IGNORED

Lynx 2 is perfect

Guitari

To me the design of the lynx 2 is perfect, I love the lynx one and the Game Gear and the Nomad (these, in my mind being the only comparable sized landscape handhelds of the generation).

I love the design too far above my DS and what I can see of the PSP designs.

It has many useful functions that are easy to understand. Not too many and not too few. The Game Gear, as much as I love it, in comparison is too simple!

The Lynx 2 fits perfectly in my relatively small hands. Any one else feel the same?

It makes me wonder, (I've already commented before on what could be involved with installing the guts of a Game Gear) were it possible to play today's high quality titles inside the lynx. Perhaps building a modern emulator into the shell with Candle's new screen design, but still utilising the exisiting buttons.

Or is the charm only having retro style titles to fit its look? For me the choice of the two would be marvellous.

Food for thought..

• Like 1

I know its not the same thing but for me you can't beat the JXD S7300 for gaming in the go. It is essentially a 7" ultra widescreen tablet loaded with physical controls that can be mapped in any combination you want with emulators from 2600 up to PS1 and it runs them all fantastically. HDMI out, touchscreen, custom ROMs (NCCE v1.1), play store, Micro SD and the list goes on. The only drawback I have found is below average battery life for a comparable sized tablet albeit its doing lots more. Here is the link:

I know its not the same thing but for me you can't beat the JXD S7300 for gaming in the go. It is essentially a 7" ultra widescreen tablet loaded with physical controls that can be mapped in any combination you want with emulators from 2600 up to PS1 and it runs them all fantastically. HDMI out, touchscreen, custom ROMs (NCCE v1.1), play store, Micro SD and the list goes on. The only drawback I have found is below average battery life for a comparable sized tablet albeit its doing lots more. Here is the link:

Willgoo.com

Cool! What I think is essential about the lynx 2 over modern devices is that it is thick enough to fit nicely between the thumbs and fingers. I know this was bourne out from necessity what with the components being larger back then but I do think the early 90s was a pivitol point in time where handheld consoles were just the right size. Since then we've seen ever decreasing sizes and what happens? DS becomes DSXL!

I actually agree with this, despite the size of the Lynx. Take the DS and 3DS for example, they aren't exactly comfortable to hold are they? We seem to just get flat systems these days. Sure the DS is portable but tbh I would prefer my 3DS to be molded like a 360 or PS3 controller

It's all in an attempt to capitalize on the success of the iPhone, which has all the personality of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey thanks to its flat, rectangular shape. I get why it's popular (it slips in and out of a pocket easily), but it's not necessarily the best design for a game system.

I think the PSP strikes a nice middle ground between comfort and practicality. The Lynx has too many design issues (largely stemming from its advanced age) for me to want to use it as a handheld, but a PSP running a Lynx emulator should scratch that itch quite nicely, provided the emulator is well designed. I kind of wish someone had made a Lynx emulator for the Game Boy Advance, since I have a Game Boy Micro that's crying for attention, but I seriously doubt the system has the juice to handle it.

• Like 2

I actually agree with this, despite the size of the Lynx. Take the DS and 3DS for example, they aren't exactly comfortable to hold are they? We seem to just get flat systems these days. Sure the DS is portable but tbh I would prefer my 3DS to be molded like a 360 or PS3 controller

The DS lite isn't great for comfortability but it's a neat little system. If I actually used it I might think about selling it and buying the XL version. Although I don't know if the XL takes GBA carts which I like, not owning a GBA. I don't care much for flat systems and have precisely zero games on my android phone. I actually carry a man bag to work and in it right now is my lynx 2 in its carry pouch, carrying about 10 games. No worries, there's the portability. Who wants to carry a DS lite in their trouser pocket!

There's a case for new systems having the retro chunky design, look at the Supaboy! Ok it has to take SNES carts and it probably has to be that size due to its replicated circuitry but it is designed like a SNES controller and I think its large size is generally welcomed.

I guess actually there are a couple of little points that aren't too much of a problem. The off button (or is it on) is recessed and not so easy to press. I geuss this prevents accidently turning it off or on.The power adapter socket is thin and flimsy and could pull out if the cord becomes taught and the screen is recessed, it seems a lot more up front and close on the Game Gear and It would've been nice if the lynx 2 came with a carry strap as standard rather than having to find/install your own.

Otherwise it's perfect! Innovative too, how often have we since seen flip and backlight switch?

I read about it all once but I can't remember now, obviously Epyx designed model one after Atari bought it from them, but were they brought in again for the 2nd design?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am going to have to strongly, strongly disagree. The system is too big to fit in my pocket, it drains battery too quickly to keep putting AAs in it, and the colors bleed on the screen (I'm well aware that those problems are not unique to the Lynx but rather common of systems from that era like Game Gear and TurboExpress).

I still love the Lynx as I love my Game Gear, but for my money the Nintendo 3DS (original form factor) is the best handheld. Great d-pad, best analog control of any mainstream handheld, good shoulder buttons, four face buttons, folding design to protect the device, touchscreen/motion sensor/camera/mic controls built in, stereoscopic 3D, user-replaceable rechargeable battery, horizontal orientation for good ergonomics. The 3DS XL is too big and the pixel density is far too low; the image quality on the device is garbage compared to the smaller unit.

The Vita is actually terrible for ergonomics. I have one and I love it, but the button layout must have been designed by a monkey. The analog sticks are tiny, meaning they do not have nealy enough throw. This greatly affects the ability to play games which require precise movements, like Wipeout 2048. The sticks are also convex rather than concave, and therefore quite prone to thumb slippage. But the worst offense is the cramped layout. Given how ridiculously big the system is (a Vita is larger than a folded 3DS XL, which was DESIGNED to be big) there's no excuse for the sicks being placed so closely to the d-pad and buttons. It is extremely easy to accidentally hit d-pad down or the X button when pushing the sticks up. And the buttons themselves are absolutely tiny. Add to that the awkward way you have to hold the unit to avoid hitting the stupid and worthless rear touchpad and you've got one uncomfortable device.

• 1 month later...

My brother's favourite system of all time is the Lynx, he had a Lynx 2 back when it was launched, I had the odd blast on it but ended up being seduced by the Game Gear and the Gameboy. Over the years my brother kept on with his Lynx promotions and lo and behold my birthday present (for the birthday just passed) from him was a Lynx 2 and some games. I have been hooked ever since, a much better system than the GG and GB with a batch of great games and very comfortable to use. Yep the Lynx 2 is perfect!!

Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

The 7800 is out now but I have the 7300 still.

With the fix on the control pad yes, it's awesome.