IGNORED

AvP Beta availability

crash

Hi,

I read a post indicating that one of the AvP betas was very playable and in some ways superior to the released version. Is there anywhere to get one of these? I noticed there was a limited run on another site at one time, but I can't find any other information about the roms or the various versions of the betas in existence. Thanks!

Edited by crash

There's a beta that has, I believe, a better framerate but that's because a lot of things from the released version are missing:

- The HUD is different.

- Sounds are missing or placeholders.

- Different weapon sprites for the marine.

There's also an alpha out there:

- Completely different sprites for the alien.

- Different weapons for the marine.

- Very limited A.I.

- Different HUD.

- Lives for the marine character

I don't think either are superior to the released version but they are interesting nonetheless.

Maybe they meant the frame rate. I had read a post somewhere that someone was saying AvP was one of the best Jaguar games, particularly the beta. I've played the original, and was curious to see the beta but haven't seen the rom that I could try in an emulator or anything. Oh well, these limited edition things get tiring. Clearly there is demand; I'm not sure why someone doesn't continue to manufacture carts that people will buy.

Maybe they meant the frame rate. I had read a post somewhere that someone was saying AvP was one of the best Jaguar games, particularly the beta. I've played the original, and was curious to see the beta but haven't seen the rom that I could try in an emulator or anything. Oh well, these limited edition things get tiring. Clearly there is demand; I'm not sure why someone doesn't continue to manufacture carts that people will buy.

AVP is without a doubt one of the Jaguar's best games. The beta version is interesting, well I find most betas interesting they are what brought me here to begin with, but it's certainly not better than the released game. I don't think anybody whose played it would say otherwise.

I agree the limited releases can be tiresome but we get plenty of new releases for a system with such a small fanbase that we shouldn't complain too much.

It might be worth searching the web for the beta, I'm sure it's around somewhere...

Hi,

There are a number of people posting listings of all the alpha and beta roms that they have, but no indication as to where they got them, which I understand. I own all of the Jaguar games that I enjoy (and several that I don't ;), so this is just a curiosity. My only complaint with this sort of thing, is where the work has been put into developing a hardware or software, and demand still exists, why not sell more and make some money off of the effort? I alternate between various Atari systems, focusing on the 8-bit for a while, then the STs, maybe the 7800, or the Jaguar, so sometimes I miss when a new thing comes out. Fortunately some people do several production runs if there are enough people that commit, and I'm not sure I've seen a situation where they didn't sell out of any extras that were made. Then there are the other ones. I don't understand why they don't make more copies of Battlesphere, for example, as there are people willing to pay $600 for a copy, so they could easily charge $100 per copy and sell at a profit. I don't care as much that my copies of Battlesphere would lose dollar value, because like most people, I would be unlikely to ever sell them anyway.

• Like 1

I suppose a lot of it comes down to the fact that there will always be one person who missed the last run, they could be new to the community or they simply couldn't afford to buy at the time and now can. It's a shame but if you're making and releasing games you're investing time and effort upfront with little profit, and quite probably a lot of hassle, in return. I haven't done this myself so I can only imagine the trauma involved, afterall Jag fans are a tempestuous bunch even when things are going well... :)

Most items can still be acquired for reasonable prices but you do have to be patient, those who want something "NOW" will pay anything which can distort prices for a short while.

BattleSphereTM is a subject that's been debated to death, resurrected and killed again so many times I'd throw every copy into Mount Doom if I could, simply to end it once and for all.

• Like 3