IGNORED

[BOUGHT] Atari 2600 NTSC, black (Darth Vader)

e5frog

I'm looking for an NTSC Atari 2600, preferably the black one (called Darth Vader, right?).

I only need the actual console, got everything else. It doesn't need to be an exhibit object, I'm going to use it for gaming. Dust, dirt, poor RF cable or other minor faults is not a problem (even if a perfect one is nice).

If you have one to spare, let me know.

Edited by e5frog

Hellboy_Bass: Could be an option of nothing else pops up.

Rick Weis: Seems that one has ended, I'd be willing to pay $15 for a working unit, could you check a cheap shipping alternative to Sweden? If it's difficult I have a friend in New York that helps out with these kinds of things. I mean I'll take it if you still got it.

Edited by e5frog

• 2 weeks later...

Got the one from Rick, seems to be some problems with it, it needed more than just a clean-up. On one TV I got no color and static instead of sound, on another I managed to get color but still no sound so I'm looking into it. I have one more TV that does NTSC but that's the one that's least forgiving so I don't have much hope about that. I'm leaning towards a composite mod if sound checks out OK.

Hellboy_Bass, yours might be interesting if I can't fix this one.

Got the one from Rick, seems to be some problems with it, it needed more than just a clean-up. On one TV I got no color and static instead of sound, on another I managed to get color but still no sound so I'm looking into it. I have one more TV that does NTSC but that's the one that's least forgiving so I don't have much hope about that. I'm leaning towards a composite mod if sound checks out OK.

Hellboy_Bass, yours might be interesting if I can't fix this one.

If you open it up, there's a potentiometer inside that controls sound, it should be sticking through the metal inner case and surrounded in red plastic. If you can stick a small screwdriver or something in there, you can turn it and possibly fix the sound. If not that, it might just be a broken connection somewhere on the board.

If all that fails, mine is still available and I think I can fix the reset switch as well. So let me know, thanks!

I tried adjusting that one, it's a coil around red plastic with a threaded ferrite core inside that has a hex cutout in the middle, I have proper tools (bought them for my arcade game) which is basically hex driver in plastic. I got no change in the sound at all. I wonder how many turns is within the acceptable range or if it's 1/100:th of a turn that needs to be hit for sound to come out. Usually you're able to turn such things 1-2 turns and still have the same result - and then you set it in the middle position.

I'll measure the sound directly from the IC and we'll see, a composite mod isn't a bad thing for this machine anyway if there's sound out but the RF fails.

I tried adjusting that one, it's a coil around red plastic with a threaded ferrite core inside that has a hex cutout in the middle, I have proper tools (bought them for my arcade game) which is basically hex driver in plastic. I got no change in the sound at all. I wonder how many turns is within the acceptable range or if it's 1/100:th of a turn that needs to be hit for sound to come out. Usually you're able to turn such things 1-2 turns and still have the same result - and then you set it in the middle position.

I'll measure the sound directly from the IC and we'll see, a composite mod isn't a bad thing for this machine anyway if there's sound out but the RF fails.

Sounds like you know more than I about 2600 repair, lol. Hopefully you can work it out, but if not, drop me a line.

I had sound from the TIA so there's something wrong in the RF department. I measured the sound carrier with the scope and set it exactly right but it still just threw static on me.

So, I'll just mod it and it will be fine.