IGNORED

Tropical Trouble (Normal scoring mechanism - READ ONLY)

Scores will be accepted until Sunday, July 7th, at Noon Central.

NOTE: Level selection is up to the player. FOR THIS GAME ONLY, A FULL SCREEN PICTURE IS REQUIRED. PICTURES NOT SHOWING SCORE and LEVELS COMPLETED WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED... As always Obvious Point Leeching IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE HSC and will result in score being zeroed

Current Score Update for game "Tropical Trouble" - Updated as of 11:46pm 7/1 Post #23

1. Oscar G. - 7,550
  2. felson42 - 5,550
  3. INTVDude - 4,300
  4. jblenkle - 950
  5. Liduario - 850

HSC Score table -- Thru 3 games

1. Ignorama - 29
  2. Oscar G. - 22
  3. cparsley - 18
  4. WispFollower - 15
  5. felson42 - 13
  6. INTVDude - 10
  7. JacobZu7 - 7
  8. jblenkle - 4 (tied)
  9. Liduario - 4 (tied)
  10. darthkur - 3 (tied*)
  11. RoadRunner - 3 (tied*)
  12. mr_intv - 3 (tied*)

Edited by cparsley

Serious: The score system of this game is not suitable for a Highscore Contest! The victory in this game is not a question of skill, its just a question of patience.

I played only once but it wasn't so easy... Maybe it's hard with a keyboard or you're really, really good on this one.

I need to play more.

@ Liduario

I am quite good at this game, I played 6 full runs for my score and it becomes damn hard in that stages, BUT this tells nothing about my score.

You surely recognized that you get to the next screen if you reach the legs of the woman, so if you dont reach the legs, the level goes on and on and on and on. Maybe you also recognized, that the woman throws handkerchiefs. Every handkerchief gives you 50 points and you become invincible for a short time (your color turns red). If you hit a coconut while you are red, you get another 50 points.

The number of handkerchiefs is unlimited, so you can get infinite points just on the 1st screen of the game. I played this screen for 30-45 minutes and got 13.000 points just on the first screen, there you need NO skill, I would say its impossible to die if your controller works. So my score with "real" gameplay was something about 7.000 - quite good for sure, but this is a HIGHSCORE challenge.

To tell the truth, I would like to change the rules for this special game, because the highscore tells nothing about your skill. If you play just the first screen long enough, you can get a million points. Do you see the green symbols under Dudes score? These symbols show how often you beat the game and if you ask me, this number shows your skill, not the score itself. Here another picture of my score, which fortunately shows the number of runs:

post-35236-0-46620200-1372374119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 2

@ Liduario

I am quite good at this game, I played 6 full runs for my score and it becomes damn hard in that stages, BUT this tells nothing about my score.

You surely recognized that you get to the next screen if you reach the legs of the woman, so if you dont reach the legs, the level goes on and on and on and on. Maybe you also recognized, that the woman throws handkerchiefs. Every handkerchief gives you 50 points and you become invincible for a short time (your color turns red). If you hit a coconut while you are red, you get another 50 points.

The number of handkerchiefs is unlimited, so you can get infinite points just on the 1st screen of the game. I played this screen for 30-45 minutes and got 13.000 points just on the first screen, there you need NO skill, I would say its impossible to die if your controller works. So my score with "real" gameplay was something about 7.000 - quite good for sure, but this is a HIGHSCORE challenge.

To tell the truth, I would like to change the rules for this special game, because the highscore tells nothing about your skill. If you play just the first screen long enough, you can get a million points. Do you see the green symbols under Dudes score? These symbols show how often you beat the game and if you ask me, this number shows your skill, not the score itself. Here another picture of my score, which fortunately shows the number of runs:

I have just played Tropical Trouble for the first time.

I totally agree with you Ignorama. I think we should also go for the symbols showing how often you beat the game and thus your skill in the game, and forbid any kind of harvesting, as harvesting goes against the spirit/rules of the High Score Competition :)

What is your opinion Cparsley?

@ Oscar

Well, I harvested a bit, like you see at my score :lol: But I also got 6 Symbols, you can see it if you enlarge the 2nd pic. The problem with forbidding harvesting: Who will controll it and what is it exacly? If you are damn good at this game, you may dont get one single coconut til level 6.

I would completely ignore the points, because you can see how often the complete game was beaten AND you can see in which stage the player ended. So if two players are completely equal (I dont expect result), they should share the place and get the same points.

But I hope you guys accept my score (respectively my progress) ;)

So 6 Times beaten and Lavastage.

Edit: By the way, if I understand the game you dont get an advantage with harvesting, because you dont get extra lifes for points, you get them for beating the game.

Edited by Ignorama

Hello guys,

This is my first score in this game:

Oscar G. - 7,550 points

I finished the game 6 times (without point harvesting).

Cheers!

PS I find quite funny that each stage starts with your butt being kicked :)

post-34781-0-41591400-1372629192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oscar G.

By the way Ignorama, I totally agree with you: perhaps it is advancement what should define performance in this game.

Luckily we have the final screen displaying the number of times that the game has been beaten and the advancement in the respective island.

I would love to hear cParsley's and other players' thoughts on this issue.

Cheers!

I'm with Ignorama and Oscar.

In this particular game it's better to compare how far we can go, not the score, even kowing there's a rule in all HSCs which forbids point scamming, i. e., you can't stop in one level gathering infinite points while avoiding to pass that level.

I found the Intellivision rule:

(...)

- Excessive Point Leeching is not allowed (aka camping forever to nail something instead of advancing in a game to a higher level)

(...)

I wont attack you, but this is camping too in my opinion. Just 4 runs and more points than Oscar, who managed six full runs.

@ cparsley

I am sorry for complaining again, but please use the advancement as score, not the score itself. It makes no sense to look at the points in this games.