IGNORED

XTREME BEAM VECTOR ARCADE

70sgamefan

Star-Cannon-Flyer-Front.jpg

Star-Cannon-Flyer-Back.jpg

XTREME BEAM VECTOR ARCADE, featuring STAR CANNON, is now available for download on the App Store for iPad and iPad Mini.

Star Cannon, is of course, the first game to appear in the app. I am sure everyone here on this forum will recognize what classic vector game inspired Star Cannon.. You could say that Star Castle has been my muse for a long time..

The plan is for the app to eventually contain multiple vector games, including games with more original concepts. Care was taken to create an app that draws vector lines on the screen in a very similar manner to vintage vector arcade hardware.

The app replicates a black and white, bi-level, vector monitor with color overlays. Choose the CLASSIC COLOR overlay for the vintage look or DYNALAY for a dynamic color changing overlay, something that was not possible back in the day.. Or just play in black and white for that bare, white line vector monitor look.

Screenshots don't really do the app justice.. You need to see it running on an iPad to fully appreciate it! Set the iPad brightness control to manual and turn the brightness on your iPad screen up to about 75% to 80% intensity for the best simulated vector monitor experience.

Link to the App’s webpage:

http://www.celtronic...XtremeBeam.html

Link to the App’s Twitter page which contains some larger screen shots:

http://www.twitter.com/XtremeBeam

• 2 weeks later...

Video Trailer for XTREME BEAM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KkwoiJUq-Z0

Note that the app looks better on an actual iPad device than it does in the iPhone video in the above trailer. The crappy iPhone camera added a moiree pattern to the video as a mandatory special visual effect.. But at least, as you can see in the video, Star Cannon plays very close to the real thing.

In regards to questions about iCade support, no, the app does not support iCade at this time.. Not owning an iCade unit to test on is the primary reason (and it is not a matter of me being cheap, believe me). It definitely could support iCade in the future. Especially if more people would download the app and show an interest in it.

It does support the Joypad app, so you can use the Joypad app (which is free to download) on an iPhone or iPod touch as an external controller.

Xtreme Beam was a free download for a couple weeks, but not nearly enough people were making a purchase within the app to finance things like iCade support and developing more games for it. So I had to change it to a paid download. Like I state within the app itself, if you want to see more features and games added to it, rate and review the app on the app store at least.. So far, I know one person in Belgium and one person in Italy actually like it. It has apparently made two people happy in the world.. That is a start. And thus far, no one has said they disliked it.. If they have, they are keeping quiet about it lol.

The app was updated this past week to make the game play easier on the first 3 waves. Too many low scores on the Game Center leaderboard, and by my friends, showed that it was too hard even in the early stages for the average player who is not a Star Castle veteran.

Unlike another recent vector game app (apparently developed by an entire team of people with access to the latest devices), Xtreme Beam does NOT crash, and will run on ALL iPads, including the 1st Generation iPad.. On an iPad2 (a friend's iPad2 that is) it runs flawlessly at a constant 60fps with both DYNALAY and the backdrop art enabled together. On iPad1, it is best to disable the backdrop art, when using the color overlays. The iPad1 does struggle a bit to maintain 60fps if the overlay and backdrop art are enabled together. The backdrop was turned off in the video trailer, because the app was running on an iPad 1 while shooting the game footage.

• 8 months later...

NEW UPDATE AVAILABLE FOR XTREME BEAM VECTOR ARCADE!

NATIVE RETINA SUPPORT FOR THE VECTOR GRAPHICS!

--------------------------------------

XTREME BEAM - General Updates

--------------------------------------

- Native Retina Support for the vector graphics! Vector lines are now sharper and better defined on the Retina displays. On Retina displays, the vector graphics look even more authentic than they did before!

- New Color Overlay option called, Hide Overlay! This new option gives the appearance of a color vector monitor, by making the overlay invisible, though it still tints the vectors and backdrop art with color.

- The Start button, on the control panel, now serves double duty as a pause/resume button. Making it possible to pause and resume the game during play.

- Joypad integration has been improved by using the latest Joypad SDK. The erratic, unwanted, pop-up alert during game play, from within the Joypad app, has been eliminated.

- Minor Bug fixes.

----------------------------------------

STAR CANNON - Specific Updates

- Homing mine AI improvements. Mines are smarter now when pursuing the player's ship. Mine ring riding duration has been slightly reduced. As Mine speed increases, the duration of time for which they can pass through ring segments, without colliding and attaching to them, is reduced.

- At the start of a game, the number of player ships has been increased from 3 to 6. This will help beginners to progress more easily and allow higher scoring potential for all players.

• 5 months later...

NEW UPDATE AVAILABLE FOR XTREME BEAM VECTOR ARCADE!

100% NATIVE RETINA SUPPORT FOR ALL BITMAP AND VECTOR GRAPHICS!

UPDATED FOR THE NEW iPAD AIR and RETINA iPAD MINI!

iCADE SUPPORT ADDED!

XTREME BEAM - General Updates

- ALL BITMAP and VECTOR GRAPHICS are now RETINA RESOLUTION! The App graphics and colors are now updated specifically for the Retina Display of the new iPad Air! This is the best the App has ever looked on the Retina iPad and Retina iPad Mini!

- iCADE ARCADE CABINET support added! You can now control the game with the most popular arcade cabinet controls.

- Minor Bug fixes.

STAR CANNON - Specific Updates

- NEW CONTROL PANEL ART and ARCADE BUTTONS!

- NEW MONITOR BEZEL ART now surrounds the Virtual Vector Monitor!

- DYNALAY now color cycles the Control Panel, Bezel and Arcade Button colors, in addition to the Overlay colors!

- Player Bullet Lifespan is now distance based, instead of timer based.