IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5 Game Suggestions

Deteacher

Starting January 6th, 2013, the new season of the Arcade/MAME High Score Club will commence. In an effort to keep things as consistent as possible, I will keep the rules the same as they've been in the past. I won't change anything, unless the masses say they would like to see a change.

Please reply to this post with any/all game suggestions you have. Also, let me know if you would like me to randomly pick a game, or would you rather have me put up 4 or 5 choices each week and put it to a vote.

I welcome any and all suggestions you may have. Looking forward to moderating this HSC again. :)

• Like 2

Welcome back as the MAME HSC mod 'Teach! :thumbsup:

I know it's alot of work but the electronic scoreboard hasn't been updated since jan 30th 2012

It might be easier just to list the top score for each game.

Thanks RR! I hope the interest in this HSC will return. :)

As for the electronic scoreboard, I'll have to look at that over the coming weeks and see what that's about. I'll see what I can do about maintaining that.

• Like 1

My game suggestions

The Three Stooges In Brides Is Brides

Robotron

Bagman

Gunbird 2

Jr Pac Man

Saint Dragon

Stargate

Maybe do away with the tournaments....it takes up alot of time.

Quite a few games i would just play once or twice and move on to the next game.

The occasional double header round is ok.

Here's my initial suggestions/requests:

Ms. Pac-man

Mr. Do

Carnival

Wizard of Wor

Satan's Hollow

Tutankham

Asteroids Deluxe

Space Invaders

Kangaroo

Choplifter

Xevious

Circus Charlie

Sea Wolf

Qix

Vs. Excite Bike

Mousetrap

Congo Bongo

Thanks for putting this together Deteacher!

Edited by Fallout_002

Wow, thanks for stepping up Deteacher.

As for games, I’m usually one to avoid suggesting the Galagas and Ms. Pac-Mans of the world, in hopes of finding titles that are more or less new to everybody playing. Feast your eyes on this list of deep cuts:

Anteater

Eggs

Kram

Juno First

Mr. TNT

Pandora’s Palace

Marvin’s Maze

Baluba-Louk No Densetsu (awesome Japanese platformer)

I’m Sorry!

Armored Car

The Glob

Bomb Jack

Libble Rabble

Fast Lane (kind of like an updated Dodge ‘Em—very cool)

Rescue

Magical Drop

Jungler

How does everyone feel about how games should be picked? Random draw or throw 4-5 games out there to a vote? Lots of good game choices. Keep 'em coming! :)

I plan on running 1-week competitions, starting on Sunday and running until midnight the following Sunday. Will probably keep bonus points down to a minimum...at least in the beginning, until I get back into the swing of things. It's been awhile since I did this (besides a cameo mod appearance in the VCS HSC a couple weeks ago. :)

I'm getting my MAME Hyperspin cab delivered in less than two weeks, so I'll definitely be competing right along with you all. Watch out! :)

It's been awhile since I did this (besides a cameo mod appearance in the VCS HSC a couple weeks ago. :)

I love comebacks!

Moderating one (or more) HSC(s) is very time-consuming...

I know this as the former Colecovision and Intellivision HSC mod!

My wish-list:

Pac-Man

Pole Position

Galaxian

Moon Patrol

Dig Dug

Spy Hunter

Crystal Castles

Missile Command

Blaster

• Like 1

How does everyone feel about how games should be picked? Random draw or throw 4-5 games out there to a vote? Lots of good game choices. Keep 'em coming! :)

The weekly poll sounds good in principle because it gives everybody some ongoing ability to influence the picks, but personally I think that might be a little more trouble than it would be worth to manage every single week. I remember last season, the voters weren't exactly coming out in droves to cast their ballots in the tournament polls. Personally, my preference would be for everybody's picks to get entered into a pool, then the moderator devises some fair way to choose the titles (rolling dice, spinning a wheel, whatever). Easy for the moderator, fair for the masses. Plus, it encourages (forces? :D) people to play games outside of their comfort zone. If every week went to a vote, I have a feeling the schedule would read like the MAME equivalent of top-40 radio: Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Galaga, Q*Bert, Donkey Kong Jr., Pole Position, Dig Dug.... you get the idea.

I plan on running 1-week competitions, starting on Sunday and running until midnight the following Sunday. Will probably keep bonus points down to a minimum...at least in the beginning, until I get back into the swing of things.

How long will the season run? I could take or leave the tournaments--they're great fun, but as somebody said, very time consuming if you want to put in a good effort.

I'm getting my MAME Hyperspin cab delivered in less than two weeks, so I'll definitely be competing right along with you all. Watch out! :)

Right on--there is no better way to get some hardcore use out of your new toy than some friendly competition.

• Like 1

I plan on running 1-week competitions, starting on Sunday and running until midnight the following Sunday. Will probably keep bonus points down to a minimum...at least in the beginning, until I get back into the swing of things. It's been awhile since I did this (besides a cameo mod appearance in the VCS HSC a couple weeks ago. :)

Random draw sounds good. Roll some dice or pick games out of a hat.

The weekly poll sounds good in principle because it gives everybody some ongoing ability to influence the picks, but personally I think that might be a little more trouble than it would be worth to manage every single week. I remember last season, the voters weren't exactly coming out in droves to cast their ballots in the tournament polls. Personally, my preference would be for everybody's picks to get entered into a pool, then the moderator devises some fair way to choose the titles (rolling dice, spinning a wheel, whatever). Easy for the moderator, fair for the masses. Plus, it encourages (forces? :D) people to play games outside of their comfort zone. If every week went to a vote, I have a feeling the schedule would read like the MAME equivalent of top-40 radio: Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Galaga, Q*Bert, Donkey Kong Jr., Pole Position, Dig Dug.... you get the idea.

I agree with this ^^^

Here are my game picks ->

Bubbles

Defend the Terra Attack On the Red Ufo

Turbo

Timber

Tinkle Pit

Frenzy

Nibbler

Pepper II

Venture

Mario Bros.

Red Baron

Eyes

:thumbsup:

Edited by kane

Sounds like we're in business. Picks will be by random draw. I'm going to assign the games a number and have a RNG program pick a number. That will be the game of the week.

Competitions will run for one week (From Sunday-Sunday.) Not sure if I will do many tournaments as my time available won't allow me to maintain something of that magnitude.

I'm not sure how long the whole season will run, but it won't be for like a whole year. Maybe a 4-6 month season would suffice. Then start over.

Great game choices...keep 'em coming. I'm going to have to make sure the more obscure choices are installed in my MAME cab. ;)

Edited by Deteacher

Hey fellow gamers!

WTG Deteacher, way to wake this beautiful monster up once again!!

Hopefully we get our regulars to come back, notably BigBee99, patbb, acelkin, larcentyler, JohnnyBlaze, Barra, BillyHW, keilbaca(sorry if I missed any) No question about it, the more dedicated players we have involved the better the experience will be.

Personally, I have loads of fun with the tournaments and would hate to see them go. I understand that it is a lot of work and time that has to be spent by the moderator to consistently keep the scores up to date. So why couldn't we drastically shrink the workload of the tournaments by reducing the number of games to 3 or 4 instead of the usual 10? The number of tournaments through the season can also be reduced. Have one or two tournaments instead of almost one a month. This topic should be decided by a vote.

As for the selection of the games, I'm all for keeping it as easy as possible for the moderator. Using last year's method would suffice.

My preferred list of games:

DoDonPachi (this one is a must, this game is the best shooter I have EVER played, AKA a bullit hell game)

Raiden

Defender

Do Run Run

Mr Do's Castle

Centipede

Outrun

Rescue

Strikers 1945

MsPacMan

Amidar

Wonder Boy

Choplifters

Gradius

Thank you for taking the time to run this HSC Deteacher.

My suggestions for this year:

Zoo keeper

Bank Panic

Super Bubble bobble

Super Bagman

Sinistar

Crazy climber

Rally-X

Galaga

+1 for

Robotron

Bagman

Mr. Do

Qix

Mousetrap

Congo Bongo

Anteater

Bomb Jack

The Glob

Dig Dug

Bubbles

Timber

Nibbler

Pepper II

Venture

Do Run Run

Amidar

Edited by patbb

Any chance you might consider running the competition on a bi-weekly basis as opposed to having a new game every single week?

Personally, I've always felt that two weeks allows players sufficient time to hone their scores without experiencing "burn out" by mid-year of the competition. This is particularly important for players whose real-life responsibilities otherwise cause them to have to skip a round every few weeks due to competing priorities, as well as for potential new players to jump in after the start of the season and reasonably compete.

Edited by Fallout_002

Any chance you might consider running the competition on a bi-weekly basis as opposed to having a new game every single week?

Personally, I've always felt that two weeks allows players sufficient time to hone their scores without experiencing "burn out" by mid-year of the competition. This is particularly important for players whose real-life responsibilities otherwise cause them to have to skip a round every few weeks due to competing priorities, as well as for potential new players to jump in after the start of the season and reasonably compete.

Let's let the masses decide. :) I'll put a poll up and sticky it. :)

I am all for this..I will forgo duplicating game names since all the ones I would have picked have already been mentioned.

I will suggest maybe running themes at certain times...like shooters one time.. them puzzlers next time...platformers next.. and so on and so on.

Just my $.02 worth

Went to visit my cab today...at this time next week, it will be delivered. MAME marquee is on order and some minor wiring/configuring needs to be done, but it's fully loaded and ready to rock! Can't wait! :)

post-9712-0-62592100-1355023087_thumb.jpg

Wow, looks similiar to my brother's (Cynicaster) custom made cabinet.

Hopefully you didn't make a hasty decision on the buttons, my bro had bought a certain style of buttons and they were just too stiff. So he swapped them out for looser ones.

What kind of joystick are you going with? Are those Happ Competition sticks? My brother and I are both using the Happs and they seem to work really nice for a long time.

I am guessing that nice looking machine won't be shy on playing time. Have fun with your new beast!!

Wow, looks similiar to my brother's (Cynicaster) custom made cabinet.

Hopefully you didn't make a hasty decision on the buttons, my bro had bought a certain style of buttons and they were just too stiff. So he swapped them out for looser ones.

What kind of joystick are you going with? Are those Happ Competition sticks? My brother and I are both using the Happs and they seem to work really nice for a long time.

I am guessing that nice looking machine won't be shy on playing time. Have fun with your new beast!!

Thanks! Saturday can't come fast enough. The sticks are Happ Competition Sticks The Stick on the left is switchable 4-way/8-way by lifting up on the stick and rotating it. The buttons feel real nice. I wish there wasn't so much empty space below the monitor (wish it stretched down more) but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a couple custom made Hyperspin instruction cards. :)

Yes, this thing will get lots of playing time, between me and the kids.

I am very pleased to see this alive again. Guess I came back right on time. :cool:

Here's a few I'd like to see included:

Crazy Climber

Zoo Keeper

Astro Blaster

Donkey Kong II Jumpman Returns

Astro Battle

Balloon Bomber

Bosconian

Burger Time

Circus Charlie

Lunar Rescue

Elevator Action