IGNORED

Xonox Press Release: Thundarr the Barbarian (aka Tomarc)

NIAD

For that matter, with the exception of maybe 2 games, all of Xonox' CV games were turds but that is to be expected when programmers are given a timeframe of 90 days to get the job done. Maybe with a team of programmers working together, better games could have been developed, but it seems like most were done by 2 programmers at most.

So what do I consider the two exceptions in Xonox' CV library? I would say Artillery Duel with it's 2-player simultaneous gameplay and Motocross Racer. I know some people have a sweet spot for It's Only RnR, but I just could never get into that game and Sir Lancelot was close but should have been so much more especially considering the game, Joust, they borrowed heavily from.

To be honest, I really loved Artillery Duel back in the 80s and it's one of the few carts I keep for my physical CV collection. Back then I had the double-ender with Chuck Norris Superkicks and we played the shit outta that one too. I remember we had a LOT of fun (and were very impressed with) Sir Lancelot as well.

But this Tomarc game, yikes!...it's funny, but who knows? Maybe way back when I would have really thought it was something; that's the sad thing about our hobby, I guess. You can't explain to a kid today how exciting it was to play video games back then, any video game really...Tomarc has different screens; even that was kinda different back then. In a recent rant I had about the Jag games, people tend to forget that you really can't compare...I mean, some games are just univerally bad.

I guess it's like this: think about how much the internet itself shapes your opinions. Before the internet, it was only your friends and other media that helped shape your conclusions about what was fun or not. I spent HOURS playing that Chuck Norris game, trying to jump kick the candles because a friend said there were more levels afterwards! HOURS...lol, and same with Turbo: I spent a WHOLE DAY racing along because my cousin said that eventually you drive past the WHITE HOUSE, lol...

Old school gaming, man. Kids don't know what they're missing today, lol!...mark your calendar: today is THE DAY I realize I'm one of those old farts! LOL