IGNORED

Project Z - 4k - 8k demo - This is the beginning of the End

Fothlyrdrag

ive decided to add a demo of the 8k version, because the 4k version of this game is just that bad in my eyes..

Ive progressed so much that releasing the first level of the 8k version would be more suffice o.O as there both mildly similar.

id hate to let the cat out of the bag but the gamesize has quadrupled in the last week and ideas are flowing and code is adding up more and more with such ease.. and as the game progresses it becoming a finger burning workout :P. Ive hinted at the final boss a few times, but it really is a surprise how it came to be. Becoming the largest enemy and the most animated sprite or should i say sprites (hint hint) ive done.

My mind races with ideas for release, such as a friendly competition to win a free game!

Im also getting ready to have a simple contest for titlescreen design, the winner will be added to the credits and receive a copy of the game.

Things that are needed for completion

*Titlescreen* (or two)

BOX

and i need to finish up the final battle with the mystery boss of epicly epic proportion o.O

P.S. i have many band aids wrapping many fingers from testing this game!

wmjrbk.png

ProjectZ.bin

ProjectZ - Demo.bin

Edited by Fothlyrdrag
  • Like 1

thanks it means alot! ive been working on this all week and i coded all the sound by hand, my bb does not have the music editor :S the code is probably sloppy but it works

if anyone gets to the boss lemme know and ill upload it, its on a seperate file because i cant figure out how to put them both together

Edit: i Uploaded the boss fight just cause!

Only thing this game really needs is a Good Title screen but i cant get em to work ive played with em for hours and hours...

And it needs to be put together but i cant seem to do that ether ive been trying for days i gave up and put em on here for you to play

Id really love to get this into a Cartridge thats my dream

Edit again:: Also i have beat this game like 3 times o.O its hard

Edited by Fothlyrdrag

I haven't looked at your code but I don't think anyone has coupled two batari BASIC games that use separate kernels. I REALLY wish that was possible. I've searched and I can't find any examples where our assembly gurus have tied two separate binaries together.

That being said an experiment might look like this:

Create an 8k game that jumps to a label called main2 on bank2. Do one of your game modes on the first bank.

Create an 8k game that jumps to a label called main2 on bank 2 that has different kernel options. Do the 2nd game mode on bank 2.

Cut the last 4k from game #1.

Cut the first 4k from game #2.

Copy the 2 truncated files together and see if they run!

im pretty sure both parts use the same kernels and mostly the same code like movement and sprite movement ect.. aswell as missile0 ect...

i just cant figure out how to make them one .. every time i try it fails to compile or multiple screens appear... idk its tough..

i also want to make a detailed title screen but idk if it works with multisprite kernel and i cant get a test screen to work no matter what i try..

the main things wrong with my game

title screen

zimbies facing when there x is less then my x = ive tried refp1 ect.. dosnt work

and the two halfs becoming one :D

and then i want to make a cartridge, im currently building a 2600 protable so having my own handheld and game!! makes me feel warm thinking about it =D

I dont know what your talking about :P

reminds me of an R A Lafferty story

the two main characters notice some odd things

about a buisness in thier neighborhood and

question the secretary

'how do you type the contracts when

you don't have a typewriter'

'I make the marks with my tongue'

'well, what about the carbon copy'

'oh, I make them with my other tongue'

(I know, it's dated. try a museum if you

want to know what a typewriter is)

. b

: p

Edited by bogax

If anyone can put the two of these files together to make one id love you forever :D im just to inexperienced with this stuff

When is the boss fight supposed to start? What is supposed to happen when you beat the boss? You can't stick one program into another without knowing when things are supposed to happen.

I haven't looked at your code but I don't think anyone has coupled two batari BASIC games that use separate kernels. I REALLY wish that was possible. I've searched and I can't find any examples where our assembly gurus have tied two separate binaries together.

That being said an experiment might look like this:

Create an 8k game that jumps to a label called main2 on bank2. Do one of your game modes on the first bank.

Create an 8k game that jumps to a label called main2 on bank 2 that has different kernel options. Do the 2nd game mode on bank 2.

Cut the last 4k from game #1.

Cut the first 4k from game #2.

Copy the 2 truncated files together and see if they run!

Talk to RevEng. He's been helping me make a compilation of 4k games. It basically works as you say--just copy-pasting binaries together.

when you kill enough zombies they go into a frenzy and if you can survive that then the boss screen comes up and plays dramatic music then the boss fight is supposed to begin, after hitting the boss enough he goes into a frenzy and gets right ontop of you, if your lucky enough to kill him it goes to a victory screen!

Its finished ive removed the old attachments and added the new one and the code

its a pretty fun game but i dont know if its to easy/hard?

and i cant get the zombies to face me when there to the left.. the boss shouldn't turn around though

Thanks for the help everyone! hope to get the little things fixed and get this into a cartridge!

I think there is 100 bytes left :P

Edited by Fothlyrdrag

This is quite good. Only things I'd like to see improvements on is zombies facing the right way, the boss facing you when you go behind him and a walking animation for the player. And, I'd like it if the difficulty was bumped up a notch. I beat this in about 3 minutes or so =)

Edited by Rabbit 2600
  • Like 1

To Fothly, having the zombies/skeleton face the other way is very simple. Use REFP0.

Or, in the special case of the Multisprite kernel:

Also, although the multisprite kernel doesn't have special variables for REFPx, you can set the reflection bit for each individual sprite by using bit 3 of _NUSIZ1 or NUSIZ2-NUSIZ5, as this bit is unused by the TIA register NUSIZx.

This is quite good. Only things I'd like to see improvements on is zombies facing the right way, the boss facing you when you go behind him and a walking animation for the player. And, I'd like it if the difficulty was bumped up a notch. I beat this in about 3 minutes or so =)

To Fothly, having the zombies/skeleton face the other way is very simple. Use REFP0.

Or, in the special case of the Multisprite kernel:

I like these ideas, i can make it more difficult with ease, buy theres only 100 BYTES of space left so refacing zombies would be about it unless,

Does making variables like blah=player0x and blah=player2x ect.. reduce the code? giving me more room? like i said i haven't been doing this long so im unsure.

ive tried REFP1 but i did not know about a special case with Multisprite ill def, look into it and see what i can do thanks!!!

EDITE:: i dont understand this!!

Also, although the multisprite kernel doesn't have special variables for REFPx, you can set the reflection bit for each individual sprite by using bit 3 of _NUSIZ1 or NUSIZ2-NUSIZ5, as this bit is unused by the TIA register NUSIZx.

maybe ill run some tests with it idk.

Edited by Fothlyrdrag

I like these ideas, i can make it more difficult with ease, buy theres only 100 BYTES of space left

there's a number of simple tweaks you

could make to reduce code and speed things

up

for one thing you could get rid of redundant

if statemnts

if you test a thing to do something don't

test it again, do them all at once.

here's one small example

jump2
if p<90 goto jump3
if collision(missile0,player1) then score=score+150 : p=p+1 : d=d+1 : AUDV0=4 : AUDC0=3 : AUDF0=16
if d=0 then COLUP4=14
if d=1 then COLUP4=64
if d=0 then COLUP5=14
if d=1 then COLUP5=64
if d>2 then d=0

becomes

jump2
if p<90 goto jump3
if collision(missile0,player1) then score=score+150 : p=p+1 : d=d+1 : AUDV0=4 : AUDC0=3 : AUDF0=16
if d=0 then COLUP4=14 : COLUP5=14
if d=1 then COLUP4=64 : COLUP5=64 
if d>2 then d=0

if you have assignments that assign the same value

you can save code by putting them consecutively on

the same line

x=160
y=60
COLUBK=242
COLUPF=2
COLUP0=10
_COLUP1=208
COLUP2=208
COLUP3=208
COLUP4=208
COLUP5=208
player0x=20 : player0y=50
player1x=150 : player1y=10
if p>90 then player1y=255 : player2y=255 : player3y=255 : player4x=x-8 : player4y=y : player5x=x : player5y=y

becomes

(notice I changed the order of the

assignments in the if statment slightly)

x=160
y=60
COLUBK=242
COLUPF=2
COLUP0=10
_COLUP1=208 : COLUP2=208 : COLUP3=208 : COLUP4=208 : COLUP5=208
player0x=20 : player0y=50
player1x=150 : player1y=10
if p>90 then player1y=255 : player2y=255 : player3y=255 : player4x=x-8 : player4y=y : player5y=y : player5x=x

there's other stuff you could do

with tables and on-gotos but that's

more complicated

Well ive made some huge leaps in my code,

All the zombies face the right way idapendantly, aswell as THE BOSS!!

ive managed to get it compressed down alot,

also its not gonna be so easy to beat!! haha it just got real!

shooting zombies is pretty easy! but can you do it in the dark!?!

ive test played this game like 30 times and ive only been able to get lucky enough to beat it 2 times!

i was gonna make it easier by giving extra live but then i thought haha nope!

Tell me what you think now!

-More to come-

player0 sprite change / animation

demo cart! whoo!

I really liked level 2, it made a great job of keeping me on my toes, the difficulty is just right. I made it to the boss and he was pretty tough this time around =)

A feature I'd like to see is the player turning grey when in the darkness/mist.

the multisprite kernel does not allow it, i did however find that changing Scorecolor also changes the player0 color, but i wanted the score to be visable while in the dark, everything was black but you couldn't see the score, Ive also tried to change scorebackground but it didnt work ether :S

if anyone knows how to change scorebackground or scorecolor or player0 color in Multisprite kernel lmk!