I must to improve my score a huge amount...