IGNORED

Light sixer with effed video, Heavy sixer with effed audio...help!

marillion

Okay, I have a light sixer that will only play certain games, and that's after jiggling the power switch off/on for a few tries. The sound is perfect on the carts that work.

I have a heavy sixer where the picture is perfect and all carts work just fine, but the "static" noise before the power is turned on never goes away even though each game comes up fine.

I don't have a solder gun, nor do I know anything about the guts of the 2600. I did open them both up and swap out the connector cable, which doesn't improve either problem.

Is there an easy solution for a tech noob like myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peace,

Chip

Sound problems are usually those 2 silvery polystyrene caps near the center chip. I would suspect the RIOT chip for the game loading issues. That's the one closest to the cart slot. Voltage regulator is another possibility.

post-25215-0-83998300-1350795922_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Sound problems are usually those 2 silvery polystyrene caps near the center chip. I would suspect the RIOT chip for the game loading issues. That's the one closest to the cart slot. Voltage regulator is another possibility.

I've come across a Heavy 6 with the same audio trouble. Constant static on the audio, but perfect video. I've fooled around with the inductor coils on both the RF and the PCB, but I can't get any audio at all. Presumably, the polystyrene capacitors are going to have to be replaced? That 820pF rating isn't available in the Mouser or Digikey archive, the closest value is .001uF, but I'd actually require a .00082uF. Would it be out of tolerance to order the .001uF, or should I bite the bullet and come up with >$25 worth of parts to order from Best Electronics? It seems a shame, since these things are only pennies. Do you have any on hand Zylon? I would need 4, would like to keep a pair in the parts bin.

I've come across a Heavy 6 with the same audio trouble. Constant static on the audio, but perfect video. I've fooled around with the inductor coils on both the RF and the PCB, but I can't get any audio at all. Presumably, the polystyrene capacitors are going to have to be replaced? That 820pF rating isn't available in the Mouser or Digikey archive, the closest value is .001uF, but I'd actually require a .00082uF. Would it be out of tolerance to order the .001uF, or should I bite the bullet and come up with >$25 worth of parts to order from Best Electronics? It seems a shame, since these things are only pennies. Do you have any on hand Zylon? I would need 4, would like to keep a pair in the parts bin.

I do, but they are 850 miles away from where I am working. I'd say look on ebay or piggyback them with some joystick kits from Best. I have tried the ceramic ones and they suck.

• Like 1