Coleco Gemini Paddle Repair 2600

2 replies to this topic

#1 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,881 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 PM

I was playing Jr Pac Man with the Coleco Gemini Atari 2600 clone joystick / paddle and decided to try a paddle game, Circus Atari.
The short throw joystick is great for quick turns and reverses.
IMG_3293.JPG
The paddle, however, was jitter city. The second controller did not jitter so I decided to clean or replace the paddle part.
IMG_3292.JPG
Remove the four corner screws and the Center screw. Five screws. They sure didn't go cheap here as there is a sixth screw, but that is for the joystick. Leave that one in.
No clips, it just opens.
IMG_3291.JPG
OMG, there is no potentiometer! Well, not completely true - it is like a big exposed potentiometer.
It is just a circuit board with a carbon strip that will change the resistance value.
I have seen them smaller, used for volume knobs on radios. If used a lot they wear down and cause noise when moving.
Is Coleco cheap, or brilliant? I am still not sure, but this makes cleaning a breeze, and replacement impossible.
So, out comes my ancient "Realistic® Tape Recorder Head Lubricant" and a bit of paper towel.
A quick wipe, put it back together...
And it is rock steady! A fixed paddle controller.
Tip: when using with Harmony cartridge, holding down the fire button changes the way the stick / paddle is read by the menu software.

#2 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• 6,226 posts

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 PM

Nice Summary!

I was playing Jr Pac Man with the Coleco Gemini Atari 2600 clone joystick / paddle and decided to try a paddle game, Circus Atari.

One day you'll be able to play Circus AtariAge too. However, I don't know if it will be compatible with the Gemini. I bought a Gemini a couple of weeks ago to test with the latest build of CAA, but I found some odd effects. I also noticed that my Gemini was incompatible with a lot of different games (including homebrews), and showed odd effects. I have no idea if it is just my Gemini though.

#3 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,881 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 PM

I know you wanted me to test your project my Gemini but so far I have never hooked it up.
A eagerly await your remake of Circus Atari.
The original is an example of the great gameplay the Atari can do.
A remake of it will be as loved as Medieval Mayhem, I predict.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Coleco, Gemini, Paddle, Repair, 2600

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users