IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

And it is also questionable with the bar code reading. IIRC, you can't read a COPY of the bar code with it, as it requires some kind of weird, special ink for the read function. It also worked as a sort of program copy protection, as only an original print could be read. . .

• Like 1

i guess i'm spoiled to modern bar code readers that read like a million symbologies, lol. I'll have to go look up this device!

veering slightly off-topic but talking about readers, i had one of these (as attached) as a kid. i remember being bored pretty quick at a device that just reads books back to you ;)

back to your regularly scheduled topic.

post-52262-0-29305300-1529500740.jpg

• Like 1

And it is also questionable with the bar code reading. IIRC, you can't read a COPY of the bar code with it, as it requires some kind of weird, special ink for the read function. It also worked as a sort of program copy protection, as only an original print could be read. . .

Shotgun meet foot. So for magazines to print programs for it to read they would have need to use a special ink, thus increasing the cost of production. Also making it, unlike mass recording media like floppies or cassettes, so one could not produce his own Oscar-compatible programs. Talk about dooming yourself to obsolescence before time! Real bummer.

Now it makes me wonder if it was something akin to MICR ink, and if that could have been bypassed. Seems to not be a handy way to distribute commercial programs given, again, media of the time.

Some day I'm going to hack my Oscar barcode reader and see what I can do with it :) I should be able to tap into the sensor data stream, and from there it's all software...

I want to see pictures of you with the TI (PEB, monitor, OSCAR, UPS for power) in a shopping cart scanning groceries at your local supermarket. ;)

• Like 6

i guess i'm spoiled to modern bar code readers that read like a million symbologies, lol. I'll have to go look up this device!

veering slightly off-topic but talking about readers, i had one of these (as attached) as a kid. i remember being bored pretty quick at a device that just reads books back to you ;)

back to your regularly scheduled topic.

The Magic Wand Speaking Reader indeed required the iron ink (as in check printing.) This made the sensor durable.

A version of the Magic Wand which uses a red LED laser scanner exists. It can work from any photocopied material and read Magic Wand books.

Also, an interface between the Magic Wand and the TI-99/4A joystick/cassette ports was made, with which the 4A could send commands and allophone strings for speaking. This was for testing the MWSR, not expanding the 4A, since the 4A with a speech synthesizer and TE2 was just as capable.

With Ksarul's SAMS's remake and JediMatt42's 32K sidecar, the market for original 32K cards does not seem as strong, at least to those of us here at AtariAge who are up-to-date on the new stuff. However << THIS AUCTION >> on a TI 32K card is still (for now) very reasonable.

Currently at $5.50 with free shipping. FOR THIS PRICE IT'S WORTH IT JUST FOR THE SHELL!

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4