IGNORED

Altirra 2.20 released

phaeron

Very nice! Thanks a bunch for all your hard work!

In my quest for a 5200 emulator that works with a joystick properly, I have a question...

Is it possible to use a wireless XBOX 360 controller with the 5200 emulation. I've tried it and almost nothing works. I tried remapping them but still no love. I know it's seeing the controller because one of the triggers speeds up the emulation. On the 800 emulation the stick works almost always.

Also Is it possible to feed command line values on execution to this program, like full screen (alt-enter) and the machine type and program to load? I keep trying to get all my emulators within the Mala front end :)

Very nice! Thanks a bunch for all your hard work!

In my quest for a 5200 emulator that works with a joystick properly, I have a question...

Is it possible to use a wireless XBOX 360 controller with the 5200 emulation. I've tried it and almost nothing works. I tried remapping them but still no love. I know it's seeing the controller because one of the triggers speeds up the emulation. On the 800 emulation the stick works almost always.

It sounds like you are trying to use the regular XBOX controller mapping in 5200 mode. This mode won't work as the 5200 controller is a very different beast from regular 800 joysticks and paddles. You need to set up a 5200-specific mapping for your controller in Input | Input Maps.

Also Is it possible to feed command line values on execution to this program, like full screen (alt-enter) and the machine type and program to load? I keep trying to get all my emulators within the Mala front end :)

Not on the fly, but there are a lot of configuration switches -- run altirra /? to get a list. You can request it to go full screen, to switch to a specific computer type and to boot an image.

Wow, thats for the quick reply. I got the xbox controller mapped and it worked perfect the first time. Of course on some game like missle command it's just not playable but for a lot of games it work great.

The Mala front end exec line looked like this - /hardware:5200 /f /cartmapper 19 "%path%\%rom%.%ext%"

That lead me to some other issues.. Not all of the dumps use cartmapper 19. Is there anyway I can sign them to pick the proper mapper? I'm guessing not.

The other issue I have is I can't map the xbox to quit the program so it will return to Mala. So it's Alt-enter followed by alt-f-x. I could see no way of doing this with the controller.

Thanks much for the help. I've been working on this Mala thing for about a week. Have a lot of different emulators working great with it.

That lead me to some other issues.. Not all of the dumps use cartmapper 19. Is there anyway I can sign them to pick the proper mapper? I'm guessing not.

Yes, you can -- the .CAR format has a header that tells the emulator which mapper to use. In Altirra, use File | Save Firmware | Save Cartridge, and make sure the file type is set to "Cartridge image with header." Not all mappers can be specified this way -- the ones that can't don't have a number in the mapper window -- but all the common ones do, and you'll get an error otherwise.

I found out that in a previous test release I had made changes that broke single instance mode... oops. Fixed version:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.30-test6.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.30-test6-src.zip

This version also has a bunch of other changes:

• Fixed some focus issues with the new tab stacking.
  • A partial fix for a VBXE blitting issue (trying to start a blit when one is already in progress).
  • A lot of 65C816 fixes -- besides generally better reliability, the emulator should now show compatibility problems due to abs,X and abs,Y addressing wrapping to bank $01. Just so you know, it is really hard to find an answer to questions like "what happens when you do LDA 0,X with X=$FFFF and M=0."
  • More updates to the LLE OS, including fine scrolling, improved cassette support, type 3 and type 4 device polling, and relocatable handler loading. BTW, I would be interested if anyone knows of actual hardware that used either of the latter two features.
  • There is now a separate XE hardware mode, and the floating data bus is now emulated in 800 and XE hardware modes. This means the VAPI version of Archon now boots in 800/48K mode, and you can now reproduce the nice artifacts from the XL/XE compatibility thread. I plan to get the IRQ timing and GTIA variations implemented in the XE mode as well.
  • Added support for Axlon banked memory.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't know why Altirra 2.10 didn't run on WINE on my NetBook (GPU: Intel GMA945). And I still don't know why it runs longer, so I can switch to OpenGL.

The same version ran perfectly on WINE on my PC (GPU: Nvidia GTX460) - with DirectX, and since I don't install NFS:World anymore also without.

May be it's caused by the older WINE version on the NetBook (WINE 1.4 vs. always the current version on the PC).

When I look at the artifacts in your emulator, I see the nicely drawn artifacts that cause Blue/Yellow colored borders.

Altirra just ignores those artifacts which cause the red/green coloring (caused by diagonally arranged pixels underneath).

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 I think, and wine 1.4 and it's working on my machine. Was sitting there playing a copy of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. I did run into a problem where Synassembler won't output to P: but if I go to DOS and copy a file to P: that does work. Not really sure if I even want to spend time trying to see if it can be fixed. Might just be easier to plug back in my Windows machine. I am totally thrilled that it's working with Wine though! Awesome job.

On Windows, Altirra can run at full speed and turbo to about 500% on a 1.6GHz Atom... not that impressive in the history of Atari emulators, but definitely better than what you are seeing under WINE. You should look into both the graphical settings in WINE and the display settings in Altirra in Options | Display. I can't provide any more help than that because you are essentially running a Windows program on faux Windows and there is an awful lot that can go wrong in this scenario, such as falling back to software OpenGL (slooooowwwwwww). For best results you want to get your setup to the point that it can support Direct3D shader model 2.0 -- the graphics hardware on your Atom-based system should be capable of that, but I'm not sure how things fare on the OpenGL side.

I took a shot at virtual folder mounting using the SpartaDOS file system instead of DOS 2, and I think I've got it working:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.30-test7.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.30-test7-src.zip

Upsides over the DOS 2 filesystem are that it supports timestamps, subdirectories, and more files, and of course it works better with SpartaDOS. The main downsides are that it requires a bigger virtual disk to work -- due to the high branching factor from the sector maps -- and it doesn't handle reloading as smoothly. SDX's caching prevents direct updating of directory entries or sector maps, and it turns out that bumping the sequence counter causes the current directory to reset. Still, it's easier to set up than PCLink for folder mapping.

• Like 3

Native dx9 libs don't solve the problem.

Anyway, it's running well on my other PC. The NetBook is for travelling only anyway, and when I use it on several Atari-meetings, it's used as a disk-jokey only.

If I should guess, I'd say, it would be very hard to make a Linux port of Altirra, as it uses a native Windows-GUI, right?

I took a shot at virtual folder mounting using the SpartaDOS file system instead of DOS 2, and I think I've got it working:

Brilliant - can't wait to give this a test. I'm incredibly impressed by the way you implement stuff like this so quickly and with such great insight. This (and the same functioinality in a hardware peripheral emulator, if it ever happens) is something I've been excited to see for quite some time.

sure.. but why? :)

W1k, you have to ask yourself this question..

If you bug the emulation author constantly do you think its going to make him MORE likely to look at your request and think about implementing it or LESS likely to bother with it and think you are a pest?

The bottom line is that its Averys emulator, he puts in or not whatever HE wants, when people posts idea's and requests he decides if its viable and it gets stored for future thought if its worth it.