IGNORED

Sears Video Arcade II cartridge slot size?

Serious

I'm considering acquiring a Video Arcade II system..

Does anyone know how the cartridge slot size compares to the Atari consoles?

Specifically, will it accommodate Red Label, Activision, Imagic Blue Labels, and other larger cartridge types? Or is it more akin to a sixer?

My Video Arcade II has a big cartridge slot. It fits all my games, and is definitely bigger than the 7800s (apparently there were several slightly different 7800 runs made). The 7800s wouldn't fit red label or Imagic games, but my Video Arcade II fits them all. The only issue I've had is that it won't play RealSports Volleyball. The screen rolls like on a PAL game, continuously. It also appears to be better shielded than my 4 switcher, which makes the picture quality better, but not better than a 6 switcher. And amazingly, it's made in the USA (perhaps Sears required that at that time?).

Edited by littleman jack
  • Like 1

It fits all my games, and is definitely bigger than the 7800s

The only issue I've had is that it won't play RealSports Volleyball.

It also appears to be better shielded than my 4 switcher

Awesome. That helps quite a bit! Thank you.

I received my Sears Video Arcade II today, and I'm very happy with it so far.

There's alot to like. Besides this being an attractive piece of hardware, the switch layout is nice, and you can wrap the cord around the prongs on the bottom of the unit. It feels very well-designed.

The lights on the different switches is great. I have had no problem fitting any generation of VCS cartridge into the unit so far, and no compatibility problems.

I have two minor things I don't care for, so far:

1. The expert switches reset themselves to novice upon power-off. I have to switch them back to expert each time I use it.

2. There isn't much clearance above the controller ports, so some of my controllers won't fit. This should be easily addressable by using an controller extension cord.

I took some photos of the unit, the box, and the pack-in items to share.

photo173_zps2368be83.jpg

Here it is powered-on, with the LEDs lit:

photo166_zpsc9856e0f.jpg

photo167_zps761a09f2.jpg

Here is the underside of the unit. The Color/B&W and channel selecter switches are here. The cord wrap-around will be very nice while storing this.

photo171_zps7c8cb228.jpg

The box it comes in has a handle on top, which is a nice touch (but not easy to see in the photo).

photo170_zpsffd0ea9c.jpg

And here are the pack-in items:

photo168_zpsee5532c0.jpg

It comes with 4 controllers (two in this photo are still sealed in the original plastic):

photo169_zpsc42292f8.jpg

The A/V output is pretty good. Better than my 4 switchers, but not as good as some of my sixers.

Overall, I think it makes a great companion unit for a sixer (which is what I was hoping for), since it seems to fit the games that don't fit into the slot on my sixers.

• Like 2

BTW how are you getting that playstation controller working with the sears.

I have an adapter that someone with more electronic skill than I made. You can find the plans for it on the web.

I originally intended to use it with a PS2 "fight stick" controller, but found that I love using just the standard PS2 controller with it. My hands never get tired with the thumbstick, and I seem to have better directional control.

• 4 weeks later...