IGNORED

Sentinel PAL to NTSC conversion

rhcocker

I'm well aware of DSP+. I was merely iterating ARM could potentially be utilized for other consoles, possibly with fantastic benefits. NES was really one of the first consoles to be truly exploited by cartridge hardware. Well, SNES too, and that one Genesis game, Virtua Racing. Sega should have stuck it out with the Virtua processor as the answer to SNES FX, rather than building that clunky 32X addon... :ponder:

Sega should have stuck it out with the Virtua processor as the answer to SNES FX, rather than building that clunky 32X addon...

The 32X was not an answer to the SNES FX cartridge chip (Or any other cartridge chip based expansion of the SNES); rather, it was developed in response to the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO, in addition to fear of the Sega Saturn not being released in a timely manner.

By the time the final product actually hit the sales market, the 32X was being touted as a low cost/alternative way to bridge Genesis users from 16-bit to 32-bit gaming. The Sega 32X contains two 32-bit RISC processors in addition to a new 3D GPU for the 16-bit Genesis.

Sega responded to 3DO's taunting of the 32X being a "band-aid" solution to an aging/outdated system platform, by stating it had the benefit of still playing 16-bit Genesis games while allowing new 32-bit games to be developed and played on the same system architecture as the 32-bit Saturn.

Nonetheless, we're a little off topic of "Sentinel PAL to NTSC conversion" or anything "7800". :)

• Like 1

Each system has its strengths. For example, it is surprising that the Atari 8-bit computers (Introduced in 1979!) have a 256 color palette (as Atari 7800) while the Master System has only a 64 color palette.

In any case, programmers and artists always make the difference. :)

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 1

I am in the middle of debugging RLW stuff and waiting for another link, but I'll just say this real quick: "Dude, I bet we could slap an ARM into a cart that directly accesses on-cart RAM and create basic commands to trigger flat or Gouraud shaded 3D rendering into said RAM.".

I ain't going there, but I bet it can be done. ;)

It would probably be more timeline appropriate to cram a 65816 in the cart instead. Granted, whether they were as low-powered as ARM back then, I do not claim to know. I'm assuming not, otherwise Atari Corp would've crammed the 65816 into the Lynx instead of the 6502.

CPUWIZ, I finally got the best light gun and plugged the Sentinel repro in the 7800. Plugged it into the right port and thought it was broken at first. Unlike the NES, you plug the light gun into the left port, not the right. :P

For some reason why I'm not getting any audio on my TV? Is that normal? Also, on my mom's CRT, the gun tends to shoot a couple of inches left of where I point it, even if I hold it to the screen.

Okay thanks, got it. Game is tough. I just barely made it to the first boss eatlier tonight and died. Played some more but my mom was ready for bed (was playing on her bedroom CRT) and I obviously can't use it on the living room HDTV so I just turned it off. The light gun appears to miss alot, although it appears to be a timing issue with the CRT beam rather than lightgun precision.

I got NIB copies of Crossbow, Meltdown, and Barnyard Blaster from Atari2600 dotcom. Alien Brigade was too expensive NIB but I scored a loose one for $25 off Amazon. That makes 5 lightgun games total for 7800; am I missing anything?

CPUWIZ, I finally got the best light gun and plugged the Sentinel repro in the 7800. Plugged it into the right port and thought it was broken at first. Unlike the NES, you plug the light gun into the left port, not the right. :P

For some reason why I'm not getting any audio on my TV? Is that normal? Also, on my mom's CRT, the gun tends to shoot a couple of inches left of where I point it, even if I hold it to the screen.

Change the left difficulty switch...that will enable the audio

• 2 weeks later...