IGNORED

Good homebrew games on the ST/STE?

I was wondering what homebrew or PD games people liked on the ST? I'm not very knowledgeable about them as that scene really came later into the machine's lifecycle than the 1985-89 sort of period I was using an ST so don't really know many.

I might record them and do series of gameplay videos of the ones I like and up them onto youtube.

Biohazard (a bit like Captive), Walls of Illusion (Dungeon Master), From Little Acorns (text and graphic adventure), Nishiran (not sure if I've spelt that correctly or the best way to describe it), Paths of Glory (massive rip off of Legend), Dark Wars (Dungeon Master, with ropey graphics but good game play), Going Down with the Captain (ahem, a GFA platformer), Red Alert (sort of missile command), Entombed (like Rick Dangerous), Spectral Sorcery (wizard game) and Risky (a monochrome version of risk) were games I played quite a bit. Oh and that version of Chaos with the hilarious samples. Most of them are adventures, as I was never into platform games that much. I'm sure there were lots more.. Llamatron and Grandad being some of course..

I love Berzerk! So simple, yet so addictive - that digitized voice echo's around my poor head

for hours after I play it.

"Ge the Humanoid! Get the Chicken!"

Dave Munsie had a knack for gameplay, seemed to always get it just right...

Those are great games. I've found them all but not the Space Invaders. The download links at that site are broken and it looks like the Hang Loose archive is off line again.

Hang loose archive is working right now as I type this but couldn't find that game either under the ST Invaders folder or Invaders folder however.

Thanks for the suggestions to everyone :)

Started playing a few, this one caught my eye enough to make a video and upload to youtube because it is a lot like a port of an Atari 8 bit game. I like Galaxian by Atarisoft for the 400/800 etc and Galaxia by Budgie UK is a PD game that is a very good copy of that version of the game rather than the arcade so thought I'd let you all know. Plays really well too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB_8kobas5k

Will do a few more soon (as well as some full price games too), this was really just a test to make sure Camtasia on this machine could handle recording the audio and video from STEEM in realtime :)

• 2 years later...

I thought all games for the ST were free homebrew? Except, I think they called themselves crackers rather than developers back then.

I thought they were just called PD/Shareware/Freeware/Donationware. Did I miss any wares? Oh yeah, experationware. :)

Edited by Zap!