IGNORED

Princess Quest initial impressions

grips03

I just got Princess Quest and wanted to share some initial thoughts about the game. First the game looks great and speed at which the players move and the pace/length of the stages is just right (I'm only up to stage 3). The background music also suits the game well. The box, manual, etc is all perfect.

Player control however is a challenge due to only using 4 way control in the game. For example you move controller to right, then the player moves right. Then you accidentally press to right / up or right / down, well in Princess Quest the player stops. Practice does help, but a 4 way controller helps much more.

I think it would have been better to use the Bugs 'n Bots control method, i.e. if right is pressed go right, if right / up or right / down is pressed keep going right and just grab the next ladder either up or down depending on if your pressing right / up or right / down. The B'nB control method is also good when you want to avoid accidentally going up a ladder and your moving right, you just press right or right / down and it will ensure your character does not go up when it crosses the up ladder's path. Since right / down is in the corner of the joystick / controller it is easy to ensure the joystick is in this position. Conversely pressing right or right / up avoids down ladders.

Additionally it would have been great to shoot in all 8 directions in Princess Quest, even while player is moving as the bad guys come at player from all these directions.

Edited by grips03
  • Like 3

I just got Princess Quest and wanted to share some initial thoughts about the game. First the game looks great and speed at which the players move and the pace/length of the stages is just right (I'm only up to stage 3). The background music also suits the game well. The box, manual, etc is all perfect.

Player control however is a challenge due to only using 4 way control in the game. For example you move controller to right, then the player moves right. Then you accidentally press to right / up or right / down, well in Princess Quest the player stops. Practice does help, but a 4 way controller helps much more.

I think it would have been better to use the Bugs 'n Bots control method, i.e. if right is pressed go right, if right / up or right / down is pressed keep going right and just grab the next ladder either up or down depending on if your pressing right / up or right / down. The B'nB control method is also good when you want to avoid accidentally going up a ladder and your moving right, you just press right or right / down and it will ensure your character does not go up when it crosses the up ladder's path. Since right / down is in the corner of the joystick / controller it is easy to ensure the joystick is in this position. Conversely pressing right or right / up avoids down ladders.

Additionally it would have been great to shoot in all 8 directions in Princess Quest, even while player is moving as the bad guys come at player from all these directions.

did you by chance pick up quest for the golden chalice ?

So far, I've been able to get to level 3 couple of times. I've been taking a lot of hits from the level 2 boss. I'm going to need to work out a better strategy for that boss.

Awesome game that is a real challenge.

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 1

game is very good, but perhaps something could have done about the controls? Game plays fine with 4 way controller, but default CV controller is 8 way. If you have have controller that is good for Pac-Man Collection, use the same one for this game.

Boss 1 = climb to top of highest ladder, when Tarnasus (man-bear-pig) retreats to right, go down and stand at top of lower ladder and shoot right 3 times or so, then go back up to highest ladder - repeat- until dead

Boss 2 = Venus Knighttrap, helps to have mace, if Knight has full power go as close to boss as possible then fire like crazy, usually takes me two guys - perhaps there is another method? I've tried getting behind the plant and shooting but this does not work

Level 3 = take your time and explore as you need to have 5 crosses to fight boss at end.

Boss 3 = get the golden armor and then just attack the Beheaded Knight boss on the same level he is on. I usually lose 2 guys during this.

Level 4 = climb up ladders, a little harder to see but its a very colorful level. At top is boss 4

Boss 4 = Galseius the Hermit, you need to hit him in the head. Best weapon is boomerang that you get in level 4. Stay on lower level near ladder, after he throws rocks avoid them by climbing up, hist shots will miss as he aimed for lower level, then hit him with boomerang. Then climb back down and repeat process.

I've not made it past level 4.

Edited by grips03
  • Like 1

Just got this today, and it's definitely an awesome game... but argh!!!!, level 5 is made of hate! So much random death raining down at hyper speed :P

Is there a proper strategy for this stage, or do you just need to hoard your extra lives and power through it?

Edited by InfraMan
  • Like 1

Just got this today, and it's definitely an awesome game... but argh!!!!, level 5 is made of hate! So much random death raining down at hyper speed :P

Is there a proper strategy for this stage, or do you just need to hoard your extra lives and power through it?

what are you doing to defeat the bosses? anything different than what I have above?

• Like 1

what are you doing to defeat the bosses? anything different than what I have above?

Bear in mind that I've only played once, so I'm not exactly an authority on boss strategies. However, I'd say you shouldn't be losing any lives on the bosses, since you'll probably need them for the hateful assault of stages 4 and 5 :P

Stage 1 boss, I did more or less the same thing as you. Fire off a few shots, climb up to the top, drop back down and repeat. Dodge shots as needed.

For stage 2, I just hang aound the middle set of ladders, climb up or down to the same level the boss is on, and just fire as fast as possible. Since you can destroy the boss's shots, you probably won't even get hit here.

Stage 3, try to hang out near the left side of the screen. Fire 3-4 shots, then climb up or down to avoid the boss's shots. If you time it right, the first two shots should have gone straight towards where you were, while the third angles and misses you. He goes in order from top to bottom, so you'll know where you need to be.

Stage 4, using the boomerang I just stood on the top platform and fired as fast as possible the whole time. Your shots destroy the boulder most of the time, so the boss should die before you as long as you're near full health when you start.

Stage 5, ???

• Like 1

Just gave it another shot and managed to make it all the way through this time. You definitely want to have at least one life to waste on Stage 5, since farming hearts is next to impossible. Just climb like hell and shoot the ghosts(?) whenever they wander too close to you... there's a golden armor power-up about 3/4 of the way up that makes things a little easier.

Luckily the final boss is pretty easy, as long as you're patient :)

• Like 1

Boss 1 = climb to top of highest ladder, when Tarnasus (man-bear-pig) retreats to right, go down and stand at top of lower ladder and shoot right 3 times or so, then go back up to highest ladder - repeat- until dead - won't lose a life

Boss 2 = Venus Knighttrap, use ladders on right go up and down, and when on same at same level as plant shoot him - won't lose a life

I'm good until here, going to practice level 3 and 4 some more

I had too few guys at level 5 so I died

nanochess - this is your best yet on CV!

• Like 1

Hmm, I guess I gave more gameplay tips than actual impressions, lol...

The game is spectacular, definitely one of the best CV games I've ever played... I can't believe how fast and smooth it runs! Plus, it has great opening and ending screens, always a welcome feature on the CV!

I did have one small nitpick, in that it seemed to not want to shoot in mid-air while jumping to the left sometimes. Kind of a weird issue, but the situation almost never came up anyway :P

Other than that, awesome, awesome, awesome! :) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I did have one small nitpick, in that it seemed to not want to shoot in mid-air while jumping to the left sometimes. Kind of a weird issue, but the situation almost never came up anyway :P

I noticed the same and thought the same.

Level 3 boss is still giving me issues, I lose a guy or two here

Level 4 boss is easy now, just stand at the top/right of the platform with boomerang and shoot shoot shoot. - no loss of life

I can get to level 5 with 4 guys left, and to level 5 boss with 2-3 guy left, so now just need to figure him out.

Level 5 = just run for it and get the golden armour. Before armour wears out make sure to kill the ghosts around the knight.

Boss 5 = just stay at the bottom and dodge the shots he throws and when he is near the bottom shoot him / or jump and shoot him.

Edited by grips03
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...