IGNORED

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available

Subby

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available for your podcast listening pleasure.

Episode one of the new ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is available for download either through iTunes or from Libsyn here: http://www.AtariPodcast.com/RSS and we are on Twitter @AtariPodcast

In episode one we introduced ourselves, then we covered the "dump dig", Curt & Marty's book, the Rapidus accel board and other news bits. Our indepth section this month was a quick history of the Atari 8bit computers. I got a bit nervous so it is a tad "jagged". I'll have it down after a couple dozen episodes. :)

The three of us are intending covering lots of different topics, from 8bit news to technical sections on the deep dark details.

It will be just under an hour once per month. We feel this will give us time to prepare interesting subjects that we can go into more depth with. And like everything it will grow and change as time goes on.

So let us know what you think, and what you want to hear about.

Give it a listen!

S

• Like 2

I'm listening to it right now, it seems very good, I've always wanted an Atari 8-bit specific podcast and now we have one!

It will be interesting to see what the download figures are like, so that the size of the community can be estimated. They won't be that large I (my last words) *suspect*.

With what I believe to be such a small community, we should all try to contribute in some way or another, however we can.

My input will be some suggestions for future discussions:

- Reviews of some of the good cross-development tools (RastaConverter/g2f/MADS etc).

- Back in the day: What was it like being an Atari owner in your country/community? The effect on Poland/Eastern Europe will be a very interesting story... perhaps there could be a specific section for this with full on conversations from different places each month.

- Perhaps some beginners assembly language programming tutorials? This will need to be backed up with some web material.

With what I believe to be such a small community, we should all try to contribute in some way or another, however we can.

My input will be some suggestions for future discussions:

- Reviews of some of the good cross-development tools (RastaConverter/g2f/MADS etc).

- Back in the day: What was it like being an Atari owner in your country/community? The effect on Poland/Eastern Europe will be a very interesting story... perhaps there could be a specific section for this with full on conversations from different places each month.

- Perhaps some beginners assembly language programming tutorials? This will need to be backed up with some web material.

I like the Europe angle, we'll have to do that.

And we discussed doing tutorial kind of thing, but it might be a while before we get there.

Hey guys I enjoyed the podcast a lot! Very well done. Listened to it twice! Some feedback:

1. It ends abruptly in mid-sentence. I thought there was something wrong with my podcast app, but i just tried the file from my PC and it's also cut off. It was probably seconds away from the ned (last words are "and give Antic some...". Maybe it's just the RSS syndication (I have not tried the iTunes version as I have no Apple devices)

2. The main speaker's Microphone is a bit muffled and echoey sounding (the others are generally better) at the beginning of the podcast. It was acceptable, but could be improved I think...

3. One thing I really like ina podcast is a "news" segment at or near the beginning of the show. You can use Reddit or something like that to collect news (your listeners may send stuff in). Might be harder to do on an obsolete platform where there just isn't that much news, but there are some things out there (and the odd bit of new hardware from Eastern Europe).

Love the podcast. I especially enjoyed hearing Kevin Savetz. I read his book, Terrible Nerd, shortly after he released it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I enjoyed the variety of topics you covered.

Some suggestions for future shows:

Keep it loose. Don't try to build a strict format and stick to it. For example, if you have some Atari news, great, include it. But don't force yourself to do news every show because you'll end up settling for less than compelling material.

Include old and new topics. For example, you could talk about SIO2PC devices and programs for a bit, but also maybe talk about the history of one of the consoles or a popular game (or game publisher, such as Infocom!).

• 4 weeks later...

Episode 2 is now available at your favorite podcast outlets.

As long as your favorite podcast outlet is either iTunes or the link in my sig. :)

Much better episode if I do say so myself. At least this time I didn't get too nervous and read too much.

And yes, I am saving my pennies for a real microphone so I can get rid of the headset. It's a good headset, but it's still a headset, and this time too close to my mouth. <sigh>

Episode 2 is now available at your favorite podcast outlets.

I was beginning to wonder if the feed I have on my Android device was messed up and search again, but it popped up in my podcast app this morning when I refreshed it :)

I really enjoyed the first one and can't wait to listen to the second. There are lots of good video game podcasts I listen to (You Don't Know Flack, No Quarter, Atari 2600 Game by Game), but I love the Atari 8BIT Line more than anything else, so the effort to produce a podcast covering it is very much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode 3 is up at www.AtariPodcast.com or on iTunes. In it, I interview the founder and publisher of Antic magazine. Lots of other good stuff too.

Listening to James Capparel talk about the magazine was kind of sad. He really seemed full of regret about many things and focused quite a bit on his personal failings.

I for one remember Antic, STart and even Mac Home Journal fondly. Hopefully he realizes there is more to success than money.

That was a dynamite interview with Capparell. To me it seemed more wistful than somber. I'm not sure that's regret we're hearing or simply a deep nostalgia for that wonderful time (which I share). His quote about those Atari days is spot on: "a time that's only yesterday, but long gone -- never be repeated."

By the way, my ears lit up when Kevin mentioned Infocom. Interactive fiction was a huge part of my early computing experience. As a matter of fact, one of the first times I ever touched a computer was a terminal at a General Electric plant during a family tour day, and it was running Colossal Caves. I was hooked immediately. I'd love to hear you all discuss Infocom and IF more on the show someday.

Keep up the great work!

(For some reason I'm unable to edit my post above or I would have added that comment to it.)

Edited by WestofHouse