IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

I got slightly different results with Dimension X on the MCC.

Title Screen Blank on LCD VGA, and screen Rolls on CRT SVideo. I tried both NTSC and PAL. After I press fire to start the game the screen looks fine.

Tried on DE1 RGB and the title screen rolls for PAL and NTSC.

Thanks

Re artifacting: I've not thought about it. All those games were broken for PAL anyway. Do you get any if you put it through an RGB to composite adaptor? I guess so but the wrong colours?

Hmm, I don't think I have anything to accomplish that with though it probably would be wrong I'm thinking. I know given the nature of the FPGA implementation that artifacting would probably not be trivial (if even possible), but don't know how feasible it might be as a 'post processing' option like scan doubling.

Of course I noticed right away as some of my favorite games of all time rely on artifacting (Autoduel, Choplifter, Ogre, Ultima, etc.) :)

Even Star Fleet for some reason doesn't appear to display properly. The bottom half of the screen is definitely a GR8 mode so I didn't expect for instance the aliens to be red there, but it seems that even the text labels like QUAD ,POWR, SHLD, etc. aren't displayed.

Quick question - just doing some research on the Chameleon. The FPGA pins file shows a real USART (TX/RX/CTS/RTS), however I can't see it on the board. Do these just go to headers as 3.3V raw FPGA connections?

Hi foft, I don’t know the technical details of the Chameleon, I am just an enthusiastic user :-) and a 8-Bit computers fan.
I will ask this question on the Chameleon’s Yahoo mailing list, but it would be great if you could subscribe to the list, there you will get prompt answers from the Chameleon developers (Peter Wendrich, Jens Schönfeld and Tobias Korbmacher), this is first class support!
We are almost ready with the donations commitments, so I am very confident we will get a Chameleon + docking station for you.
I hope you subscribe to the Yahoo mailing list!
Best regards, Juan
Edited by jugac64

Busy here!

@remowilliams: I'll treat lack of artifacting as a bug and add an optional filter in hardware. I'll take a look at Star Fleet as well, the text should work as is.

@jugac64: Thank for asking about the USART. I'll join the list and thanks the others helping out with a board:)

@NML32: Thanks for trying DimensionX. Sounds like it breaks the sync, which is normally the highres last line bug. I have something wrong there, which is also why memo pad 480i is a bit wrong!

• Like 1

Hi foft, maybe you already read Peter’s answer on the TC64 mailing list, but just in case here it is, best regards! Juan

Hoi,

These lines are for communicating with the USB micro-controller. They are used to retrieve which flash-slot was used for startup. Support memory read/write over USB. And can be used to reconfigure the FPGA from a different slot on command.

The following links might be useful. The first is the core developers manual containing some info about the serial communication protocol. The second file offers some VHDL files assisting porting designs. The file chameleon_usb.vhd implements the FPGA side of this serial interface.

L8r,

Peter

• Like 1

@remowilliams: I'll treat lack of artifacting as a bug and add an optional filter in hardware. I'll take a look at Star Fleet as well, the text should work as is.

Scratch the Star Fleet text display issue, apparently something happened to the images. Using copies from backup the text is displaying as it should.

Hi foft.

you have released a new version on last Tuesday (http://www.scrameta.net/autobuild/20140624/) and some new comments in the instructions.txt:
MIST: Without keyboard its possible to use it! If you can remember these...
MIST: mist button0=F11, mist button0+fire=F12, mist button0+stick=reboot
MIST: mist button1=option, mist button1+fire=start, mist button1+stick=select

I assume this is a special update for the mist board only ?

Have found also this comment at http://arcaderetrogaming.com/shop/page/3

-----------------

ArcadeRetroGaming (ARG) implementation is based on the excellent work out of the retro gaming community from Mark Watson [5] together with additional modifications and enhancements.

Mark many thanks for supporting the Multiple Classic Computer with a great new classic computer !

The ATARI 800 XL Core the MCC includes the following features and enhancements:

· Support for PAL and NTSC

· Drive Emulation with 4 virtual disc slots and one ROM slot

· Disk Read and Write support

· System configuration allows to change clock, RAM, ROM, Drives and Cartridges

------------------

The *.arg binaries looks different from yours.

Have they really enhanced your version as stated or is this just a 1:1 copy of your work ?

Frank

All builds are done together now, so if there are core changes they get rolled out to all boards - in that auto build folder. I need to get a decent mechanism for high level notes on what changed though. Some will be relevant to all boards, some only to some.

20140624 changes:

MIST: swapped joysticks

MIST: start/select/option possible via buttons on front (2 buttons, so used in tandem with the joystick)

COMMON: drive emulation now supports >32768 sectors. So 16 MB ATR images work.

20140629 changes:

SD DIRECT (MCC216/DE1): Supports large SD cards. I tested with a 1GB,2GB,4GB and 32GB on the DE1 and they all worked fine. NB the card must support 512 byte sector accesses (most do).gh. Mist is still limited to 8GB for now.

DE1: Re-connected SIO to serial port (this was dropped in the merge).

MCC216: Version number of .arg based on the date, to distinguish versions.

The MCC216 team worked with me to help me port it to their platform. They provided some of the ip included, such as SDRAM controller, svideo encoder, audio dac. I wrote the glue to connect these up, build and did initial testing of the core. There is a note on who has copyright on which component in the svn, though I need to update/verify it.

The releases on the MCC216 will be infrequent 'stable' updates. The ones on my website are untested auto builds. Mine will be more current, though YMMV.

• Like 2

@foft thanks for the updates!!

Is it me or does the volume need to be increased a bit? Seems a bit low on the MCC-216 and Mist I don't know about the other systems.

foft, could a volume setting be added to the system menu (F12)? Never mind, I just realized as I was typing this probably wouldn't make much sense if we can't save our settings.

@foft thanks for the updates!!

Is it me or does the volume need to be increased a bit? Seems a bit low on the MCC-216 and Mist I don't know about the other systems.

foft, could a volume setting be added to the system menu (F12)? Never mind, I just realized as I was typing this probably wouldn't make much sense if we can't save our settings.

Yeah forgot about that. I decreased it when I added covox until I had a chance to rework the mixer. I just did that now...

Time to sleep now, but I've told my computer to deploy it in an hour when the build finishes - so it might get released:-)

No new releases for a couple of weeks after this. Then a couple of ports: SOCkit and Turbo Chameleon. + a million things on the todo list!

Edited by foft
  • Like 4

foft, thanks for the increase in volume.

+ a million things on the todo list!

DE1 break out board? :)

Take care and thanks for all the updates you have been and are working on!!

Edited by NML32

All builds are done together now, so if there are core changes they get rolled out to all boards - in that auto build folder. I need to get a decent mechanism for high level notes on what changed though. Some will be relevant to all boards, some only to some.

20140624 changes:

MIST: swapped joysticks

MIST: start/select/option possible via buttons on front (2 buttons, so used in tandem with the joystick)

COMMON: drive emulation now supports >32768 sectors. So 16 MB ATR images work.

20140629 changes:

SD DIRECT (MCC216/DE1): Supports large SD cards. I tested with a 1GB,2GB,4GB and 32GB on the DE1 and they all worked fine. NB the card must support 512 byte sector accesses (most do).gh. Mist is still limited to 8GB for now.

DE1: Re-connected SIO to serial port (this was dropped in the merge).

MCC216: Version number of .arg based on the date, to distinguish versions.

The MCC216 team worked with me to help me port it to their platform. They provided some of the ip included, such as SDRAM controller, svideo encoder, audio dac. I wrote the glue to connect these up, build and did initial testing of the core. There is a note on who has copyright on which component in the svn, though I need to update/verify it.

The releases on the MCC216 will be infrequent 'stable' updates. The ones on my website are untested auto builds. Mine will be more current, though YMMV.

I don't normally follow 8bit Atari forum, but I just visited the MCC website and found the Atari 800 core for the Mcc-216. I will tell you that it works great so far. I like it very much.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so cool. I just got my Mist hardware and, after playing around a bit trying to get the right combination of firmware and atari800 core, finally got things working.

Thanks so much for making this a reality!!

Hi, I just want to comment that the Turbo Chameleon 64 version of the a8 core has been released and it is included on the nightly build’s directory:

It has been included also on the official Chameleon’s Wiki:

Thank you very much Mark! When I was young... a long time ago, most of my friends have Atari 8-bit, and I had a C64, so I played a lot of Atari games with them. It is great to have my own now :-)

Edit: links were hard to include :)

Edited by jugac64
  • Like 3