IGNORED

Incognito Production Installation

Stephen

One additional thing I noticed - it looks like there is scroller text in the Incognito and SIDE loader sections, but it's off the bottom of my display so I can't read what it says.

Iam using 1084 and at bottom it says, Date, Time and Basic is off .

And where did you get and what programs for fdisking the CF card ?

thanks

One additional thing I noticed - it looks like there is scroller text in the Incognito and SIDE loader sections, but it's off the bottom of my display so I can't read what it says.

HILIGHT the file to boot then press SPACE BAR and press enter KEY.

:)

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

Wasn't the prototype [beta] pins 2,3,4,5. And why was it changed, and where is it documented.

Thanks,

All seems to work fine except carts. I Did my install based on Stephen's , I just read a post from Candle about swaping 2 wires.

So I went to the first set of pictures http://stryker.pigwa.net/800/incognito_/IMG_4618.jpg , and seen that pin 1 and 6 was not for the

4 wire install. Then I checked out the two pads on the 800 board (not the 2 with resitors) and noticed that the pad towards the front

is (Stephen) red to pin 1, and the other goes to pin 2.

Iam not going to use my 800 just incase unitl I hear whats correct.

Sorry candle - re-posting this snippet from your info:

\[b]Making connections for auxiliary header P5[/b]
This is essential for true XL/XE compatibility, as there are signals you need to tap in that are not present anywhere else in the system. These are:[list]
[*]pin #1 - HALT - nessesary for ANTIC extended memory access (so called CompyShop mode)
[*]pin #2 - IRQ - required by some PBI devices
[*]pin #3 & 4 - RD4 and RD5 - controlling cartridge port in XL/XE series (mandatory)
[*]pin #5 - RNMI - that becomes our RESET line (mandatory)
[*]pin #6 - RDY - another signal required only by some PBI devices
[/list]
Please see the picture for tapping points for all these signals.

I am checking a few things - will respond ASAP. I'm on the IRC channel if you do that. Or we can hit the chat here.

*** EDIT ***

Son-of-a-bitch. My P5 is indeed incorrect. Thanks for finding this. I will take down the offending pictures.

cartridge issue seems to be down to a single flag inside internal loader cartridge register that stays uninitialized while loader is not invoked, and should be fixable without reprogramming cpld chip, so no worries, new bios should take care of this

it's getting late, so i won't do thsi today, but it should be ready with 24hrs

sorry for that

seems that every one of us was so focused on loader and pbi driver that noone actually checked carts - i rarely use them (just have one game that i play from a cartridge - lode runner, and haven't played it for a while...)

Sebastian

cartridge issue seems to be down to a single flag inside internal loader cartridge register that stays uninitialized while loader is not invoked, and should be fixable without reprogramming cpld chip, so no worries, new bios should take care of this

it's getting late, so i won't do thsi today, but it should be ready with 24hrs

sorry for that

seems that every one of us was so focused on loader and pbi driver that noone actually checked carts - i rarely use them (just have one game that i play from a cartridge - lode runner, and haven't played it for a while...)

Sebastian

Don't worry, after all you did getting this card out, there's bound to be a bug crawl in LOL! and not many will use cart's with the CF card. The wiring issue

from Stephens did not do any harm and it still works great !

Thanks Again!!

I'm very inexperienced with this kind of stuff (installations), but I try to compensate with extreme caution. I'm never even sure if I'm going to attempt installation myself (my U1MBs are yet not installed, either), but most times, there are few-to-no alternatives in retrocomputing; I can't take it to Radio Shack and have them do it.

The point is, that I am ever-so-grateful to you capable and knowledgeable folks for taking the time to figure out stuff, document, troubleshoot, and share your experiences, and chat about this stuff here. I'm not extremely confident in my abilities, but it's pretty clear there's no way in hell I could do it without watching and learning from you guys. Thanks to you fellows in this thread, for doing this. That is very cool. Such information is priceless, even to the clueless. :)

Edited by wood_jl

ok, as promissed, here is a bios update that takes care of cartridge issue

you need to have SDX enabled while flashing (that doesn't mean you have to use it, just have to enable it since all flashers works through sdx cartridge banking register) and after it loads, wait untill normal (the same as it was while loading) screen appears - do not even think of pressing reset button ealier or turning off the machine

after flashing is done, please turn off your computer and make sure that flasher won't be executed at power up (if you're loading it through SIO device)

now you can use your cartridges normally

maybe someone could make a better instructions or video on how to do it

i would link them up to incognito page (there is one, just WIP, so i don't have it linked to the main page yet)

well, this is all for today

hopefully i'll have some more time tomorrow, so i could finnish with installation manual and overall pages

bios-update.xex

• Like 3

Worked great. The steps I followed:

Turn on machine and let it boot to SDX command prompt. Using APE I set up a mirrored PC folder with the XEX in it. Type COLD / N to force a reset with and cause the APE Loader to run. Select the XEX file and let it run. The screen will flash for a few seconds. When you get to the blue screen with white cursor in home position, power off the machine, unmount the folder, and power it back up.

I installed it by stuffing it into an ATR then mounting that with the sdrive and running it under SDX. I had to enable extended memory as it didn't seem to work with a stock XL 64K config (returned an address error)

So far it is looking much better with only my Sunmark Synapse mega-cart not working out of the first bunch I grabbed, but that one is always a bit weird it seems.

I installed the update and I have ran 20 carts and played them about 5 to 10 mins each Including Atarimax 1 and 8 megabit carts. I still have more, but Iam back to running side , Doing XL/XE

things on the 800 !!

I did not do the 2 resistor upgrade. I still have more carts to try.

Doing the P6 ( Seen How candle did it on the power board . How your mind works!! AWESOME!!) Well I have drilled holes in my 800 from the 80's So I removed 2 of the switches and iam

going to install led and push . So Pin 1 and 3 is for the Switch ? and 2 is for the led ?

Ok, I have checked this a few times. I have set the date in SDX and it shows thr 04-01-2013 at bios screen. well, it's friday here.

I hope iam not nuts.

PS: I have the battery installed.

Edited by bandit

I installed the update and I have ran 20 carts and played them about 5 to 10 mins each Including Atarimax 1 and 8 megabit carts. I still have more, but Iam back to running side , Doing XL/XE

things on the 800 !!

I did not do the 2 resistor upgrade. I still have more carts to try.

Doing the P6 ( Seen How candle did it on the power board . How your mind works!! AWESOME!!) Well I have drilled holes in my 800 from the 80's So I removed 2 of the switches and iam

going to install led and push . So Pin 1 and 3 is for the Switch ? and 2 is for the led ?

Looking at P3 Pins:

#1 to Cathode of LED

#2 to Anode of LED

#3 to Momentary Switch (other lead of switch goes to ground)