IGNORED

Which would you choose - an Atari 800 or an 800XL?

AtariDude

Hi everyone.

I am considering obtaining either the Atari 800 or Atari 800XL. I used to have an Atari 800XL as this was the first computer I ever owned. I recently went to a computer show where someone was selling an Atari 800 for $10 but it seem to have a problem with the hinge where the metal shielding had come and I don't think the gentleman who was selling it had the cables.

Anyway, I was considering obtaining the 800 since I never owned it and I understand that it has a better keyboard than the 800XL. I know that with the 800XL you can get a translator disk to let you run software that only ran on the Atari 800 but it wouldn't be the same.

If you had to choose between the two systems, which one would you choose and why?

The Atari 800 was my first system.. then I got the 800XL... sold them both off a few years ago, now I just recently aquired a 800XL again...

I like the small-form of the 800XL oppose to the big and bulkyness of the 800... however... I can't run certain things like Moon Patorl without the sound being messed up or SAM (Software Automatic Mouth) becuase of some built in basic it has....

I don't have a translator disk and never messed with one yet.. so I'm not sure about that... maybe it's more a persoanl preference?

The keyboard on the 800 is a little nicer than the XL, I will admit, but I still like the cosmetic appearance of the XL much more, plus it has 64k built in as the 800 only had 48k I think?

If you get an 800 though, I don't think you'll have any of the problems that are fixable with the XL....

10 bucks, I would pick it up!!

Clint Thompson

I'd definitely take the XL over the original. Having more RAM means having to pass through disks less often (i.e. when I use Copymate 4.4 on my XE it only has to read the disk once - if I use it on an XL or my 400 it takes two passes to read the disk).

I don't even like the XE keyboard as much as I do the XL keyboard and I still use only my XE at this point.

An 800, because:

1) It's got the best keyboard on any home computer, period;

2) It fits in very well to any decorating scheme that incorporates "harvest", "avocado", or "umber";

3) It has that groovy right-cartridge slot;

4) You can't turn off that key click by adjusting volume controls on your

monitor;

5) That meagre amount of RAM can always be expanded with internal additions.

The Atari 800 is an impressive piece of hardware .. but you gotta check under the hood and see if there are three 16k memory modules installed. I would lose the RF cord and use with a monitor.

The Atari 800XL is better for transporting to the office .. for a little gameplay between customers.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

• 2 weeks later...

Clint-- the Translator disk will take care of the sound problems, more than likely. That sound issue used to drive me crazy (I remember the 5200 Gremlins and Mario Bros. having the problem), as well, until I accidentally booted the Translator one day before loading the game... and the sound was perfect!

The 800XL was the first computer I ever bought... got it used on 7/14/85, in box.. for like $110.. had the "official computer of the [whatever] Olympics 1984" sticker... ;) I think I still have that box somewhere, the 800XL is currently in hibernation under my bed!

My first and only 8-bit computer is an 800 and I love it!!! Ive seen the XL and its nice and all but...

SIZE DOES MATTER!! J/K

For me the big difference is in the K's

They sell for almost about the same

Cheers

An 800, because:

1) It's got the best keyboard on any home computer, period;

2) It fits in very well to any decorating scheme that incorporates "harvest", "avocado", or "umber";

3) It has that groovy right-cartridge slot;  

4) You can't turn off that key click by adjusting volume controls on your  

monitor;

5) That meagre amount of RAM can always be expanded with internal additions.

May I add:-

6) 4 player mule :D

• 3 weeks later...
i suggest an xegs. u can use a standard pc 15pin jstick xtension cable and have a nice extended detachable keyboard.

Godzilla: I had no idea such a cable existed. I've never seen anything like that pinout. I've always wanted to extend my XEGS keyboard cable (Jeez, why did they even bother making a detachable keyboard when the cable is that short!). Where can I get one, what is it called, RS part# or any info anyone can provide would be much appreciated!

As always,

Markimus of K.