IGNORED

Ultimate 1mb / Side 2

lotharek

• Will these Ultimate1MBs have the resistor fix done?

yes, they have this fix done, so no more cuts or modding the cable, or using adapters is required

• What is the difference between SIDE and SIDE2?

original SIDE has some problems related to power handling that shows with some of CF cards, plus some instability issues (that were fixed with last JED released, but i have no clue on what zaxon used while shiping them out)

SIDE2 has improoved layout and care was taken so the signal slopes wouldn't have any ringing that caused a problem on the original layout, also it is able to detect if card was inserted/removed, so hotplugging is now possible and should be handled properly by PBI/SDX driver

also - which might sound not important, as i've did some work arounds inside BIOS code of U1MB, SDX base register was moved, so it wouldn't collide with U1MB one - this was annoyance rather than issue, and only to those who wanted to write some code to utilise these devices, but nevertheless it's now resolved

• Like 5

I noticed that you've switched to using little satellite boards with IDC connectors instead of the crimped socket ribbon connectors that previous versions had. Will the socket ribbon connectors still work if I can source them locally? I really don't want to de-socket anything on my 130XE, that PCB delaminates traces if you so much as look at it funny.

of course ULIMATES were posted to supplied adresses.

Anyone has questions, please contact to lotharek@lotharek.pl

ps. from http://lotharek.pl/regulations.php

4.When will my order be sent?

Orders are dispatched twice a week ( when I am overloaded with work - ONCE) - usually Tuesadys/Fridays approx. 6 pm. Orders received after this time will be sent the next postage day. I do not ship orders at weekends or on bank holidays. I AM NOT responsible for delays in delivery. Orders are always posted to confirmed PAYPAL address or mentioned in PAYPAL TAB. Because of PAYPAL safety policy, there is no other option - there must be confirmed postage address at payment receipt. Also, check FAQ point 10.

10. I have paid 5 days ago and didn`t get information - so, where is my item ?

All postages are confirmed with mail sent from Lotharek - lotharek@lotharek.pl to PAYPAL ADDRESS or if choose bank money transfer to registered mail:

Dear Customer,

Thank You for Your order and prompt payment, I`d like to inform You, your order has been already processed and will be sent / datum of postage / to address supplied along with order or PAYAPAL payment - down below

Ps. PLEASE, confirm You have got this mail ! not responding to this mail means for me it finished in SPAM

I noticed that you've switched to using little satellite boards with IDC connectors instead of the crimped socket ribbon connectors that previous versions had. Will the socket ribbon connectors still work if I can source them locally? I really don't want to de-socket anything on my 130XE, that PCB delaminates traces if you so much as look at it funny.

That should be no problem since the fix is on the U1mb.do you know the partnumber of that item.I want to know if i can find it locally.

Surely the IDC adapter boards just plug into sockets on the motherboard. And surely part of the reason for switching to IDC adapter boards is that the MMU resistors are incorporated into the adapter? Looked that way from the photos, at least.

I hope you will find out soon! ;)

• Like 1

No, the resitors are on the U1mb.

the pcb is different from Candle's.

Next to the idc connector the resistors can be seen.

Sorry - my mistake. I've only seen the underside of the new U1MB board in sufficient detail, and I didn't see any differences there. I still like the original MMU and OS connectors best, but I've found them hard to obtain.

board diffrences:

- resistors already on place, so no cuts on the motherboards nessesary

- A13 signal taken from MMU rather than OS ribbon - this improoved compatibility with XEGS and 1200XL (you don't need jumper wires anymore)

rest is unchanged - these are just the quirks i've found annoying during making installations in various machines, and i must agree with FJC here - i prefer original ribbon cables too - Lotharek's ones are one size fits them all - well.. simplier this way i guess

also - i don't recommend screwing the board to the plastic case - makes a mess, and makes repair of such system road though hell

i just love when i can remove whole motherboard - whatever was attached to it as a whole, not worrying about cables, switches, and most certainly some loose modules that might be screwed or glued to the plastic casing

• Like 1

• Will these Ultimate1MBs have the resistor fix done?

yes, they have this fix done, so no more cuts or modding the cable, or using adapters is required

• What is the difference between SIDE and SIDE2?

original SIDE has some problems related to power handling that shows with some of CF cards, plus some instability issues (that were fixed with last JED released, but i have no clue on what zaxon used while shiping them out)

SIDE2 has improoved layout and care was taken so the signal slopes wouldn't have any ringing that caused a problem on the original layout, also it is able to detect if card was inserted/removed, so hotplugging is now possible and should be handled properly by PBI/SDX driver

also - which might sound not important, as i've did some work arounds inside BIOS code of U1MB, SDX base register was moved, so it wouldn't collide with U1MB one - this was annoyance rather than issue, and only to those who wanted to write some code to utilise these devices, but nevertheless it's now resolved

board diffrences:

- resistors already on place, so no cuts on the motherboards nessesary

- A13 signal taken from MMU rather than OS ribbon - this improoved compatibility with XEGS and 1200XL (you don't need jumper wires anymore)

rest is unchanged - these are just the quirks i've found annoying during making installations in various machines, and i must agree with FJC here - i prefer original ribbon cables too - Lotharek's ones are one size fits them all - well.. simplier this way i guess

also - i don't recommend screwing the board to the plastic case - makes a mess, and makes repair of such system road though hell

i just love when i can remove whole motherboard - whatever was attached to it as a whole, not worrying about cables, switches, and most certainly some loose modules that might be screwed or glued to the plastic casing

Thank you for this updated info. and fixes. I like the ribbon cables I got with the original version too. Will there possibly be a supplier of the Ultimate 1mb & Side 2 in the USA?

I have prepare the 800 XL a friend of mine, for the Ultimate1Mb Lotharek edition. Now I am asked if with this new adapter board with ribbon connectors, the case of Atari will be close.

I mean with the adapter boards placed in dil sockets. :? Ok It remains to discover when it arrive here.

Also I, prefer the original IDC connectors of Sebastian.

Edited by santosp

Nope, the candle version was very complete. Unfortunately Lotharek's version doesn't include.all the accessory's.

About that IDC cable issue.

I'm willing to buy them and even assemble them for everyone to buy.

But I'm afraid it.will be too expensive.

If the website from my.link really has them in stock.