IGNORED

Aquatron Info Wanted

Does anyone know much about this great game, I can't seem to find anything or the instructions ?

I put a few comments on Atarimania In addition: The top bar shows the score/high, number of baddies and the right side appears to be a compass to your base? I suspect your ammo/shield might be limitied/refillable on the higher levels. Also wonder if the scoreboard should save... it's a long time since I played...

aquatron.gif

(Fandal has patched version).

Now playing in the High Score Club along with some other shooters in an extended tournament round, join in the fun - everyone welcome :party:

• 2 weeks later...

nobody?! nothing?!!!

I'll checkout the US magazines from around the time it was listed to see if there is a review - I don't remember anything in the UK magazines...

great game, looks like the base is hostile as it releases 'chutes that create submarines... the first few levels are not a challenge, getting past level 8 however is tough - the skill seems to be nipping in and out of hyperdrive and the water to complete the level before too many interceptors get you. Really nice sound effects such as the (initially off screen) chopper noise gets louder as you approach it...

still time to post a score too folks ;)

Ok I've put in another session, I wanted to back up my claim that it was as good a game as DropZone or Defender... if you're thinking I'm losing the plot then put in some time on the game:

The base (zeppelin) gives no points but they do drop 'chutes - these make a different noise when collected to the regular bad guy 'chutes. They DO replenish ammo (pink bar) and sheild (yellow bar), I'm guessing the ammo is limited on a later level.

Thanks to figuring this out and after much play I made it to Level 9 where it said "Master Level 01" at the start. You seem to get an extra life every 10K possibly. There was an additional base ship here too.

The game gets incedibly intense as you are under real pressure to get the level cleared quickly before you have a screen full of interceptors on your tail. Best strategy seems to be head away from the base clear above then blow the surface in a few zones before moving on, then replenish your shield and complete the level. Easy huh?!

The controls are superb, you can spin round and glide/float which allows you to avoid interceptor missiles underwater and to pick off the subs without crashing into them. Wiggling up and down afrer turning to take out the P(roximity?)-mines and interceptors seems to work too.

Aquatron 10/10 great game - check it out folks!

p.s. I busted one of my favourite joysticks playing so it must be good :-o

[edit]

forgot to say once destroyed the base stays off for the rest of the levels; perhaps an additional one appears on level 9 rather than 2 appear. I can imagine on later levels multiple bases and a very crowded sky where you have to be careful not to destroy them :)

post-19705-0-48540200-1382286540_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-09553100-1382286542_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-49116200-1382286543_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-38362700-1382286545_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

I went through all of my magazines from late 1982 through 1984 (and a little later for the UK ones as these games usually showed up much later in the UK reviews)... Not a single entry, in fact I didn't even see an ad for this game in any of them,

Thanks for posting this... I remembered Aquatron vaguely, but I don't recall ever having played it much. I played it yesterday and had a blast! I find this game much most accessible than Defender.

To me it looks like a porting job... most Atari programmers would have taken advantage of the bigger palette.

Great little game though!

aquatron.png

It's certainly been pirated on the Apple front...

• Like 1