IGNORED

Strange curiosity found with Gauntlet (regarding 4-Players)

So, was playing Gauntlet in Steam Engine and was selecting which character to go for (Wizard, as he's been my staple since the NES days). I noticed something interesting when pressing left/right on the keyboard: options for "MIDI JOY0" and "MIDI JOY1" were given to somehow allow four players. Was there a special adapter for the MIDI ports mentioned in the manual? If so, this would mean it was the first four-player home version before "Gauntlet IV" came out on the Genesis.

Yes, hence the "MIDI" reference.

However, has *anyone* seen or used one with the original Gauntlet? Does anyone remember it

being advertised as a 4 player game? I don't have the greatest memory in the world, but I don't.

Anyone got any old ads about the original game from back then? Be interesting to see those...

Love to see some pictures and specs...

One programmer over at AtariAge (Klaz) who is doing updates on older games so that they run on

newer/faster Atari's, run from hard disk, and in many instances add a trainer/score screen, has stated

that he can't find any 4 player code in the original Gauntlet.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22190

Also, I remember someone else trying the Gauntlet 2 adaptor with Gauntlet 1, and it didn't work (not that

surprising, as you mentioned, it is for the parallel port).

Sure wish it would have. :)

• 3 weeks later...