IGNORED

Colecovision bank switching

19rsn007

I have been google-ing for the last hour and a half trying to find out if colecovision uses bank switching with some games.

I am trying to build an SRAM cartridge so I upload my own created stuff to an sram chip (and of course try games on real hardware before buying them).

So far I've created one game called space defend and it was fun playing it on emulators, but now I want to try it on my actual colecovision.

Do I have certain limitations when it comes to filesize of games on my coleco or will it take 32k without bankswitching ?

The Colecovision is able to manage a linear ROM of 32K, the cartridge port has four different lines to decode zones of 8K ROM 8000-9FFF, A000-BFFF, C000-DFFF and E000-FFFF.

More information http://www.hardwarebook.info/ColecoVision_Cartridge

Any of the original cartridge releases run with 32K or less of ROM and doesn't use any special mapping. Though there are some recent homebrew games that use 128K or more using a special mapper Megacart created by Eduardo Mello (opcode)

But if you really want to try games you should get an AtariMax Ultimate SD Cartridge for Colecovision, it can contain all the games you want http://www.atarimax.com