IGNORED

Alien Inbound

GadgetUK

What I might do with Alien is produce a limited run of PCB's. So, I wouldnt sell the ROM with the PCB, I would sell a PCB with a socket for the chip. Then if anyone wants LynxOps or Alien or anything else putting on there I will seperately sell the EEPROM at cost. This isn't as dodgy as its supposed to sound - if I can get PCB's made for like $10, and a socket is $1, it would be like $11 for the board, and however many $ for EPROM. ie. pretty much a profitless run of cards just to be able to get a card out there. In summary, the plan is to produce my own cards and for games like Alien effectively give the game away - only cost being very cheap for the PCB. Likewise, if someone else wants to do that themselves i've got no problem with it.

This sounds like a neat idea but isn't it just a more complicated way of doing what FlashCard does? I would love to see a run of PCBs with a box and manual, but the EEPROM socket switching PCB seems a bit complex when there is already FlashCard. Just my thoughts, either way I would buy in ;)

Basically I don't want to make any money off Alien for obvious reasons. What I might do is a boxed, with manual version, and have full breakdown of costs so its all tranparent. My time will be free, the code free, just cost of PCB, solder, and printed material, chip and obviously postage. My concern if I am honest is one going missing in post. I've never had anything ever lost in the postal system before, but I dont know what other countries postal systems are like, so likely most expensive point will be postage.

Can anyone recommend a company in uk or europe that makes PCBs to order?

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 2

I strongly recommend you contact Lynxman.

Not only did he create the flashcard, but he also designed various of the homebrew PCBs. If anyone knows where to get cost effective PCBs it should be him.

Basically I don't want to make any money off Alien for obvious reasons. What I might do is a boxed, with manual version, and have full breakdown of costs so its all tranparent. My time will be free, the code free, just cost of PCB, solder, and printed material, chip and obviously postage. My concern if I am honest is one going missing in post. I've never had anything ever lost in the postal system before, but I dont know what other countries postal systems are like, so likely most expensive point will be postage.

Ask Lynxman :)

He is the best......in making boards for the Lynx

• 2 weeks later...

v0.5. It's almost complete now. Just a few bits of Android code to finish and a little tidying up. Some sound in there now, although I couldn't add sounds from Der Luchs (thanks for trying, I think its because you've changed versions of Chipper since you did the music or something!?!?), so you are stuck with my efforts :P It has been a nightmare regards RAM - seriously, the number of times i've had to tweak segment sizes by a few bytes, and then create new segments and re-map all of the memory in order to squeze more code in... I am amazed it works tbh!!

http://www.c5softwar...ds/Alien0.5.zip

And if anyone wants to read the speccy instructions (I will type some Lynx ones up later with a box etc):-

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-info/a/Alien.txt

Edited by GadgetUK

I've got a few too many in the pipeline at the moment but I was thinking of doing a 'mech' fps game, much easier because its out doors and 8 directional sprites (ala doom) would work OK. Add in some scenary and your done. Comm lynx would be cool there as well.

Did you say you do 'game requests', if so, hows about a decent FPS for the Lynx....like a port of jagggie's AvP or Doom

Otr failing that something like Star Raiders but with updated lynx gfx...but keeping the same gameplay

Did you not see the Luchsenstein 3D demo? An FPS is planned already. :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211857-luchsenstein-3d/

Doom would not be possible due to textured ceilings and floors as well as height differences, but a Wolfenstein-like FPS is very possible and obschan proved it. :)

@GadgetUK

Great to see the progress made! :P

Edited by 108 Stars

There are some bugs yet btw, like not refreshing screen properly when alien appears etc.

Quoting myself - I know :P

There were a LOT of bugs in that last version. I did a load of changes yesterday and may put a version out tonight if I get chance. I've fixed an aweful lot of bugs, optimized code in places (had no choice, I ran out of RAM weeks ago lol), and added end scoring, improved general play and added android code in. There's just a question of whether I can add room dmg and fires, honestly not sure due to RAM.

Someone is looking at the 'enhanced' graphics as well and let me be first to say they look great compared to the current C64 graphics!!! Once I get those graphics, and I am convinced there are no bugs, I will promote to v1.0. Tell you what makes the Lynx harder to develop for - the number of active users willing to test. Alien is a bit niche so I can understand lack of interest.

Edited by GadgetUK