IGNORED

side/side-2 cartdidge firmware update

candle

Hi

Just want to release something i have for quite some time now

in this version of side fat loader you'll find:

CIO D: handler for programs requireing it

preliminary support for loading 8/16k cartridge images - be warned though - most cartridges do something stupid in order to verify if they are run from ROM - ie put random data in their code area and try to run it then

some i've patched, but this is tedious work, that perhaps someone else would like to do

at this point, this update is for stand-alone side cartridge, not to be placed inside ultimate1mb rom

if you need the latter one, i suggest you putting one of apriopriate loaders on your cf card, it will also give you a chance of testing it before doing update

Sebastian

side-update.xex

carty.zip

fat32-incognito.xex

fat32-intmyide.xex

fat32-myide.xex

fat32-side.xex

• Like 5

Hi

Just want to release something i have for quite some time now

in this version of side fat loader you'll find:

CIO D: handler for programs requireing it

preliminary support for loading 8/16k cartridge images (...)

Sebastian

Thanks!

Before I flash the baby:

Would this allow KoronisRift.ATR to load from SIDE without (Koronis) blidingly-and-stupidly trying to access my NUXX drive? :-D

THX, anyway!

• 2 months later...

Hi Candle, any chance to develop a XEX based firmware flasher for U1MB?

As you can read here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218960-u1mb-side2-on-xegs-issues/ my U1MB + SIDE2 combination does not load ATRs, it always goes to Basic.

Lotharek is aware of the issue and probably looking for answers.

In any case I wanted to flash the 4th slot with XEGS OS and slot 3 with MyBIOS R2, but U1MB flashing solution is thru an SDX ATR so for me at the moment it's a no go.

I am not an Atari expert at all so I do not know how much work you put into making the side-update.xex, maybe I am wrong assuming that it will flash SIDE2 side loader, but if it does do you think it possible to build a XEX based integrated flasher + ROM for U1MB.

Like loading the whole thing in the extended RAM and then flash from there, after all the flash onboard U1MB is 512KB but there's 1MB of RAM available.

I am not thinking of allowing to flash pieces independently, the whole 512K would be good, a little PC tool that creates the XEX with "flasher + ROM" is what I am looking for.

Once more, apologies as I am not an Atari expert, so if I make no sense don't take it the wrong way.

I am not sure if it is even technically possible, just asking here.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Hi candle,

I tried to run that fat32-side.xex from a SDX partition on my SIDE2 ... but most of the .xex files do not run then.

Is it difficult to fix that?

I replaced the built-in SIDE loader in my Side2 cart with my favorite Assembler, and since I lost SIDE loader by doing that, I would like to run that from SDX harddisk.

If that's not possible, ok; I thought I'd better ask.

Thanks in advance!

Marius