IGNORED

Which games would you have pictured on the Jaguar and why?

Gamer888

For instance, I would have pictured Lemmings mostly for the keypad...since one can find around 6-7 attributs if not more not to mention the "nuke them all" option (hello Cold War)...the jaguar controller would have been awsome!

For some reason, Earthworm Jim would have been cool too.

• Like 1

Quake 3 - based on the Supercross 3D framerate it could easily have handled this.

Definitely. I mean, all it'd practically take is some minor retooling of Supercross 3D, and voila! High performance Quake 3 engine. Wouldn't even have to redraw the graphics if they'd released it as Quake 3: Motocross Mayhem.

In all seriousness, I think the Jag would have been a good fit for first-person dungeon crawler RPGs, any of the D&D/AD&D stuff like Eye of the Beholder with sprawling mazes, grid-based movement and awesome monsters. The keypad would potentially make for much easier party management by reducing the need for d-pad cursor control and, in the right hands, the Jag could have made possible some nicely beefed up graphics, offering a mix of 3D dungeons and high-colour sprites.

• Like 4

*TMNT: The Arcade Game- Really would've been a cool game to show off arcade perfect translation on the Jaguar, plus make use of the team tap and put a high profile game on the Jaguar.

Clayfighter and Battletoads would've also been solid games.

I wish NBA Jam TE would've been an arcade perfect translation too, im sure it was possible and they were so close :( still a good port.

• Like 1

I like the TMNT idea. Simpsons too if you're into them.

Anything along the lines of Paperboy, STUN Runner and Hard Drivin' would have worked well. Really too bad the Jaguar wasn't exploited in these ways early on since that was their M.O. through each console release (close to arcade translations). But I'm sure some would argue that 3D was what people really "wanted". Nice to showcase a 3D game or two... but to focus too much on that particular design on an underpowered system vs. doing what you know could be done well, well... guess it's all just a matter of hindsight at this point.

I know I'll have the minority opinion here, but was really, REALLY looking forward to a Baseball game on the Jag. HUGE disappointment that never came to fruition, especially since it was slated to be.

If you're talking about just taking advantage of the keypad, tons of games could have done that, but then again - why not release a proper 6-button pad in the first place and program games around that? Can't say Total Carnage is all that much fun using the keypad for the directions. Maybe I just need more practice. :lol:

• Like 3

I am currently playing NBA JAM TE and although the game is great despite flaws in the gameplay..a cheap opponenents..it is not arcade perfect and a slighty more work would have been possible. Many great 2d arcade games could have been ported such as TMNT or Cadillac and DInausors but since the trend was 3d, there was no way it could have been possible.....marketing is sometimes stronger than passion!

Virtua Fighter & Tomb Raider. Possibly 3D the Jaguar could handle.

Well, there is a pic or two on the net of Jaguar Tomb Raider, fully textured, looking a lot like the Saturn version in textures. Of course they don't show frame-rate which could have been 1fps for all we know. Obviously VF could have easily been done, if nothing else, FFL shows this; take away the textures like VF and it would drastically inscrease frame rate which can be seen in FFL if you choose two non-textured characters (like Kamira and Jr.). The beta of FFL is more VF like too.

But I have to agree with those that say 3D was what people wanted at the time, When the Jag first came out and I got one myself, besides Raiden, 2D games were the last things I wanted. I had my youth and young adult life playing 2D games and some primitive 3D, and had dreamed of the day that the 3D wasn't so primitive, and the new 32 and 64bit systems were the first to accomplish it for me. I wanted everything 3D (or psuedo 3D like Doom/AvP) and stayed far away from Jag 2D games, for the most part, until I had the vast majority of 3D stuff and the Jag was long dead. Then i finally started returning to 2D stuff. I wouldn't have bought anything 2D in '94-'96 and I think I'm in the majority there...I remember going to Electronics Boutique, looking for the next big 3D Jag game, and though I only had a few games at the time, turning my nose up at the new titles they did get in, like Power Drive Rally and Ultra Vortek, and walking away with money in hand when there wasn't new 3D games in stock. I remember the cashier being excited to see me the day I went in and he had news of new 3D Jag games for me, which were MC3D and Supercross 3D and I-war. After months leaving empty-handed I left with 3 new 3D games that day, two of them actually good.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Commanche: Maximum Overkill feels like it would've been the perfect "wow" game to launch the Jag with. A detailed looking 3D game that played to the system's strengths and ran smoothly would probably have sold a lot of early adopters on the system.

Something with fluidly animated prerendered graphics and a ton of parallax scrolling wouldn't have hurt either. Crescent Galaxy was going to be this, but Atari was being stupid and rushed it.

To take advantage of the keypad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YafgAcmov4

I bet no one has brought that one out before :grin:

This inspired me, I think the Jaguar would have been good then and good now to have a flashed boot rom that would come up with some VERY basic games (like hangman, Tetris, and a checker/chess board with no AI) and basic utilities including a calculator. Probably a clock, a stop watch.

Better boot up music too that sounds more like "Have you played Atari today". I mean common... the Jaguar could manage great sounds and yet couldn't do the simple tune from the commercials? My Atari 800 could have easily done a better job... I think I even wrote a basic program that did it.

Oh, and for kicks the Jaguar should have had built in basic so that with the keypads as the keyboard you could write "Atari Rulez!!!" x 10 million. Build in support so you can save basic programs to the memory cart if it is plugged in. (Sucks if you wrote the program on the Jaguar if you booted up without it.)

Edited by doctorclu

As for actual games, I think the Jaguar could have handled anything that was on a intel 286/386 or before.

Was always surprised Duke Nuk'em was not ported. I mean REALLY surprised. That game was everywhere back then. Descent as well. Doom 2 should have been ported back in the day. They had the Doom engine, just start kicking out official cartridges with official wads. Would have made a killing.

And more arcade ports, but like I said, anything pre-286/386 I think the Jaguar could do.

I will add since no one else will say it, the Jaguar could have easily done the ports of the other Bubsy games, including Bubsy 3D.
  • Like 1