Photo

Recent Pickup, need help...

25 replies to this topic

#1 Foily OFFLINE  

Foily

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 PM

Hi, I am a long time collector of all video game systems, and I recently came across some intellivision stuff. I am a little under the radar when it comes to intellivision, so any info or help would be greatly appreciated. The lot consisted of 30 NIB intellivision games, and one of them was a demo cart. I looked all over and could not find any sold listings. How rare and what is the value of one of these?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And second is a keyboard and the matching game I recieved a couple of years ago. Value and Rarity would be cool to know.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks

#2 Games For Your Intellivision OFFLINE  

Games For Your Intellivision

River Patroller

• 2,311 posts

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 PM

Melody Blaster is very rare, and hard to come by....too bad it is loose, but worth probably $50 US at least...

The Demo Cart is rare and probably would sell for $150 and up to collectors in good condition like your is.

#3 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 12,089 posts
  • Running out of things to buy.

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 PM

Yep, Willy's right, the Demo cart you have is likely worth at least $150 sealed. I believe I paid about that much for mine. What were the other sealed games?

#4 slab0meat OFFLINE  

slab0meat

Stargunner

• 1,574 posts

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 PM

Any idea if you're keeping all the stuff in the lot, or selling off any?

:)

#5 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 16,174 posts

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 AM

Yeah, what other games did you get? pics?

I never find stuff like this in the wild!!!

#6 B0B 1ob1aw OFFLINE  

B0B 1ob1aw

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts
  • _\|/_
  • Location:Cloudy Mountain (well it's a foggy hill in MA actually)

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:04 AM

Demonstration cartridge mmm... :lust: I'll have to wait for an open one though!

#7 Foily OFFLINE  

Foily

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:07 PM

I am in the process of downsizing my collection in the upcoming months. I sold the melodey blaster with keyboard and all the other NIB intellivision games. I still have the NIB Demo cart. Is it an item I should hold on to or sell? Is the going rate still around $150 or is it more now?

#8 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,188 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:38 PM

I am in the process of downsizing my collection in the upcoming months. I sold the melodey blaster with keyboard and all the other NIB intellivision games. I still have the NIB Demo cart. Is it an item I should hold on to or sell? Is the going rate still around $150 or is it more now?

Oops, just saw your pics..

Edited by JasonlikesINTV, Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:39 PM.

#9 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 12,089 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 PM

I suspect you could get a bit higher than that right now.

#10 Foily OFFLINE  

Foily

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:47 AM

Do you think I should get it graded?

#11 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,357 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:52 AM

In the end, getting it grade only costs you money that you will not recover.  You will get the same price whether it is graded or not, IMO.

As far as I know, no one here pays attention to grading, and there are more experts here than anywhere.

Edited by SoulBuster, Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:53 AM.

#12 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 12,089 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:03 PM

For the love of all that is holy please don't do that. You will lose almost every single Inty collector as a potential buyer starting with me. Don't do it. :)

#13 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,357 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:01 PM

For the love of all that is holy please don't do that. You will lose almost every single Inty collector as a potential buyer starting with me. Don't do it. :)

One of the experts.

#14 Utopia OFFLINE  

Utopia

Dragonstomper

• 782 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 PM

I don't really understand grading but am I correct that you pay for a service that gives you some type of authoritative certificate as to the value?

What would be the point of this and who does it and why? Certainly I don't see Intellivision games getting this treatment. And by what means is the value obtained?

I think we all know what our games are worth.

#15 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,188 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:23 PM

I believe the bulk of the Intellivision collector community is anti-grading. I can only speak for myself, by I trust my own personal inspection FAR more than an overpriced grading by a third party. It doesn't provide any additional confidence for collectors, and most would-be buyers refuse to pay the premium. Sealed games are enough of a crapshoot, but grading is the worst.

#16 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,950 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 PM

:thumbsdown:  :thumbsdown:

#17 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,648 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:37 PM

Grading can die in a fire.

#18 Steve Jones ONLINE  

Steve Jones

Dragonstomper

• 890 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:52 PM

yes what Jason said, would never pay extra for "graded"

#19 freewheel OFFLINE  

freewheel

River Patroller

• 3,071 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:12 PM

I don't really understand grading but am I correct that you pay for a service that gives you some type of authoritative certificate as to the value?

What would be the point of this and who does it and why? Certainly I don't see Intellivision games getting this treatment. And by what means is the value obtained?

I think we all know what our games are worth.

Grading isn't about finding out what something is worth. It's about coming up with a completely artificial and arbitrary "grade" for an item's condition - basically how undamaged something is. And then forever sealing said item in a locked container so that you can guarantee no further damage can ever happen to it (which is a good amount of horseshit, but that's a whole other topic). In theory the grade helps determine the value of an item for those people that think a microscopic bit of damage should knock 50% off the value of something. And I'm not exaggerating with that figure.

It's infected most collecting hobbies and really just exists to feed speculators and people trying to turn other people's hobby into an "investment". It leads to ridiculous price bubbles and will likely result in a few hobbies seeing prices implode in the coming years. Due to the same mentality I watched 2 decades-old hobbies absolutely explode 20 years ago, and nearly destroy both industries during the downward swings. A hell of a lot of bankruptcies happened because people thought they could retire over ridiculously over-valued garbage.

But I don't really have a strong opinion on the issue. :D

#20 Foily OFFLINE  

Foily

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:19 PM

That is a nay on grading. Lol. I have never graded an item before and thought it might help. Thanks for the inputs. Still dibating if I want to sell it.

#21 freewheel OFFLINE  

freewheel

River Patroller

• 3,071 posts

Posted Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:40 AM

Personally, these are the kinds of things I'd hang on to. They're a lot rarer than any regular game - and just kinda cool. It's not just a piece of garbage that's rare because it didn't sell. These were only used in specific places for specific purposes. Test/Demo carts fascinate me, because the only people who saw them back in the day were "insiders". We ALL had the chance to order shitty low-production games.

I'm always surprised the prices aren't a fair bit higher for these things. Sure, they're usually not "fun" - but I seriously doubt people pay $1000+ because Spiker! is just so amazing to play and there's no other way to experience it beyond the original cart.

#22 Foily OFFLINE  

Foily

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 AM

I still have the Demo cart, and I need a estimate of value for insurance purposes. I have been to a number of local game stores, and have been told a wide range of potential value from $300 to $1200. What is a realistic value? It will be for sale later this year when I get it from storage. Thank you for any help.

#23 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 12,089 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 AM

I think $300 would be the absolute minimum and I'm pretty sure you would be able to get $500-600 at auction in all likelihood. I can't see how it could get above $1000.

#24 the1hatman OFFLINE  

the1hatman

Stargunner

• 1,063 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:42 PM

I still have the Demo cart, and I need a estimate of value for insurance purposes. I have been to a number of local game stores, and have been told a wide range of potential value from $300 to $1200. What is a realistic value? It will be for sale later this year when I get it from storage. Thank you for any help.

cmart's assessment is as accurate as you'll find anywhere, so $500-600 sounds about right. If someone offered you anywhere near $1200 TAKE IT RIGHT NOW!!!

#25 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 3,063 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 PM

I would very much like that sealed Demo Cart - I could trade you an open Blue one plus cash. That way you have both. LOL

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users