IGNORED

Quick look at 1983 Video Game vendor ads

Vectrex for $149.95 looks appealing for sure.

Even CIB Systems aren't much more expensive than that these days. I have seen 4.99 sale stickers on games like Star Castle, Polar Rescue and Pole Position which all sell for 100+ these days. I'd take that deal.

Remember that 149$ from 1983 doesn't equal 149$ from 2013.

This graph shows the prices at launch, ajusted according to inflation (as in, how much financial effort/working time would you need to spend to get one now ) :

console-prices-adjusted.png

The launch price for the Vextrex here was 200$, but even if you cut 25% off, that's still a whopping 360 (actual 2013) $ you have to pull out of your pocket, NOT 150 actual us$ ;)

• Like 1

post-14051-0-78090900-1372109697_thumb.jpg

1980 UK Tandy Catalogue!!

post-14051-0-67808100-1372109751_thumb.jpg

Atari stuff circa 1984.

post-14051-0-49698600-1372109791_thumb.jpg

post-14051-0-33617700-1372109822_thumb.jpg

More marketing hype. That 1980 Tandy catalog advertises the 2600 Jr. as having 'advanced controllers for precision gameplay'. It shows the proline sticks which were a downgrade from the CX-40 sticks. I wonder how many got suckered in on that one?

More marketing hype. That 1980 Tandy catalog advertises the 2600 Jr. as having 'advanced controllers for precision gameplay'. It shows the proline sticks which were a downgrade from the CX-40 sticks. I wonder how many got suckered in on that one?

I don't think the Jr. was available in 1980. ;)

The prices in that TRS-80 ad are completely insane. Looking at the ones in the original post for games here in the US refreshes my memory on why I never had that many games back then. $20 - $30 a game was a hell of a lot to e back then. I remember paying an awful amount for Zaxxon for the CV, around $45 or $50. Had to save up for that one. I distinctly recall my father telling me I was insane for "wasting that much money".

I remember TRS-80 and Apple II prices being so high that they seemed completely unobtainable.

Yes, I certainly remember that being the case while looking at ads for the Apple ][. Over two grand to get a complete system. Unless you were quite wealthy, which I wasn't nor am now for that matter, there wasn't a remote chance of getting one. Of coarse now I have several. :D It really helps when the rest of the word doesn't want them anymore.