IGNORED

DIY MSX cartridge box

Seob

Since i have a few loose Konami MSX cartridges laying around i decided i wanted to make some boxes to protect them.

I downloaded some ready made Konami boxes from a website, but since they are a bit taller then the cartridge they are a bit flimsy.

After going to a MSX retrofair, i noticed some new MSX cartridge releases that used a small slip in cover that contained the cartridge. I decide this was the kind of cover i wanted for my loose cartridges.

So after spending a few hours i've come up with this. Still needs a little work, since colors are way of and the box is a little to wide, and the cover is the wrong way around (I wanted the cartridge opening on the right.), but it's a start.

post-5654-0-82177800-1360540376_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-66044400-1360540383_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-98320300-1360540390_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-53274600-1360540397_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. I keep my loose carts in a stand on the wall, cartridge opening facing down. Those miniature boxes look neat, just hope that in case anyone copies your idea, it is obvious that the boxes are fan made to not fool anyone about an actual released box edition. As for F1 Spirit, that one is rather small to start with so it could be at risk of mistaking, but most of the other cartridges came in rather oversized boxes to keep separate from the smaller ones.

In a similar spirit, I had reason to find cartridge shells for MSX and Sord M5 games. I found that a number of formats: Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive/Genesis, Nintendo Famicom and possibly a few more have roughly the same exterior dimensions but it can be difficult to find or adapt a shell from a "cheaper" system to perfectly fit. So far I sawed my way through the shells from two broken Sonic 1 games. After a lot of fixing, I got a semi-decent fit for the MSX game (Blagger, loose PCB) but I never was able to perfectly fixate the Sord M5 multicart PCB inside a similar PCB. If I come across some virtually for free SMS game, I might have a try with that one.

I've seen a few people using compact cassette boxes as shell for msx cartridge games. They have the right size.

I know that there are a few games released in small boxes from Konami, but they all are a bit bigger and have a tray inside.

Since the artwork is a bit stretched out i still have so look for a way to get it scaled right, and filling in the open space.

Today i have made a new cover, eliminating a few problems with the earlier versions, like color and deformation of the image because of resizing.

Still made the same mistake with the box opening on the left side, but i keep it this way now.

Added a few screenshots on the front to get around the resizing of the front.

post-5654-0-01793000-1360614344_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-90279200-1360614365_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-92879000-1360614674_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-44842000-1360614684_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...