IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

I was a writer and producer for Gameplay: The Story of the Videogame Revolution. You can read about it here: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/taxonomy/term/3867 and here: http://gameplaymovie.com/ . It's loosely based on some of my previous books.

Trailer looks interesting. I think I'd like to see that.

I'm not sure if I can reveal the exact number of games for the Intellivision Flashback at this point, but most won't be disappointed. It will contain over half the original Mattel/INTV run of games (sans what would more or less be duplicates) with just a few notable exceptions due to licensing or compatibility issues (and nothing from the KC or ECS). If there's a 2015 edition, that may possibly include ECS, homebrews, and a couple of the missing titles that are not restricted due to licensing. There's no exact date for release, but it will be this year, and definitely by the holidays. Their usual release schedule starts in the September timeframe I believe. We should know more in a few months.

Awesome! I'd love to see a future version with ECS, maybe where you could use a bluetooth keyboard.

• Like 1

How secure is a 2015 release with more games? Will it include the overlays that the 2014 will get?

A lot of what happens in 2015 depends on how well the 2014 version does. I wouldn't necessarily count on overlays again, but that's pure speculation on my part. If neither the Intellivision nor ColecoVision Flashbacks do well, we won't be seeing more. Obviously, I hope they do well since I really love both platforms and want to see them get more mainstream exposure. It's also possible that if these do well we might even see SD card slots in the 2015 versions, though that all depends on the willingness of the licensee, of course (Sega = yes, Atari = no, for instance). Again, my personal wishlist for these products for 2015 is to make the switch to HDMI instead of composite. We'll see I guess. For now, I think for what they are, even if the 2014 versions are the last, they'll be fun collectibles and a valuable source of additional controllers.

• Like 3

They should go after G-Mode for a licensing deal.

They're in the business of licensing much of the old Data East library out so I assume they're not overvaluing their IP and some of Mattel/INTV's best 1st party work were Data East based. BurgerTime, Bump 'N' Jump, Diner, Lock 'N' Chase, and Deadly Dogs (A hidden version included on Dig Dug of Tron: Deadly Discs with the Tron IP stripped out with a Burgertime theme in its place) would go a long way towards helping this reach its full potential.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm still wishing there could be a Macintosh Flashback...

post-12574-0-58760300-1398217131_thumb.jpg

...a monochrome LED screen (behind a curved, plastic view plate to simulate a CRT), a few classic software titles; a recreation of the 1984 $2,500 Apple computer ($5,595 in today's dollars!) for under a hundred bucks. How cool would that be?

• Like 1

I'm still wishing there could be a Macintosh Flashback...

attachicon.gifmacintosh.jpg

...a monochrome LED screen (behind a curved, plastic view plate to simulate a CRT), a few classic software titles; a recreation of the 1984 $2,500 Apple computer ($5,595 in today's dollars!) for under a hundred bucks. How cool would that be?

That would be cool and likely a strong seller, but I suspect Apple, like Nintendo, would never allow something like that to ever officially happen. I am heartened by the rumors of Hyperkin releasing a possible DOSBox console as one of the potential follow-ups to the RetroN5, though, so at least there's that.

• Like 1

Bill,

Has it been confirmed that this unit will in fact be a source of replacement controllers? If so, that would be great in itself. Here's hoping these units do well so that new units will be produced for 2015 and beyond.

I can't confirm it 100% until I personally do the testing (I'll test it on a few different Intellivision II's), but yes, they're wired (removable) controllers literally modeled after the internal design of the originals, including all 16 directions. There are some cosmetic changes, of course, so it's not a 1:1 recreation in that regard, but it's functionally the same. My biggest question after making sure they function 100% on the original hardware is whether or not they actually improve upon the originals like arguably the Atari Flashback 3 and 4 did. That to me would be incredibly exciting after all the practical stuff, i.e., not causing any issues with original hardware.

• Like 3

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the D&D games.

StephenJ

Under their D&D names, no, not going to happen. The D&D brand is STRICTLY controlled by Wizards of the Coast, and I know from personal experience they are a you-know-what to work with. However, they could have used working names for the games (like Dungeon or Quest) and released them that way.

Under their D&D names, no, not going to happen. The D&D brand is STRICTLY controlled by Wizards of the Coast, and I know from personal experience they are a you-know-what to work with. However, they could have used working names for the games (like Dungeon or Quest) and released them that way.

My guess is they will release them on the plug n play system under the names "Adventure" and "Minotaur" like they did on Intellivision Lives.

I can't confirm it 100% until I personally do the testing (I'll test it on a few different Intellivision II's), but yes, they're wired (removable) controllers literally modeled after the internal design of the originals, including all 16 directions. There are some cosmetic changes, of course, so it's not a 1:1 recreation in that regard, but it's functionally the same. My biggest question after making sure they function 100% on the original hardware is whether or not they actually improve upon the originals like arguably the Atari Flashback 3 and 4 did. That to me would be incredibly exciting after all the practical stuff, i.e., not causing any issues with original hardware.

That would be amazing I would certainly purchase 2 or more! ;-)

Other than this thread I guess.....why haven't AT Games released and info or teasers? Something that would go viral and possibly utilize social media and game forums to create a buzz about the product.

There was a picture of Keith Robinson and the AtGames guys on his facebook page today taken at Rock'n'Brews Outdoor Beer Garden.... Not sure whether that's enough to make the news go viral, though...

There was a picture of Keith Robinson and the AtGames guys on his facebook page today taken at Rock'n'Brews Outdoor Beer Garden.... Not sure whether that's enough to make the news go viral, though...

We need more than that!

• Like 1

As was pointed out here, it looks like Toys R Us has most of the upcoming Atari, Intellivision, and Sega Flashbacks for pre-order: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174007-intellivision-ebay-roundup/?p=2981267

Notably absent is the ColecoVision one, but that's not shocking since the packaging for that was the last to be finalized.