IGNORED

SNES Broken Power Supply Port

I got a broken SNES off my friend. The round plastic piece that is inside the AC Adapter socket is broken off...which I hear is a common issue with SNES...so it works but if you move the power supply wire it will turn on and off since it's loose.

I thought there was a tutorial on here about removing the power socket completely and replacing it with a laptop power cable?

Or is there anyway to buy a new SNES power supply socket to solder onto the board to replace the broken one?

Thanks for your help! :)

That power plug is molded into the entire back piece, you'd have to replace it. You could take an easier way out by drilling out the broken hole, find a replacement jack that uses the same barrel size as original SNES, screw or glue it in place, and solder the tabs onto the board. I don't know where to get the replacement port though.

Broken SNES power port is a common problem. Short of getting a donor system that does not work but has that plastic piece in tact, I recommend directly soldering the SNES power adapter right into the back of the console.

So if I end up buying the entire back piece how would I go about replacing it? Does that piece just slide right off? My one friend said it's molded onto the power socket...sorta like the NES top loaders. I can't confirm cos I haven't opened it up yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the piece in the mail and yea you do have to de-solder the old piece but how the hell do you desolder it with the rf jack sticking out of it? I tried heating the solder and wiggling it out and its not going well.

Also with the rf jack sticking out how do I install the new one?

I saw this video which explains 0%:

Is there any detailed instructions on how to replace these things?

Would I have to desolder the RF jack?

Thanks!

NinjaWarrior: Wholesale accounts?

ALL: An update: I finally fixed it! :)

I got an install guide from here:

http://www.nintendorepairhut.com/selfrepairguides/downloadablerepairguide.html

I also DIDN'T HAVE TO DESOLDER THE RF SOCKET. You first desolder the two pins on the ac socket then wedge it out.

Even tho the part is slightly expensive, it's worth fixing.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this but I have the same problem and I was wondering if someone could do this repair service for me.

And additionally, can you add a barrel to it (Or whatever that thing is) to the power jack so that it doesn't fall off? I'm not sure if you can do that once the power jack's fixed.

I'll pay 15 or 20 dollars.

• 1 year later...