IGNORED

Joysticks & the TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

With all these new games coming out for the TI, it's time to retire the 'Hand Buster's', (the original TI joysticks). I was going to make my own, but realized I just don't have the time. Anyway this Wico joystick looks good so far....

$T2eC16dHJIYFHNo-tmE!BSU1dFKrc!~~60_57.J

... or is there something better and longer lasting out there that you can recommend?

I like those Wico sticks. They use leaf switches, so they tend to be very long-lasting; I've got a set of two that I've had since the mid-80s, although I've had to replace the cables. Another one I like to use with the 99/4A is the Epyx 500XJ, which uses microswitches, and of course there's always the good old Atari CX-40. Having an Atari joystick adapter opens up lots of joystick options for the 99/4A.

• Like 2

Another one I like to use with the 99/4A is the Epyx 500XJ, which uses microswitches, and of course there's always the good old Atari CX-40. Having an Atari joystick adapter opens up lots of joystick options for the 99/4A.

This. Plus, I like the Suncom TAC joysticks. These have a metal ball which touches stationary metal plates around the ball. VERY durable and responsive.

• Like 1

I always preferred the standard Atari joysticks. Perhaps it is because my brothers and I had worked them in enough where the plastic piece inside (which provides the tension to set them on center) was not too stiff. I still have a pair and some spare parts to keep them operational :)

The Wico pictured above always seemed strange to me -- gripping that entire stick and firing from the top made for terrible response time. Geneally speaking, the closer you are to the base the less you need to move and the more responsive it can be. The Prostick II was nice in that respect, though the ball on top was better suited for my Buick's manual transmission shifter knob. :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the advice. I think save2600 had a good point about how tall that one Wico joystick was. Also ,the micro-switches appear to be a drawback, while the leaf switches in the Wico's are a plus. Also from what I've been told the Wico's are nearly indestructible.

So what did I end up with? I just purchased the Wico "Red Ball" off of Ebay (pictured below), it looks shorter, more like an arcade style stick and the price was right $20.00 (shipping was included).

$(KGrHqMOKpIFJBfFJc(gBSRoCIbqcQ~~60_57.J

I think I'll be happy with it!

Thanks again for all your input!

• Like 2

I never liked those Wicos or any of the flight stick-type controllers. Probably because I was never a full-grip player. I always used the inside of my thumb and forefinger, potentially a relic from my Atari 2600 days. But that is how I still prefer to play, even when I play stand-up arcade games I have my joystick palm on the console. I absolutely hated the flat controllers made popular by the NES, but I adjusted to the Sega controllers. I cannot remember at the moment, but there was a particular controller I liked the best of any I have ever used... I think it was the small X Box controller, but it seems there was another. The CD32 controllers are nice, but not oriented ergonomically for me.

• Like 1

I never liked those Wicos or any of the flight stick-type controllers. Probably because I was never a full-grip player. I always used the inside of my thumb and forefinger, potentially a relic from my Atari 2600 days. But that is how I still prefer to play, even when I play stand-up arcade games I have my joystick palm on the console. I absolutely hated the flat controllers made popular by the NES, but I adjusted to the Sega controllers. I cannot remember at the moment, but there was a particular controller I liked the best of any I have ever used... I think it was the small X Box controller, but it seems there was another. The CD32 controllers are nice, but not oriented ergonomically for me.

I would have liked something like the unit below, but in all black with no wild graphics and with the joystick on the right side, not the left. Also, I have no clue if it's an analog joystick or digital, if it's analog it cannot be converted for the TI. But this looks like something you might be right at home with.

$(KGrHqZHJFEFGBVGsV1sBRnw,1hBj!~~60_3.JP

• Like 1

I would have liked something like the unit below, but in all black with no wild graphics and with the joystick on the right side, not the left. Also, I have no clue if it's an analog joystick or digital, if it's analog it cannot be converted for the TI. But this looks like something you might be right at home with.

I reckon you are correct about that. During my short NES days I had quite a fondness for the NES Advantage.

post-27864-0-77748100-1395841474_thumb.jpg

AND I have a Sega Arcade Power Stick for my Genesis/Sega CD system:

post-27864-0-11896200-1395841254_thumb.jpg

About joystick i think the Albatros One is the Best i used and with and Y Joy Cable i can use it on the TI99, it's a Microswitch Joystick: post-24673-0-90255500-1381655322_thumb.jpg

i am trying to use GamePad too and this is a real good feedback: post-24673-0-45951700-1381655536_thumb.jpg

another test i doing it's on Original NES GamePADs they are modified for working on a TI99, but are not perfect still... : post-24673-0-76428500-1381655638_thumb.jpg

another controller i used is the Trackball and this is very very great on some games, i using the trackball for play Neverlander too ! :D ... : post-24673-0-17229200-1381655936_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well I got my joystick today, it was NOT as pictured. I'm kind of bummed out about it. I knew it was a used joystick, but the one that was pictured in the auction << HERE >> was not the one I received. I would not have purchased it if I knew it was going to be this thrashed looking.

If you are logged in, click on photo to zoom in.
The fire button shows more wear, the top is dinged next to where it say's, "BASE" and even the letters are gouged.
Now I cannot really complain about the worn stick, because it does not show up well in the photo, or even the bottom as it was not shown... but I had to replace the missing rubber feet too. I just hope it works well... I'll be getting my adapter tomorrow.

another test i doing it's on Original NES GamePADs they are modified for working on a TI99, but are not perfect still... : attachicon.gif20131013_105937.jpg

another controller i used is the Trackball and this is very very great on some games, i using the trackball for play Neverlander too ! :D ... : attachicon.gif20131013_111632.jpg

I use converted NES game pads as well. They are the most comfortable for me. Not really good for maze games as they tend to go diagonal more than straight vertical or horizontal. They are very easy to to convert. I only have one pad not two. Where did you put all the diodes to separate the two sets of inputs ?

Hi Marc, yes i think the same about using them only in some games :) ...

as i write in the description they are not perfect still... at now only one is working... i will study this old project for repair them...

i will post a complete article about this project, so i hope someone will help me if i will not be able to do it ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...