IGNORED

The secret of Men-A-Vision revealed!

Thomas Jentzsch

The biggest unanswered question to me is, how the hell did someone get T-handle molds made and only 25 or so are found? Were these guys nuts, or did something go down that I am totally missing?

It would cost me many thousands of dollars to get a mold made for these, I imagine it was way more expensive in the 80's.

I see you have been a member since Nov 2013. Did someone contact you or did you stumble upon this thread? Not that it matters, I am just curious. It seems a.bit nuts that your family was responsible for one of the "holy grails" of Atari and you guys never knew.

Basically guys, I have not been contacted by anyone in regards to this blog. Back in November 2013 I had registered with AtariAge just because I'm into the gaming industry and I miss all the retro fun games back in the days and wanted to see what's been spoken of. Men-A-Vision has been mentioned only a few times through my lifetime and since my parents and I have left LA over 20 years ago, I think it was spoken of only a couple of times since. Like I said before, I thought it didn't exist and that it was just rumors because Mena was our last name. Today, out of curiosity, I decided again to go over your blogs and when I saw something being said about Sunset Blvd and the Jewelry and Toy Store, it blew my mind and kind of creep me out, because my grandfather ran that store and my father and uncle ran the toy store. So now I'm a believer. I had to talk to my cousin a little while ago about it, and he admitted there was a game created by a friend of his dad's back in those days about a shooting game (alien-ship and the 2D city of Manhattan landscape, etc..) As my cousin would tell me earlier (It's basically pong with buildings and falling alien ships...had to shoot then down as they appeared...it was awesome!). I was only 5 years old when this was going on. The game was actually played in the Toy Store office when we were kids. I can't remember playing it, but my cousin does. I can only do so much, because I live across country and I have no access to anything over in LA. All I can do, which I did, is mention it to my cousin and maybe my uncle will be notified of this. As I told someone earlier, my dad thinks there might be a copy of one somewhere just to have it as a trophy case. But that's just hear say from him. The rest of the family that is in LA, will have to get back to me and let me know if there are any left. But I unfortunately can't push them either, and my cousin said if they did have one, they most likely wouldn't sell it because its one of a kind. There was a person named Tony that my father told me who was Asian that helped contribute towards the invention of the game. I think I've said a lot, but it might take a while to even know what's true if we still have a copy of it or not. I've gotten plenty of messages and appreciate wanting to get information, but I don't have it right now. If my cousin or uncle decides that it's OK you email them, I'll let you know too.

• Like 2

The biggest unanswered question to me is, how the hell did someone get T-handle molds made and only 25 or so are found? Were these guys nuts, or did something go down that I am totally missing?

It would cost me many thousands of dollars to get a mold made for these, I imagine it was way more expensive in the 80's.

The molds were going to be used for future Men-A-Vision games. They molded 25 copies of the game in blue plastic that was left over from a batch of baby product. These were meant to be production samples. Vendors who ordered more game carts would recieve future shipments in most likely black ABS plastic. Nobody ordered any so none were produced aside from the original batch of 25 commercial samples. Men-A-Vision went bankrupt and folded.

I'm only regurgitating what I have heard from other forum members so the above should be taken with a grain of salt.

@jmenajr23: We don't want your game, just any facts and info about this mysterious company, for the sake of historical documentation. Yes, the game is worth big bucks, and there are people here who would be willing to shell out cash for one, but I understand completely that it is a family heirloom. I think I'm speaking for everyone here, that we totally respect any decision to not sell it.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 4

Production sample = prototype.

Is it really? A production sample would be made with the intended production design. A prototype is more like a test part the way we talk about them here. It can be cobbled together with whatever is available to test the design concept. It wouldn't need to look like the production part if it's intent was to say test the s/w.

In the industry I work in:

prototype = built with production intent design to verify functional requirements are met. It's not required to use production material sources, process or tooling. It can even deviate from the production design if necessary and we determine it won't affect outcome of test.

production sample = built with production material sources, process and tooling. It's intended to validate the production process prior to full scale production.

• Like 1

The molds were going to be used for future Men-A-Vision games. They molded 25 copies of the game in blue plastic that was left over from a batch of baby product. These were meant to be production samples. Vendors who ordered more game carts would recieve future shipments in most likely black ABS plastic. Nobody ordered any so none were produced aside from the original batch of 25 commercial samples. Men-A-Vision went bankrupt and folded.

Do you live in Colorado? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Someone really needs to canvass the publicly available sources (e.g. city directories, corporate registration records, etc.), but this type of research cannot be done online -- it requires an actual physical presence in Los Angeles to visit libraries and similar institutions. There is very much publicly available information that has not been (and probably never will be) digitized and made available online.

It is unfortunate that no AA member in the area is interested in pursuing this.

Updates? ...anyone?

Times One Hundred Billion [!!!]

Someone really needs to canvass the publicly available sources (e.g. city directories, corporate registration records, etc.), but this type of research cannot be done online -- it requires an actual physical presence in Los Angeles to visit libraries and similar institutions. There is very much publicly available information that has not been (and probably never will be) digitized and made available online.

It is unfortunate that no AA member in the area is interested in pursuing this.

What of the OP who started this thread and promised updates??? Did he hit a dead end? It would have been nice to keep us informed regardless... :???:

It is unfortunate this thread didn't turn out the way landfill adventures did. For those not informed, someone started a thread about digging up ET carts in the desert and some years later it actually happened.

• 2 weeks later...