IGNORED

IDE card tentative commitment page

marc.hull

James uses the PCBexpress layout software and that pretty much locks you into that company. They do a good job of it and are competitive.

If you make a least one order with them, you can then pay them $60 or so for the Gerber files.

I would like to pay for my commitment sooner rather than later. Are we at the point of being ready to accept payments?

If you would like to send a check made out to cash for six figures then I am not going to stop you but I don't think it would be wise. There is still a lot of leg work to do before this is a done deal.

If you would like to send a check made out to cash for six figures then I am not going to stop you but I don't think it would be wise. There is still a lot of leg work to do before this is a done deal.

Nah, I can do that... will be fun watching someone try to cash that f-er :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been picking away at it between other projects, but there isn't enough progress on it yet to say when I'll be ready to test the layout.

I spent most of today carving a set of jigs out of wood and FR4 so that I could do another set of cartridge case molds--this time using the ROMOX case as my template. It allows me to insert a somewhat larger board--which makes it a whole lot easier to replicate the Wiesbaden Supermodul II GRAM cartridge. This case also has a nice set of snap closures that I've been able to fully maintain using the set of jigs I made today. I've been in contact with the original designer of the Supermodul II (Sven Dyroff), who has given permission to use his materials under the Creative Commons 3.0 Licensing rules. I've also been troubleshooting the issues with the 512K Über-GROM board. It has been a busy holiday for me--and much fun. The Littlest Dude watched me working with Express PCB and wanted to start working on layouts of his own--he actually made the mental connection between the components and the holes/traces on the display, so I may eventually have help with this work. He's only six, so he can't do it yet, but at least he's showing the right degree of interest. :)

• Like 1

The Littlest Dude watched me working with Express PCB and wanted to start working on layouts of his own--he actually made the mental connection between the components and the holes/traces on the display, so I may eventually have help with this work. He's only six, so he can't do it yet, but at least he's showing the right degree of interest. :)

I sure wish my little dude were to show more interest in things - but then he is just three ;).

I sure wish my little dude were to show more interest in things - but then he is just three ;).

One of my 2 1/2 years old twins came asking for a mouse the other day. It turned out they were trying to switch on my TI and thought it needed a mouse. :) Needless to say they didn't get very far with their project...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been working on this one again--I've actually gotten things to the point where I'm about halfway done with the layout and have a way forward for most of the rest. One thing I've been mulling over is to put a larger socket in for the various clock chips with connections to a double row of pins next to it. This would allow us to insert pretty much any clock chip that we think would work and then jumper across to connect the pins to the right signals. That part of the board would look like a wire nest, but it would then be super-flexible when it comes to the clocks. It does use less real estate on the board than setting up three separate clock sockets does. Thoughts anyone?

I have been working on this one again--I've actually gotten things to the point where I'm about halfway done with the layout and have a way forward for most of the rest. One thing I've been mulling over is to put a larger socket in for the various clock chips with connections to a double row of pins next to it. This would allow us to insert pretty much any clock chip that we think would work and then jumper across to connect the pins to the right signals. That part of the board would look like a wire nest, but it would then be super-flexible when it comes to the clocks. It does use less real estate on the board than setting up three separate clock sockets does. Thoughts anyone?

Two thoughts:

1. What happens when the battery runs out in the DSR/clock chip? I've been wondering about that for my IDE card, which is certainly closing in on the end of its battery life.

2. How important is the clock chip in the scheme of things? Would a simpler battery-backed up RAM chip drop-in make for a viable (better?) option?

I was going to respond concerning the clock chips with on board RAM but I realized I can't remember the numbers and the signals we don't use for them. :)

I'll have to respond tomorrow after I have a chance to eyeball everything again.

It would be convenient if we could have a +5 and ground point so we could power CF card adapters. Nothing fancy, just two through holes we could solder a wire in and have a floppy connector on the other end of the wires to plug into the CF adapter.

post-36289-0-15045500-1396929877_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Two thoughts:

1. What happens when the battery runs out in the DSR/clock chip? I've been wondering about that for my IDE card, which is certainly closing in on the end of its battery life.

2. How important is the clock chip in the scheme of things? Would a simpler battery-backed up RAM chip drop-in make for a viable (better?) option?

There is an option for replacement batteries. I'll try to respond with that tomorrow.

I've already set up a spot on near the connectors to connect a 4-pin power plug of the 3.5" floppy-drive style, Swim. I also put two connectors so that it would be easy to attach a CF adapter at the back and still have a place to attach an IDE cable for a second drive. Note they are on the same IDE bus, so the maximum number of devices is still two for the card.

The area for the clock is still in flux, so any useful ideas here can still be implemented (with a greater or lesser degree of ease, depending on the chip). Many thanks for the input--I definitely can use the help! :)

• Like 1

I've already set up a spot on near the connectors to connect a 4-pin power plug of the 3.5" floppy-drive style, Swim. I also put two connectors so that it would be easy to attach a CF adapter at the back and still have a place to attach an IDE cable for a second drive. Note they are on the same IDE bus, so the maximum number of devices is still two for the card.

The area for the clock is still in flux, so any useful ideas here can still be implemented (with a greater or lesser degree of ease, depending on the chip). Many thanks for the input--I definitely can use the help! :)

Is it possible to do away with one of the IDE connectors and put a CF socket in it's place? ...with a small switch or 3 pin header to select master or slave?

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

It would be convenient if we could have a +5 and ground point so we could power CF card adapters. Nothing fancy, just two through holes we could solder a wire in and have a floppy connector on the other end of the wires to plug into the CF adapter.

Most CF<>IDE adaptors allow you to route +5V power via pin 20, which is the polarisation key position on the IDE cable. This does away with the need for a separate power cable.

Stuart.

Most CF<>IDE adaptors allow you to route +5V power via pin 20, which is the polarisation key position on the IDE cable. This does away with the need for a separate power cable.

Stuart.

This was not the case with my CF adapter unfortunately and I had to separately route power to it. An important point to consider when shopping for a CF adapter.

Two thoughts:

Her's a solution that may satisfy your requirement. This RTC65271 clock solution uses two replaceable coin batteries but no on board RAM.

Sheesh, this is the fifth time trying to reply with pics.

Here's a solution that may satisfy your requirement. This RTC65271 clock solution uses two replaceable coin batteries but no on board RAM.

Interesting little packaged device. So what would we use for the RAM component? That needs to be battery backed up to hold the DSR for the card.

I would suggest de-complicating the issue and go with the RAM only option. Clocks are nice but not necessary in my opinion. The overall attractiveness of the project is the reliable mass storage offered by the CF card.

This would eliminate some of the redraw/design complexity as well as reduce reliance on a hard and getting harder to find, as well as a relatively expensive part. The DSR could be backed up via a 3.0-.6 coin cell and a diode or other means.

Anyone feel the clock is that important to them ?

I would suggest de-complicating the issue and go with the RAM only option. Clocks are nice but not necessary in my opinion. The overall attractiveness of the project is the reliable mass storage offered by the CF card.

This would eliminate some of the redraw/design complexity as well as reduce reliance on a hard and getting harder to find, as well as a relatively expensive part. The DSR could be backed up via a 3.0-.6 coin cell and a diode or other means.

Anyone feel the clock is that important to them ?

I would hate to see the IDE clock function go away. It is the most accurate of all the clock solutions we have for the 4a. The date/time stamp of directories is often useful when searching for files that you may have not seen in a decade. ;)

If we have to reduce complexity, lets go with the RTC65271. Maybe we had better check availability first before we commit to a solution?