IGNORED

Intellivisionaries podcast ep1 now available

Rick Reynolds

The Intellivision has a podcast! Episode 1 of the Intellivisionaries podcast is finally ready. Nurmix, Burgertime and I have been working on getting this podcast started for a few months now.

Our website: http://www.intellivisionaries.com

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/intypodcast

Twitter: @intypodcast

We'd love it if you'd give it a listen!

• Like 4

I'm listening to it now. It's very good, and I am enjoying it a lot.

The three hosts seem to have good chemistry together, and seem very knowledgeable of the topics being discussed.

Is that theme song the work of Paul? It's rather cool!

I look forward to future episodes.

dZ.

Excellent work, guys! Very informative and interesting to listen to. One suggestion: if you use "compare this" again in future episodes to transition between segments like you did in episode 1, you may want to edit it down to just a 60 or 90 second chunk of it because, while it is a cool piece, listening to the entire thing kind of hurt the flow of the show I thought. Other than that, I loved it. Can't wait for episode 2.

Edited by oldskoolgaymer

Thanks for the kind words. I can't speak for Nurmix (he does the final edits/mix on the podcast), but I believe using that song was a one-time fun thing to include. He may want to include other songs to break up all the talking in the future.

That song was great and I wouldn't imagine it would play in it's entirety often. I would love to have an mp3 of it to put in my gaming mix folder. The rest of the music was great, but it did kind of have me guessing whether a piece was original Nurmix material or game music. Overall, the show was great; looking forward to see what regular features, etc there are after the introduction phase is over. Great job!!

Hey guys, great to see the positive feedback about the show.

"Compare This" is a bit lengthy, I agree. But I wanted to incorporate it into the first episode because of the content relating to the early ads Mattel ran for the system. That's also why I chose to put the 2001 Theme in the beginning - since this was the version that played on the Intellivision's original in-store demo cartridge; which for many of us, was our first introduction to the system.

The short bits of Intellivision music were put in there to break up the show segments a bit (as were the quick little game sound bumpers). That's a style I enjoy when listening to podcasts. I don't intend to over do it when it comes to music, but I would like to feature one song per episode that is Intellivision-related (I'm open to others submitting their original songs for episodes too, as long as they meet that criteria). But you do give me an idea for future episodes... maybe I will mention what songs were used - although all of this information is available in the Show Notes for each episode: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/Download_EP01.html

And yes, the opening and closing music tracks are my original compositions. Glad you're enjoying them!

• Like 2

Hey guys, great to see the positive feedback about the show.

"Compare This" is a bit lengthy, I agree. But I wanted to incorporate it into the first episode because of the content relating to the early ads Mattel ran for the system. That's also why I chose to put the 2001 Theme in the beginning - since this was the version that played on the Intellivision's original in-store demo cartridge; which for many of us, was our first introduction to the system.

The short bits of Intellivision music were put in there to break up the show segments a bit (as were the quick little game sound bumpers). That's a style I enjoy when listening to podcasts. I don't intend to over do it when it comes to music, but I would like to feature one song per episode that is Intellivision-related (I'm open to others submitting their original songs for episodes too, as long as they meet that criteria). But you do give me an idea for future episodes... maybe I will mention what songs were used - although all of this information is available in the Show Notes for each episode: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/Download_EP01.html

And yes, the opening and closing music tracks are my original compositions. Glad you're enjoying them!

Hi Nurmix! I say, keep the music segments and the sound effect interludes; they add character to the show. :)

dZ.

Just listened to the introductory podcast. Had it on in the background in my basement while cleaning, testing, and organizing some games. It was pretty entertaining. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'll definitely try to listen to more episodes. Love the music! Would be cool to hear some songs composed on, or at least featuring, the Synthesizer. Just a thought. Anyhoo, keep them coming.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Just listened to the introductory podcast. Had it on in the background in my basement while cleaning, testing, and organizing some games. It was pretty entertaining. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'll definitely try to listen to more episodes. Love the music! Would be cool to hear some songs composed on, or at least featuring, the Synthesizer. Just a thought. Anyhoo, keep them coming.

Thanks, Jason. Glad you liked the show. I intend to create a lot more original music for the podcast, including something that uses the synthesizer / ECS combo. I just wish it had MIDI capabilities so I could more easily use it with my sequencer (Cubase)...

• Like 1

Thanks, Jason. Glad you liked the show. I intend to create a lot more original music for the podcast, including something that uses the synthesizer / ECS combo. I just wish it had MIDI capabilities so I could more easily use it with my sequencer (Cubase)...

I say, lobby Joe Z. for this. I wouldn't mind working on a sequencer/synth program for the Intellivision. As I've mentioned to you before, this is one of my (long-term) future projects. But if a MIDI interface is imminent, I'd gladly bump it up.

I think Joe was discussing something like this with Seth (from 8-Bit Weapon) last year at CGE.

dZ.

I say, lobby Joe Z. for this. I wouldn't mind working on a sequencer/synth program for the Intellivision. As I've mentioned to you before, this is one of my (long-term) future projects. But if a MIDI interface is imminent, I'd gladly bump it up.

I think Joe was discussing something like this with Seth (from 8-Bit Weapon) last year at CGE.

dZ.

I talked to Joe about this at CGE (might have been 2010). You and I also talked a bit about a synthesizer program at CGE 2012.

Yes, I would love a way to "tweak" the invidual sounds from the ECS/synthesizer (without using external processors). If that could be combined with a tracker/sequencer that would be great... but combining ECS/synth capabilities with a MIDI interface would be ideal.

Did you ever see the Commodore 64 FastFingers Lead Synthesizer project that was made in 1984 by Dan Laskowski? It used the Commodore's SID chip (3 channels mixed together per patch) for the tones, and the Intellivision ECS keyboard to control it - via a custom hardware interface that Mr. Laskowski designed. Here is a YouTube video of him showing the system all these years later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2GWi5-f_vY

Edited by nurmix

I wasn't aware of that site before. My new login is waiting for approval.

Nor was I. My primary forum is Retrogaming Roundup, and to a lesser degree, here (although my intention is to be more active here as well). Anyway, I just joined the RVG forum and am also awaiting approval.

Hello there,

I have just finished going through the Podcast (the first Podcast I ever fully listened to) and I loved it. Thank you very much for creating it!

I commute by train every day to work so your podcast is the perfect companion for my travels.

The programme is quite long but very well structured so actually time flies when listening to it.

I consider myself quite knowledgable of my favourite console and nevertheless I picked up some extremely interesting information.

I agree with you guys, there is not much in-depth knowledge on such a revolutionary and forward-thinking console.

I am looking forward to hearing more from you and to spread the word about the Intellivision and its enormous contributions to home entertainment.

Good luck and thanks again for this labour of love. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Kudos for the music and sound effects, as Dz said: "They add character to the programme".

Cheers!

Hello there,
I have just finished going through the Podcast (the first Podcast I ever fully listened to) and I loved it. Thank you very much for creating it!
I commute by train every day to work so your podcast is the perfect companion for my travels.
The programme is quite long but very well structured so actually time flies when listening to it.
I consider myself quite knowledgable of my favourite console and nevertheless I picked up some extremely interesting information.
I agree with you guys, there is not much in-depth knowledge on such a revolutionary and forward-thinking console.
I am looking forward to hearing more from you and to spread the word about the Intellivision and its enormous contributions to home entertainment.
Good luck and thanks again for this labour of love. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Kudos for the music and sound effects, as Dz said: "They add character to the programme".
Cheers!

Wow, thank you Oscar! I'm so pleased people are enjoying the show. It truly is a labor of love for all of us involved. And rest assured, the music and sounds effects will remain a part of the show.

Enjoyed the podcast. One thing, though...Given the INTV's dreadful disc controller, you CANNOT spend like 10 minutes complaining about the ColecoVision controller and not even mention the far greater limitations of Mattel's design.

I have owned two Intellivisions, both of which I had to put away as unplayable, solely because of the controllers. Thankfully, I now can emulate the 12 or 15 games I really enjoy on this system.

The CV controller was not ideal but was nowhere near the debacle of the INTV controller.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the podcast. One thing, though...Given the INTV's dreadful disc controller, you CANNOT spend like 10 minutes complaining about the ColecoVision controller and not even mention the far greater limitations of Mattel's design.

I have owned two Intellivisions, both of which I had to put away as unplayable, solely because of the controllers. Thankfully, I now can emulate the 12 or 15 games I really enjoy on this system.

The CV controller was not ideal but was nowhere near the debacle of the INTV controller.

There was NOTHING wrong with the Intellivision Disc controller. It works rather well, when used properly.

The problem with the Intellivision controller was the ergonomics of the device, which made the action buttons a pain to use.

What were these "far greater limitations" that you speak of? The Intellivision disc was 16 directions, and was intended to work by rolling your thumb lazily over it, much in the same way that "d-pads" and "analog sticks" work today.

The ColecoVision controller, on the other hand, was a hybrid of a joystick and a disc, which made the limitations of each even more obvious.

dZ.