IGNORED

Rip Cord

RKGames

The Label looks great!!! cool stuff!! I'm glad to hear there is interest in the revamped version of the game! I will do my best to please all sides. I made some good progress late last night on the game. the video update for next week should be really neat. i'll post it sometime next Saturday morning! hopefully I'll have even more done by then.

It just goes to show how passionate this community is about the ColecoVision vaporware titles. Any guy who turns any of the vaporware titles into a real game is a hero for the rest of us. :)

• Like 2

It just goes to show how passionate this community is about the ColecoVision vaporware titles. Any guy who turns any of the vaporware titles into a real game is a hero for the rest of us. :)

Coool! Whats good about Side Trak and Rip Cord for me, is these are two games i truly wanted as a kid! so alot of love is going into my versions! Rip cord is nicely coming along!!! I'm not sure why exactly but i was always a fan of Exidy games in particular for the coleco!!! I'm not 100% but i'm not aware of any other vapor ware Exidy games for coleco once Rip Cord is done?! I told my brother tonight that i am finally now working on Rip Cord, he was excited and cant wait to finally play it also :)

• Like 2

Love all the labels and all the efforts here!

I made a label for Rip Cord a while back. This is true-to-authentic Coleco style with authentic fonts, and the logo was completely redrawn with vectors and rendered in 600 dpi graphics. Attached is a compressed JPG.

Glad to hear you're programming the game, Russ! I love the ideas you and others have expressed about updating the game. I'm all for incorporating modern ideas into an awesome ColecoVision work of art!

post-28334-0-98758100-1382326103_thumb.jpg

Youki loves authenticity but I would rather have a great game.

To say hey we could have great daniel music and awesome extra levels but we are not going to do that coleco would have never done that is crazy.

Well coleco wouldn't have made any of these great games either because they would have quickly pieced together a crappy game for your money.

They had no programming skills and would have never accomplished the great games youki makes either.

My point of view here, concerns only Vaporware announced by coleco. :) . In general i would rather have a great game as you. :)

It is hard to explain. Nostalgy i guess. That 's a game that would have been released in 82 or 83 by coleco , so i expect to see something of that time with coleco touch.

Anyway, i'm looking foward to what ever you will produce even if i don't get something "authentic" , i'm sure we will have a great game! :)

Edited by youki

Thanks man! an improved version of Rip Cord, coming up!

Just a curiosity question here... You're using a MAME ROM or something similar as a point of reference right? I'm guess yes, since there's not much left out there. Just askin'.

Edited by Kamshaft

Just a curiosity question here... You're using a MAME ROM or something similar as a point of reference right? I'm guess yes, since there's not much left out there. Just askin'.

Yes, i'm using the mame version as reference to make sure it's like the arcade. Same thing i did with Side Trak :)

Take care,

Russ

• Like 1

I have been reading and following this since, like many of you, I always wanted this game back in the day for the CV. But I admit I don't recall ever seeing the arcade machine back in my youth.

I guess I would prefer it to be as close to the original Coleco games as possible myself, with the blue game selection screen etc. since this was "supposed" to be released. And I think Luc/Pixelboy came up with a nice compromise above about offering options on which version you wish to play. But with that said I don't want it to get too complicated either, if that makes any sense. I guess what I mean is don't let your brain explode Russ, if you can work all of this out, fine, if not that is fine too. I just want to play this game!

I think that Rip Cord is in pretty good hands. Russ seems to have a true love of doing this and a great eye for details, so I am not worried to much really. I suspect he will deliver a great game, and I look forward to getting the game, plugging into my ColecoVision, and going back in time.

I guess I would prefer it to be as close to the original Coleco games as possible myself, with the blue game selection screen etc. since this was "supposed" to be released. And I think Luc/Pixelboy came up with a nice compromise above about offering options on which version you wish to play. But with that said I don't want it to get too complicated either, if that makes any sense. I guess what I mean is don't let your brain explode Russ, if you can work all of this out, fine, if not that is fine too. I just want to play this game!

I don't have any priviledged info or anything, but I think Russ just wants to include different scenery and place the landing pads in different locations on the screen. The core mechanics of the original arcade game should remain the same. Am I right, Russ? :)

I don't have any priviledged info or anything, but I think Russ just wants to include different scenery and place the landing pads in different locations on the screen. The core mechanics of the original arcade game should remain the same. Am I right, Russ? :)

I don't have any priviledged info either, just what I know from his videos. He seems to have a knack for quality from what I have seen is all. Not that others don't by any means!! I wasn't implying that at all. I was referring to your post about the possibilities of different options at the start of the game, as in which version you wanted to play at boot up is all. Maybe I wasn't clear and I apoligize for any confusion.

Edited by 65Gamerguy

I don't have any priviledged info either, just what I know from his videos. He seems to have a knack for quality from what I have seen is all. Not that others don't by any means!! I wasn't implying that at all. I was referring to your post about the possibilities of different options at the start of the game, as in which version you wanted to play at boot up is all. Maybe I wasn't clear and I apoligize for any confusion.

I do plan on the 3 modes (arcade, coleco, and a new missions / neo rip cord mode). no idea what the name of the larger game mode will be, i know i keep say missions mode, but who knows. yes i do plan on using menus similar to the original coleco for game selection options, but it will not look quite the same do to the number of options in the game. i will look into triggering the bios menu for coleco mode as pixelboy said. The larger game mode will be as pixel boy implied, same game mechanics, but with different landing areas and perhaps a new enemy type or 2 for the later levels. seeing that the main game is so easy and small to code I'm thinking of adding new levels to add to the fun. but again, the original coleco version will be in the game for those who just want to play the same level over and over for max points!

Hope this helps a bit, but please feel free to ask any questions about the game. ultimately i want to make sure it will be an enjoyable game for everyone!!!

Take care,

Russ

• Like 5

Same here. I think the biggest challenge will be to correctly reproduce the "fumbling and tumbling fall" from the arcade version, which happens when you touch a chopper or a piece of terrain other than the landing pad. :)

Totally agree, the tumbling effect will be a challenge. I've got a good plan of attack for coding it and hope to start on that part sometime next week. I'm currently focusing on the player coming out of the plan and the drifting as he falls to the ground section of the game.

Take care,

Russ

Yes i'm planning on an arcade mode. as well as a New Missions mode with 30 to 40 levels with different layouts! I'm also planning on adding wind to the game to make things more challenging.

It's up to the others on here. I personally never really liked the coleco Skill Levels screen, but if others want it in the game i will add it! because i'm planning on an arcade, Coleco, and missions modes i already will need a new UI for game options selection. I hate to just release the game with 1 screen as the arcade had. The Coleco mode will indeed just be the 1 screen version to be true to the original release, but with increasing difficulty as the player progresses.

Also if there are any musicians out there (DAN!!!) that would be interested in working on the music / sfx on the game let me know!!!

Take care,

Russ

Since I didn't remember the arcade game I just watched a video of the game, about 6 minutes or so and I tend to think the one screen does get repetitive. So I like your idea of different screens with different layouts and landing places. I think that would add more to the game myself. I wonder how you plan to implement this though, so many succesful landings and you go to another screen, or by points, or at random? In your arcade mode will it be in black and white, or color? I am just asking is all. I don't know how much memory all the options you mentioned will take up, but I guess I would vote for as many as possible. But I don't want to make things so complex that it becomes a pain for you to program. Just my two cents worth, it is your game and however you do it is not as big of a deal to me since I really look forward to playing it when it is released! Keep up the great work!