IGNORED

request: help with titlescreen?

chickenxhat

I made a silly no-goal game for my son to play. It stars him as a little astronaut collecting moonrocks. I'd like some music in it someday, which I'm working on, but I really need help with the titlescreen kernel. My other silly no-purpose game featured a standard kernel playfield-based title screen, but after looking into the titlescreen kernel, i'd really like to incorporate it into this game.

if anyone wants to help me build it onto this code, i'd be totally stoked. attached is the game .bas, and 3 image files I'd like on the title screen. i've dedicated the last day of vbB use trying to figure out this thing, but it just isn't compiling, no matter which build i use or which version of the kernel i use. the wizard produces code, but won't compile. bah!

alternately if anyone can give me a .zip of an install directory package that has a working titlescreen wizard and working sound/music generator that runs under x64 windows, i'd be able to work on this myself i think.

Moon.bas

post-36496-0-26755900-1375827944.png

logo.bmp

copyright text.bmp

Edited by chickenxhat

This seems to work. Note that I had to make the game bankswitched 8k, because there just wasn't enough room remaining in your 4k game for a full title screen.

I just tried an idea for the title screen, but I included what you need for the title screen editor if you want to change anything.

post-34988-0-66630600-1375890339_thumb.png

Also, I noticed that your game jumped to 293 scanlines every time the player lets off joystick fire. It seems to be because of this line:

if !joy0fire then player1x = 255 : player1y = 255 : player2x = 255 : player2y = 255

Likely because the x ends at 170-something and the y only goes up to 90-something, so 255 is an invalid coordinate and it must have taken a frame or two to reset the locations, causing the screen to roll.

I changed that line to this:

if !joy0fire then player1x = 0 : player1y = 0 : player2x = 0 : player2y = 0

And an earlier line setting all those locations to 255 to this:

player1x = 0 : player1y = 0
player2x = 0 : player2y = 0
player3x = 0 : player3y = 0
player4x = 0 : player4y = 0

Everything seems to function the same, but now without any rolling, so far as I can see.

Moon.bas.bin

Moon.bas

Moon_title.xml

maingraphic_2.bmp

Edited by Cybearg
  • Like 1

I forget exactly how I cobbled together my combination of vbB, bB, and DASM, but I BELIEVE that I have that latest versions with fixes. Maybe someone with a better memory (read: bookmark history) than myself, such as Random Terrain, bogax, RevEng, or someone, can give you the start of the breadcrumb trail that is the long and complicated update history of bB/vbB

For what it's worth, I have vbB build 1.0 (build 566) and bB version 1.01, though I know there are a bunch of obscure little fixes/changes that have been added beyond the official update numbers.

Someone really should start a stickied topic that says exactly how to update to the latest version, and, ideally, keep that topic updated (on the first post) on how to keep updated.

So far as bB, try my version, which has a number of fixes over any other officially released version. The Windows binaries included are 32-bit, but they run fine under my Windows 7 64-bit. (note: you'll need to copy dasm.exe and sed.exe out of your current bB dir, as they're not supplied with my dist.)

Being a Linux guy, I only occasionally use the awesome vbb, but I believe the latest vbb should work.

I believe this will give you what you need with minimal hassle, but if you run into problems please report them to the above threads so we can fix the issues, rather than having people resorting to using old builds with their own sets of issues.

i feel like some kind of idiot. can't get it to compile.

here's my up to date game code. could you attach the title screen to this one the way you did to the old version? and could you set the titlescreen gem color to a green tone?

thanks for trying to teach me to fish. and thanks for the work. it looks awesome.

Moon.bas

Edited by chickenxhat