Two Demo binaries!
You can now play as "The Lady" (created for the 2 women on AtariAge!).
By popular demand, "The Carpenter" moves quicker up and down ladders.
Fireballs descend ladders quicker.
Alarm sound when timer falls below 1000.
Numerous sound updates and bug fixes.
Japanese order only (Levels 1, 2, 3 & 4) that end after Level 4.
The title is a selection screen: Up, down, left or right selections. (Note: American selection defaults to Japanese order for these demos.)
Remember to turn Phosphor Effect (Ctrl-p) on in Stella!
DemoE = easy. As will be the first time though the levels.
DemoH = hard. As will be the increased difficulty the next time through the levels.
DK20141011BcDemoE.bin 32KB 547 downloads
DK20141011BcDemoH.bin 32KB 342 downloads
October 11, 2014
Second Demo Binary(s) soon!
We have listened to comments and suggestions. I think everything done since the last demo has been an improvement in every area. Gameplay, graphics, sound and music, and options.
List of "bugs" that probably are permanent "features":
- Some odd TIA chips cause a few playfield pixels to blink. Does not affect gameplay.
- Cement Factory level with hammer will show ghost garbage pixels when fireballs climb down due to Intelligent Flicker and virtual sprite vertical alignment. Does not affect gameplay.
- Jumping to the left-most part of the center elevator (descending) player becomes unresponsive to joystick. Affects gameplay.
-Jumping a fireball over a rivet can trap the fireball over the gap. One I had trapped later climbed thin air to the level above and started acting normally - except it was a few pixels below the girder.
September 27, 2014
No binary, but we are still working on this!
Latest binary directly below, in March 1.
rem Note: 9-02-14 Made ditty1 note duration shorter, Opening longer, How High tune ends with harmony.
rem Note: 9-09-14. Started adding Pauline Edition.
rem Note: 9-20-14. Moved pies down in three! different locations.
rem Note: 9-21-14. Fixed 'static' in ditty sounds. Added Pauline climb head wiggle. Fixed broke items grab sounds on elevators.
rem Note: 9-22-14 Fixed "Death scene gone bad Elevator Level". Fixed winning Elevator w/Mario and having Pauline appear below.
rem Note: 9-22-14
rem Note: 9-23-14 Needed to add Pauline Colors in skipmario2. PreTitle Screen has left / right joystick player selection.
rem Note: 9-27-14 Difficulty increases by Byte Knight! New Pretitle Screen removed. Added Harmony to Opening Tune.
rem Switched L/R selection and icon. Screen order progression fixed. Sped up prize sound. Fireballs descend faster.
rem set optimization noinlinedata works.
March 1, 2014
DK23Arcade2600.bin 32KB 467 downloads
Bug fixes for the demo:
Mario shouldn't get stuck in girders any more.
Overlapping barrels shouldn't sneak through the hammer any more.
Increased barrel spawn timer to make the level a little easier.
Moved hammer up and right on top level so you can't grab it from the level below and you can jump straight up and get it.
Fixed Mario jumping bug that would kill Mario after 5 jumps in a row.
Cement Pie Level
Kong has less separation anxiety!
Fixed ghosting of the tops of fireballs.
Mario won't "fall" through girders on Elevator Level.
February 19, 2014
There's a new DK in town called DK Arcade 2600, joining AtariAge member Joe Musashi's phenomenal D.K. VCS!
This playable demo features all 4 levels in full-screen goodness, so check it out!
Brought to AtariAge by members "Byte Knight" and myself, "iesposta."
Binary: DK_Arcade_2600.bin 32KB 393 downloads
The playable demo features all four levels but will end after the rivet level (Level 4).
Let us know your thoughts and post your high scores!
The release version will feature:
Japanese and US level order.
Difficulty level increases.
The ability to play Mario or Pauline.
Thanks to RevEng and Bogax for technical help, and Atari Brian for beta-testing.
February 12, 2014
- Dynamic titlescreen has 1 to 4 Stupid Monkeys on How High Can You Try? depending on level.
- Bonus/Countdown timer has color. Score is 6 digits and white.
- Spinning death sound created.
- Japanese and American order selection (difficulty switch).
- Flicker reduced on top of level 1 by adding 2 playfield screen lines and removing 1 line from The Lady, putting her 7 lines above the barrels. Notice I said reduced. It still flickers a lot but that is where everything happens at once.
- Going "over cycles" fixed by adjusting Overscan time, adding scanlines. Currently stable at 270 lines.
- Custom Score Font. (I know it looks like other games, but I did create each number to match the arcade game.)
February 5, 2014
Let it spin, let it spin, let it spin.
No game, just spinning...
DK21y140201bSpin.bas 2.bin 32KB 215 downloads
January 19, 2014
This binary plays levels 1, 2, 4 and then properly goes back to level 1.
DK21y140119f.bas.bin 32KB 291 downloads
January 15, 2014.
!! Level 2 pie/cement factory done!!
Binary 1-15-2014: DK21yMKH14cr.bas.bin 32KB 362 downloads
>>Positive or Negative Feedback appreciated, especially on real hardware during gameplay (rolling or jittering). Note: It does jitter before Level 4.