IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 6 Round 17 Gremlins

zylon

Our game this round is Gremlins. Play on default starting settings. This one doesn't come up often, so no special add-ons this time.

Emulation is allowed, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC records.

Round ends on Sunday September 15th 2013 @ 9pm EST

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Gremlins -
(Night 3) doctorclu 2,503,623
Final scores:
634,263 peedenmark7 +11
301,977 sdamon +10
206,236 darthkur +9
49,375 roadrunner +8
16,344 Red Tide +7
10,013 RangerG +6
7,597 jblenkle +5
3,031 wolfman24 +4
Edited by zylon

This game makes me sad as it is an excellent game with one fatal flaw... It doles out so many extra lives that you can play it forever once you the hang of it. I'd love to see a hack that fixes this. I've even taken a look at the raw disassembly, but I just haven't been able to locate the code that awards extra lives yet. As I'm a assembly language noob, this isn't terribly surprising.

This game makes me sad as it is an excellent game with one fatal flaw... It doles out so many extra lives that you can play it forever once you the hang of it. I'd love to see a hack that fixes this. I've even taken a look at the raw disassembly, but I just haven't been able to locate the code that awards extra lives yet. As I'm a assembly language noob, this isn't terribly surprising.

I've been busy playing other things. ;)

Missile Command+.xex

Pole Position X+.xex

Edited by zylon

I've been busy playing other things. ;)

I'd tried Missile Command + already (very nice!), but hadn't even heard of Pole Position X! Sadly, I don't seem to be able to load it onto the USB flash cart (it claims the ROM size of 25100 bytes isn't supported.) :-(

I'd tried Missile Command + already (very nice!), but hadn't even heard of Pole Position X! Sadly, I don't seem to be able to load it onto the USB flash cart (it claims the ROM size of 25100 bytes isn't supported.) :-(

I'm using an 8mb cart for that stuff. Managed to get 60 games on it. :)

Pole Position X might be a smaller file than PP X+. :ponder:

Been checking out a bunch of these hacks/mods to possibly add them to our HSC list. The Dreadnaught Factor II holds much promise, as does the original Defender proto.

Edited by zylon

I tried adding bytes to the PPX+ file with a hex editior to bring it up to 32K. That let me load it onto the Atarimax cart, but I just get a black screen or garbage. Anyone have suggestions? Does 5200 PPX+ have a thread somewhere? I can't seem to find one.

I tried adding bytes to the PPX+ file with a hex editior to bring it up to 32K. That let me load it onto the Atarimax cart, but I just get a black screen or garbage. Anyone have suggestions? Does 5200 PPX+ have a thread somewhere? I can't seem to find one.

Try this one. I ran it on my 600xl with no problems. No analog control with A8's, but you can check out the game itself. You need more RAM than stock 5200 for the X+ version it seems. The new SD flash cart should handle it in theory.

This thread has lots of PP hacks in it from using the editor.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/120642-pole-position-x-courses-hacked-to-a-5200-rom/

Pole Position X (1984)(ICS).zip

Edited by zylon

Personal best of 187,924 Night 46 Real disappointing if this ends up being my high and I don't have a pic for for my files.

This game is total sh!t for snapping pics.. You pause it and it goes to the main Gremlins screen then you un-pause and you have roughly 2 seconds to snap the picture..

I was ready to re-calibrate my 4 port , but I think I had better leave it alone for this round.

Edited by peedenmark7

The mistake I have been making is pausing the game at the end which kicks you back to the start once you un-pause [which only shows the high score briefly then fades out as you begin the new game] instead of simply allowing the game to cycle through into the demo mode.

So to answer your question, yes the game does show the high score if you leave it be.

I figured this out late last night. Duh.

In my haste/excitement to snap a high score, I was doing as with some games so as not to not a get a pic at all.

Won't happen again :0

• Like 1

post-2092-0-77099700-1379214082_thumb.jpg

That's all the Gremlin-slaying I have patience for this round! :-)

Some tips:

Generally don't walk towards the Gremlins while swinging your sword at them. Let them walk into your swing.

Most of the time I did lose lives was because I swung, missed, and got eaten before I could swing again. Try not to swing and miss! Probably could use flashes to prevent this... I usually forget I even have those.

Be sure to kill nearby Gremlins in the first few seconds before they start moving. Also put some distance between you and the remaining Gremlins.

Flashes! We don't need no stinkin' flashes...

Actually, looking at my score, I definitively needed something else. Unfortunately, I didn't realize I had flashes until reading sdamon's post. I was recently on a long haul flight and Gremlins was one of the in-flight movie options. The video game does a good job of capturing the spirit of the movie. I thought the movie did not age as well as some other early 80s classics. It's very predictable. The one exception is the kick-ass Mom who nukes one of the evil Gremlins.

Score: 16,344

post-34643-0-94784600-1379281161_thumb.jpg

I hit a wall early this morning and finally took the chance and calibrated my 4 port , which paid off as my game play picked up dramatically. The champ could not be more correct on the endless lives.

Had the Packer game not been on @ noon today I would have made an honest run for the record, as it seemed like I could have played and played. I actually became bored and game play began to suffer as I was getting extra lives over and over. At one point I believe I had to have 15+ lives. When I finally quit, the upper corner was full of them.

You do have to find your groove, but once you do , the record is only a matter of how much time you care to put into it.

634,263 Night 99 times who knows...

post-28653-0-09702900-1379292817_thumb.jpg

Edited by peedenmark7

Congrats to peedenmark7 for sticking this one out for the win. :thumbsup: Moon Patrol is our next game. Just a reminder that there's only 3 rounds left after that...

Final scores:

634,263 peedenmark7 +11

301,977 sdamon +10

206,236 darthkur +9

49,375 roadrunner +8

16,344 Red Tide +7

10,013 RangerG +6

7,597 jblenkle +5

3,031 wolfman24 +4

Standings updated. :)

Edited by zylon