IGNORED

Compact Flash adapter with MyIDE

qberticus

I have been thinking about this too. A compact flash cart can work in various modes, and one of them is a real IDE mode. It would be great to have 512 Mb CF inside.....But wil it work ? Has anyone tested some other IDE media beside a harddisk ? a zip drive ?

Thelen

The CF to IDE adaptor arrived today, and here's what I found:

I plugged it in to the MyIDE along with a 64MB CF card I had. I boot the Atari and run scandisk...it recognizes a drive as being attached, and passed the scan...no problems. I then run fdisk, and again, it detects the drive. I set up a 16 MB partition, and go into MyDOS to set it up. It recognized a high-capicity drive on drive 2. So I initialize it, do a disk directory, and it shows free sectors! I then write DOS files to it, and they write.

I then run fdisk again, set up the partition as drive 1, and boot directly to the partition on CF!

So I've decided to build the CF adaptor into my 800XL...it's smaller and will use less power than a hard drive. And I can cut a slot in the back to change CF cards as needed.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone thought of creating a 8-Bit mega-cartridge that would have a slot on the top where a user could enter a CF card. Then plug the Atari 8-bit cart into the cart slot and then add games to it and have them saved to the CF card inside the special cart. This would be great as you could stick a 256mb cf card into the cartridge spine and then place the cart into the 8-bit system and then store many games on it for immediate loading like typical carts on an Atari 8-Bit. Does this sound like a possibility?

• 5 months later...