IGNORED

Navarone Cartridge Expander

Manic1975

Does somebody know how to build Navarone Cartridge Expander? I'am looking for blueprint or something similar.

Can anybody help me with this project?

Ah, the Navarone Widgit! I have one. Later today I will send pix of top and bottom of the board, if that will help.

...lee

Does somebody know how to build Navarone Cartridge Expander? I'am looking for blueprint or something similar.

Can anybody help me with this project?

Wouldn't you rather have an original one? I'm sure I have a few somewhere in the "TI storage closet".

I would rather have original one, but shipping from USA is expensive and I didn't find anyone from Europe. Gazoo are you willing to sell me one? Maybe donate for shipping price?

Donate for the shipping price is ok. Let me find one first. I will dig this weekend and see if I can find it's burial plot.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm.... I'm just thinking.... How about a new PCB layout for a Navarone style 3 or maybe 4 cart as a group buy? We have the talent here to do the PCB layout (hint hint!). I don't think we'd need a case for the board, it would just require a strip of rubber or something to be glued on at the back end of the board, so that it sits nicely on the black sloped surface of the console. This would prevent stress on the cart connector in the console.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

The board and the parts to build one of your own would cost about $20 (rough guess there, but I know the connectors are about $1.50 each, the rubber feet are about $1.00, the switch is about $1.00, and the other random bits are about $0.50). Note this doesn't include the bare board to put everything onto. Add $10 for assembly and shipping and you come close to that $30 price. Note that is what it would cost to build one now, so anything $30 or less is reasonable. I have seen them quite often in the $20 and under range though, so waiting is also an option.

Edited by Ksarul

How much do these usually go for? Looking on eBay they are about $30, is this good? Looking at getting one thx :)

If you are referring to << THIS ONE >> currently on eBait, I say go for it because WAITING SUX!

Seriously, Ksarul is right, $30 and under is a good deal. You could also wait forever for a $20.00 one to pop up. The shipping on this one is reasonable too! Besides, if you did build your own, would it look as nice? Would it be as quick to obtain? The one at the linked auction will probably clean up nicely.

• 3 months later...

So, besides esthetics and relocated selector and reset buttons, is there a difference between these two models.

The silver is sexier, and would probably look uber-cool sitting empty in the slot, but is there a quality/feature difference between the two???

I replaced the GROM port several times on my original TI, and would prefer not having to go through that again every few months now that I'm back in the game.

Now here's the real clincher...the prices (converted to Canadian dollars for your heartfelt tears and sympathy*)

Black unboxed = $36.31 + Shipping 13.04 (unpackaged so no import fees)...total $49.35

Silver boxed = $51.94 + Shipping 29.25 ($13.95 Import fee (what happened to "free trade"???))...total $95.14 (!)

Now I'm an enthusiast not a collector, so the box means nothing, but I honestly don't mind paying double the price if there's an appreciable quality difference between the two.

*(not only do we play hockey (way) better than you, but we lower the value of our dollar, just so you can have cheaper gas!! Are we great neighbours or what!?!?!)

post-40994-0-74598400-1418583626_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There is no difference in the quality of the parts--it is just a color thing. Silver is generally rare, however, so it is probably worth the price differential. The only one that has higher quality parts were their original prototype expanders. Those had a huge, three-position rotary switch and an industrial-strength push button.